Author Topic: EX/RX with LOR  (Read 3144 times)

Offline basis21b

EX/RX with LOR
« on: January 02, 2011, »
I know LOR equipment can be used with DMX and I know the pinout of the cabling for LOR is different than the LE and other hardware here at DIYLA.  I'm interested in knowing if anyone has been successful in using the wireless mod from the wiki, or a variation of it, to connect the EX/RX to an LOR board.    (Link to the referenced mod - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Anything that can eliminate cat5 from the yard so it doesn't turn into chew toys for the tree rats is a positive in my book.
Tom B

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: EX/RX with LOR
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, »
The mod should work with any device that does DMX, uses a 75176 or compatible chip, and is receive-only.  The only potential gotcha is whether there's sufficient 5V available to run the EX/RX.
/mike

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, »
The standalone RX or TX/RX in RX mode should work OK.  But I would suggest not using the mod which is used with the LE/RX for controllers such as the MR16 and SSR4 since we do not know if other controllers can support the power requirements.

Bill

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, »
The Wiki lists using the EX/RX as OK for the SSR4, MR16, and Freestyle.  As for others, the big issue is indeed the power requirements.
/mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, »
Just remember that if you switch your LOR controllers over to DMX mode to take advantage of RJ's wireless components, you will also lose the LOR controllers built in functions as they don't work in DMX mode.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Wiki lists using the EX/RX as OK for the SSR4, MR16, and Freestyle.  As for others, the big issue is indeed the power requirements.
/mike

Sorry for the confusion, I meat to say in my post that using the same mod for wireless that is used for Lynx controllers like the MR16...etc....  Would not be advised for non Lynx controllers due to several fsctors such as power requirments.  Using the mod for any Lynx controller is OK since we know the design of those controllers.

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, »
Plus unauthorized mods to a commercial board could be a problem if you send it back to the manufacture for repair.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk and just use like Bill said the stand along RX with the cat5 output.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, »
Just remember that if you switch your LOR controllers over to DMX mode to take advantage of RJ's wireless components, you will also lose the LOR controllers built in functions as they don't work in DMX mode.

Still learning here and doing lots of research. By the above do you mean fades, twinkles, etc?

Thanks to everyone for sharing and educating us newbies.

Brian

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, »

Still learning here and doing lots of research. By the above do you mean fades, twinkles, etc?

Brian

That is correct. 

Offline basis21b

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, »
I believe fades will still work but twinkle and shimmer will not.
Tom B

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, »
Fades will not work either as there is no DMX command for FADE just like there is none for twinkle or shimmer either.  Now you can of course make the LOR controllers dim, twinkle, shimmer, and fade in DMX mode but that is done by sending the correct stream of DMX commands just like you would need to fo to make the Express do it.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, »
So if I used LOR S2 software to sequence then it uses built-in LOR cmds to signal the hdw to perform those effects, but if you used Vixen or other pgm  then the LOR hdw would still perform those effects but by using the dmx instead of the built-in LOR functions.  Assuming that you use the correct dongels in each case. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, »
Pretty much.  If you use S2 and the LOR dongle, then you are sending commands in LOR native mode so you have access to the LOR hardware built in functions.  If you put the LOR units in DMX mode and use a DMX dongle, then these commands and functions are no longer available and you will need to issue a constant stream of DMX commands to simulate these functions.  Fortunantly, some of the DMX sequencing software has built in functions that will help you to do this.  If you want to use RJ's TX/RX units, they are DMX only devices and using them with LOR units will require the LOR units to be used in DMX only mode.