Author Topic: Smart Strings with different pixels?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
Smart Strings with different pixels?
« on: January 04, 2011, »
If the smart string uses it's own chip (made for RJ to run the different voltage)  what would be the possibility of offering a different pixel type?  I am a D-Light user and utilize several firefli strings in my display.  Cost wise it seems that it would be much more efficient to do a single longer pixel string in place of the 4 firefli strings I am currently using.  However... I like the look/size of the pixels and most people viewing the show want to know how I make those C9's change colors!?  I'm not jazzed about the idea of using a diffuser/lense/cover. Any ideas, thoughts?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Smart Strings with different pixels?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, »
The chip is not made for me the nodes were design to my needs with an existing chip that had not been used for nodes before.

As far as controlling you other strings I do not know anything about them but I would not expect them to be controllable by Smart string controllers.

RJ
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, »
I guess what I'm saying is, I want to go to smaller controllers located on/in each of my display items.  I like the small smart string controllers and I like the possibility of individual pixel control.  What I want to know is, is there any possibility of changing or offering different pixels?  My roof line is all C9's and I love that.  What I don't want to have to do is order these pixels and then use lenses or covers on them.  I like the firefli lenses/pixel styles and know that I can order these pixels (or similar ones).  I would make a larger investment in the smart controllers if I knew they could be used with other pixel types.  There is also the waterproofing issues you have mentioned with these.  I really don't want to dip over a thousand nodes.  If you are ordering 50k plus worth of pixels, can't the factory waterproof them with your method?  Several of my ideas really only need 1 or two pixels.  I know I can order the $7 3 channel DMX controllers from aliExpress and run those on one universe, just a suggestion to make these things even more appealing.  I really like them, want to love them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, by magii »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, »
Anything might be possible with enough money but not at this go around. There will lots of options as time goes on. I though the firefly were like the LOR CCR which I showed the version for Smart Strings.

RJ

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The arches in this video are fireflis.  Individual pixels, about 1.5" in diameter.  8" spacing.  From the street they look like C9's.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, »
In the What is a lynx smart string? thread RJ has a video showing some of the other products other than just the nodes that he will offer. One is a square with 3 5050 rgb's on it. I plan to order a couple of these along with my Megatree nodes to see if they will appear to look like a c9's or c7's at the distance most people view my display. If they do I will probably use those to convert my house next year to RGB. Fasteddie had some similar lights on his roof this year and from the videos it appears to look like a single light to me but I would like to see for myself. RJ is also going to have a ccr type of flexible led strip for about 1/3 of a ccr price and also those 3 led rectangle modules. If you can find his attachment in that thread you will see what I mean.

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, »
I use two firefli systems in my display and the firefli pixels use a sd600 chip on the pixels.  The firefli controller emulates 3 16-channel d-light controllers and converts the LOR/D-light protocol into the signal required to control the sd600 chip.

I'm sure it has been posted, but I can't remember where, but I think the smart string nodes use a different chip on the node.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, »
What is the waterproof issue? I seem to recall a video of the lights working in a water bowl for many hours???

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, »
RJ just posted a video of how to dip the pixels in a plastic coat (or similar) to seal the openings between the wires at the base and provide another layer of UV.  I just think it's a little ridiculous to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on these pixels to have to turn around and fix them.  There has been lots of discussion on using diffusers, etc.  I know RJ is designing them for his use and making them available to us (love that) but it seems like it would be great if we had options on pixels.  I did go back and find the video he did of the different types, including one "firefli" like pixel string.  Hoping that any group buy will include these as an option.  At $160 per 16 pixel string, the firefli is getting to expensive to use for the quantity I hope to have.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, »
I am sorry if they do not meet your need. There is an easy solution, Don't use them.

If you want the nodes sealed better and feel dipping them is "ridiculous" may I recommend you check with MPH and JEC?
They have some very nice sealed uv proected nodes for sale.
Better yet since you like the firefli's use more of them?

I do get tired of users showing up complianing that the item offered at DLA is not exactly what they want. If that is the case go find what you want.

DLA is not about buying commerical "I don't need to do anything" at DIY cost. If users want commerical plug and play items go to the many commerical offerings and buy them.

RJ

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, »
For the price that it looks like Smart Strings is going to cost, I for one am glad that they are even coming on a string and I don't have to solder all those wires on to the individual little pads.

For some of the nodes I might want lens for and I will add them on those. I am a DIY kind of guy and that is part of DIY.  So RJ please do not increase the cost to put lens on the nodes I don't need them on.

I just want a LOT of RGB nodes that I can get cheap.  If I have to tweak them a little bit to make them match my display that's fine, just keep them where I can afford them. I don't want to pay $10.00 a node.

Just my 2 cents

-Jeff

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, »

I do get tired of users showing up complianing that the item offered at DLA is not exactly what they want. If that is the case go find what you want.
RJ

I think you got me all wrong here, I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I LOVE what you are doing, I said that, and I am grateful you are sharing it with us.  I stated why I was unhappy using what I have been and that I thought this was a solution!  I started this thread before I saw this, the video kietha referenced:

That is exactly what I was thinking, I just didn't know you already had them in the works.  I think that the node strings on 3.5" spacing are exactly what everyone wants and needs for their mega trees.  That's great.  but I think different pixels are better for other display items.  I'm loving the idea of the rigid pixels used for the tricks panels and the 3 led square pixels are nearly identical to the firefli.  What I was saying is that I like the SS controller and setup, and that I think it's even more versatile with the ability to use it with other pixels, not just the node strings.  At $8 per controller I want a bunch of them!  That's why I said in my last post, I hope these other pixels are also available in the group buy in addition to the node strings.  I know that you are using different "chips" in the nodes and I'm glad that you showed us the other pixel types available with the same "chip".  just like you gave the cost comparison on a traditional RGB mega vs. the super string mega, I think that doing a comparison with other things would be great.  For instance, most of the square pixels I have seen are about $1.80 each.  for a 16 pixel string of the square pixels that's $29.  with a Super String controller that's $36!  A firefli is $160! and I'm not limited to just 16 pixels, I could run up to 128 (not sure on the voltage draw on the larger pixels, that could be waaay wrong) and have a long strip along the roof that would do any color.  My head is spinning with the possibilities.