Author Topic: Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 58161 times)

Offline skulldan

Re: Lynx Portable (and maybe wireless) Channel Tester
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2011, »
Just watched the demo.

Looks good.
1 feature suggestion...
could you use the decimal point character on the LED display to indicate what mode it is in
ie.  if it is channel mode light the decimal point between the 1s and 10s digit and if it is in dimmer mode light the 10s and 100s digit.

Dan
Dan

building my collection of blinkys

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2011, »
Yes, we thought about using the decimal points. In fact, Mike added a trace to an available PIC pin in the PCB layout. However, I would prefer to conserve as much power as possible. That's why I also suppress leading zeros on the LED display. I assumed labels next to the slide switch would be sufficient to indicate the mode, and personally I think it would be more intuitive. But if enough people think using the decimals are more intuitive than labels by the switch, I would consider it. I think you'd probably have to add labels below the decimal points anyway to indicate what it means. Tough call. Like I said, we have discussed it.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2011, »
Dave,

I love it!

How about a 9v battery pack - multiples in parallel and some kind of power save mode after a timeout like you do with the data settings?

<pop..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2011, »
Yeah, the PIC does have a sleep mode, but that would interrupt the DMX stream. Might as well power it down that being the case. If you're talking about shutting down the LED output, that's a possibility. The downside is you could leave the device on, not know it and kill the batteries. Maybe that's a possible use for the decimal point? Hmmm...food thought.  Thanks!

As far as multiple 9v batteries in parallel, I haven't seen any enclosures with that kind of setup. We really want an enclosure with a built-in battery compartment. Like I mentioned in the video, we're still toying around with battery options. If we can come up with a nice way to incorporate a wireless transmitter that runs on 3.3v (RJ?), we can quit worrying about powering the Lynx Tx and switch to an enclosure that takes 4 AAA or AA batteries. As Mike pointed out to me, the problem with a 6v battery setup is the lack of headroom over a 5v regulator (what the Lynx Tx has). I actually tried some used (but not dead) batteries in a 6v configuration to power the Lynx Tx and it wouldn't function correctly. The batteries have to be fresh for that to work. Mike is looking at the alternatives for power. Hopefully he'll chime in on the power options. He's way more capable than I am in the hardware dept.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2011, »
Great Job!

I will get with you on some answers for you to think about.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline gforman

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2011, »
Thanks for Sharing the video and your time and talents.
this is fun to watch  <pop..

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline batdive

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2011, »
Looks good and cool to see the progress from forum post to breadboard design. 

Waiting for some more...  <pop..

Still hoping sometime down the line for a wireless strength meter for the "multi house" or larger landscape set up  ;D

-JS

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2011, »
Take a look at this enclosure...FWIW

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

<pop..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2011, »
Looks good and cool to see the progress from forum post to breadboard design.  

Waiting for some more...  <pop..

Still hoping sometime down the line for a wireless strength meter for the "multi house" or larger landscape set up  ;D

-JS

Check this out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline n1ist

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2011, »
I have ordered a panel of prototype boards.  I'm not sure if they will get delayed by the Chinese Spring Festival (a lot of board houses shut down for two weeks...).   
/mike

Offline egenoup

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2011, »
I have been testing the Channel tester with a couple of LE's.  I also through in the wireless equipment and played around with the tester.  So far it looks like Dlhoppe has a winner!  The following is a video of the LE's responding to the channel tester in wired and wireless modes.  There is a small issue that seems to be related to the wireless TX/RX or EX/RX, but RJ will have to chime in and he is currently a very busy guy.  Thanks RJ for being busy for us and doing the large LE COOP! 

The link to the video is: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Enjoy,

CharlesS

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2011, »
Hi Charles

Great video. Thats for showing both wired and wireless

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2011, »
Nicely done Charles. Keep pounding on it!   :)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2011, »
Excellent work!  I know I'd be interested...

I was going to suggest and LED for a power indicator but since the displays already have one then no sense in adding more hardware to this.  I love the idea you have here!  I can see myself praising you while using it during a troubleshooting frenzy! lol

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2011, »
One thing that you might want to consider is a seperate battery pack for the unit itself.  Perhaps something with a belt clip so you don't have to hold on to it and large enough to hold a RC type 7.2V nicad battery pack.  This would give you the voltage head room needed for 6V devices, allow much more run time between recharging, and provide more than enough power for a full strength transmitter that can run for extended periods of time as well.  I would also consider one other function for the device, a pulse or alternating command capability.  RJ had planned to put this function in the Ver 2 dongle but with everything else he has on his plate and with the new Smartstring stuff comming out, who knows if he will ever have the time to complete it.  I would make it an option in your all channel function.  The purpose for it would be to test transmitter locations.  You could put it in this mode and walk around your yard to possible transmitter locations while watching your display.  If any part of it stops blinking or does not start  then you know that you have a dead spot in that location and may need to find a better location for the transmitter.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving