Author Topic: PICkit 3!  (Read 10653 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: PICkit 3!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, »
personal experience says:  The 40 pin zero insertion force (ZIF) socket will work with a 28 pin chip. Just make sure Pin 1 is in Pin 1.

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, »
I received my adapters from J1sys. I already had the PICKit3.

Of course, this is just my experience.  The best advise is to be careful and make sure you understand what you are doing before trying this. Just my disclaimer!!

Now, it appears I have successfully programed the chip for the Dongle, but haven't built the Dongle yet. This will be the true test, but I feel good that it was sucessful since I did this several times using both software utilities.

It is not obvious which jumpers need to be set on the ICSP28 Adapter. So, Here are some tips that may help:

ICSP28 Adapter jumpers need to be set.
From Right to left set:
#1 Jumper LMNWXY
#2 Jumper LM
#5 Jumper LMNWX
#6 Jumper LMNWXY
#8 Jumper L
#11 Jumper L

Also, put a 4,7K OHM resistor between VPP/_MCLR and VDD (ICSP Pins 1 & 2) Mnot sure if this is necessary, but worked for me.

If using PICKit3 be sure to CHECK the Power target circuit from PICKit3 (This is the reason for the error (PK3ERR0045)) in other words no power to the chip unless this is checked.

To do this Select Programmer PICKIT3 then under PROGRAMMER in MPLAB IDE choose SETTING then goto the POWER Tab and CLICK the CHECKBOX (Power target circuit from PICKit3).

Also, If Using the PICKit3 Utility The CHECKBOX is on the Main Screen for POWER. 5 VDC!!!

As a rule of the thumb. DO NOT SET the Power ON unless the Chip is secure in the socket.

Hope this helps.  Happy Programming.

Greg

Offline tng5737

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, »
If you refer to the pdf file for j1sys (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)  then find the pic chip you want to program - it will be listed under one of the groups - for the PIC18F2450 it is  group L   this also tells you which adapter to use.  The jumpers are aligned by group so in this case just jumper all the 'L' pins!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, »
a word of CAUTION...

if you power your board from the Pickit3, make sure you have the correct chip setup in the programmer, and make sure you have the right voltage.

NOT ALL PIC Chips use the same voltage.

I setup up my software to do the programming, and make sure everything is setup right. Then i disconnect the usb cable, attach the pickit do the zif board, then reattach the pickit3, that way i wont inadvertantly send the wrong voltage to a chip.

also, the board used for programming the ssr4 chips (PIC18f1220)  pin 1 is different on that board if your using an 18pin PIC, as opposed to using a 20pin PIC.  in the set i got (rev 1.2) it was the only board that had a seperate PIN1 for some of the chips it handles.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, »
That is a good link tng5737. Wish I would have seen it earlier as it would have saved me a ton of time.
The Pickit 3 bundle from jsys1 is a good value but not intuitive. I had NO documentation on it other than the CD for mdelab.
RW

Offline inzeos

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That is a good link tng5737. Wish I would have seen it earlier as it would have saved me a ton of time.
The Pickit 3 bundle from jsys1 is a good value but not intuitive. I had NO documentation on it other than the CD for mdelab.
RW

Maybe you had a bad kit, I had a few pages of documentation on mine plus documentation on the CD itself.

You do not need to add anything to the breakout boards except the the PIC and the ICSP adapter cable if you are using one.  In fact I would not add anything as you might potentially do inadvertent damage.

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, »
My knock off worked fine (didn't realize we had a member there when I looked).  My only problem was that I had to manually install the database.  Took a while to troubleshoot that but once I tried it everything worked fine.