Author Topic: Vixen wont start  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Sabre03

Vixen wont start
« on: January 03, 2011, »
I downloaded vixen and when i click on it I see a bunch of files.  How do I open this program?  I watched the youtube videos, and it just wont work, is there a trick?  Im running windows xp.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: Vixen wont start
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, »
Yes, I think in XP, the Vixen icon doesn't display until after the first launch.

First, view your folder with "details" (click on "View" in the menu bar of the folder and then click on "details"). Toward the bottom of the directory are two files named "Vixen" -- one is the HTML help file (it's first and weighs in about 260kb) and the second is the actual Vixen application (it's about 530kb).

Double-click on that second Vixen file and the application should launch. After you've launched it the first time, the icon should appear in the folder and you can then easily tell which is which.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, »
Also,
When you click on the file that you downloaded, it will bring up a bunch of files. These files need to be extracted to a Vixen folder. You can't run the program until you extract the files.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Sabre03

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, »
it makes a little house pop up and thats all it does.  There is some message box that pops up behind the house but I cant read it or move it to read it.

Offline travailen

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, »
is there a grey box below the little house? If so what does it say?

Rick S

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, »
Do you have .Net installed?  I think Vixen requires .Net 3.5, but I'm not positive.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Sabre03

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, »
Nothing pops up below it, just behind it.  But I cant read it.  .net has been installed I followed the link from Vixen to .net download

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, »
Just unzip the files into a folder on the C drive.  My is C:\Vixen.  Then open that folder, find vixen.exe and RIGHT CLICK on it.  Select "send to" the "desktop (create a shortcut)".  You should then have an icon on your desktop to start vixen.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nothing pops up below it, just behind it.  But I cant read it.  .net has been installed I followed the link from Vixen to .net download

Try holding down the Alt key and then hit the tab key to see if that pops up the hidden box.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, »

that is a window that say publisher npt verified and has a RUN that you need to click on, What I did was left click and hold down on the blue part sticking out past the house and drag it over to see it. I just installed Vixen on my Work Laptop  (<fp.  shh shh don't tell ) if you have any more ?'s just ask
Jeff

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, »
What version did you download?  I made the mistake of trying the latest one first (seemed logical) but it turns out 2.1.x is the stable one that works. 
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."