Author Topic: Reliablility of SSR4dmx v. freestyle  (Read 3337 times)

Offline zwiller

Reliablility of SSR4dmx v. freestyle
« on: January 07, 2011, »
I would like to reduce my extension cord requirements and would like to incorporate SSR4's into my show but am a bit skeptical of the little bugger. I am aware of some of the basic differences between them and the LE.  Lack of light curves and setting up starting channel etc.

Do any of you who use the SSR4 experience issues with them more frequently than the LE?   I plan to go the DMX route on all and avoid the Freestyle.  OR would the Freestyle make them perform more solidly?  IT does seem like a bear to setup start channels on 12 of these.  I think the freestyle would eliminate that?  Looking to add approx 48 channels or 12 SSR4's.

Any thoughts wise blinky folk?
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Made2Rock

Re: Reliablility of SSR4dmx v. freestyle
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, »
For my show this year I ran something like

14 - LEs
2   - Freestyles
49 - SSR4s (all driven by Freestyle)

so yes I do run it all and each its pro and cons. I mostly use the SSR4s (31) to run my little trees out front. I also use them when I need to run a few channels out to someplace like the corners of my lot to light a Tune to sign. My little trees each have 4 colors so they are a perfect fit.

I did use them this year on some places on the house and mixed LE and SSR4, BAD IDEA!!!!. I found myself wanting to play with light normalization and couldn't because part of the strings on the house were SSR4.

So my advice is to look at your show. Group things, house, mini trees .... then start asking questions. is normalization important? does the 4 channel SSR4 fit the job? Remember SSR4 handles about half the current. Let the requirements of the job dictate the device you use.

I will contine to use the SSR4 for the mini tree but will not use any SSR4 on my house becuase I want to be able to have it's diming match everything else (My mini trees I consider in a different group).

This is just how I view things but I hope it gives you some food for thought.

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, »
One more point.

I had a few problems with both SSR4 and LEs being affected by moisture but then I had them laying on there back instead of vertical so I asked for those problems and got them. I do believe they are both reliable

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, »
I've got both and I think I've used them both in my show for 3 years (I can't remember if I used the SSR4 the first year).  They both have their place and are fine pieces of equipment.  Both of them have worked very reliably for me as well, no issues over the 3 years.  You will occasionally see somebody report an issue with the SSR4, but normally it is related to power.  They can be a little sensitive to power issues if you don't have good power to them, say they are daisy chained at the end of a long extension cord or there is a bunch of equipment on the circuit.  Not really a problem, it's just that RJ fit so much in the SSR4 that they are sensitive to power fluctations.

I've been running two Freestyles for the last 3 years.  They are very solid and I've never experienced any issues with them.  That said, I am thinking about removing them from my display next year and using LE's in their place.  It is mainly a convenience thing.  The LE is just way more convenient with its channel readout, text function, DMX receive light, wireless links......   The list goes on for a while.   Also, when you have a bunch of SSR's plugged into the FS you are talking a lot of cords.  If you have a bunch of elements close together that use SSRs it isn't so bad, but you can quickly have a rats nest of cables.

I'm still undecided, but I might be moving away from the Freestyles.  Again, no issue with reliability of functionality, just ease of use and features.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, »
I have used SSR4's for three years now, 2 of those years were wireless and they have run like a champ for me.

Bill

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, »

I only had one issue with my Freestyle and SSR combo this year. Once I added a heat sink, issue solved 8)

I love the SSRs for my talking heads all 7 of them. I can mount the box right on the frame, only had to make 1 extension cord!

As far as setting the start channel, it's just a learning curve thing. Once you have RJ's nifty utility program, piece of cake!

May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, »
Thanks guys.  Great info.  Happy to see there aren't really any reliability issues and programming a start channel isn't too bad.  I will forego the freestyle for now.  Now it's time to find some enclosures for these little guys... 

Really starting to see the power of the various option of the lynx line.

Thanks again. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, »
2010 was my first year.  I had 4 dmx ssr4's as part of my 158 channels.  They worked perfect!  Just like the Expresses did.  I hope they have another coop for the ssr4's this year.  I would like to get at lease 4 more.  They help a bunch on the extension cords in some cases.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, »
Yes, a coop for these would ROCK!  However, I won't get my hopes up.   There's alot going on with all the smart string stuff.  Plus there's a need for another LE coop.  It would be great though.  Maybe we can coop the enclosures since they might be easier to ship...   

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, »
I agree on the coop idea:)

I would love to have 2-4 of them to play with this year along with some wireless PCB's.

I understand the excitement about the Smart Strings and don't want to take any attention away from it, and I understand the work that the volunteers put into the COOP's (THANK YOU).  Heck, I now am looking into buying and figuring out how to run a Picit 3 programmer for this stuff;)   However, I would love to have access to these for 2011 light show and the SSR4DMX with Wireless fits the ticket:)

Is it something that we could maybe plan for April/May timeframe maybe?

Also, being new, I was amazed at the number of people who wanted LE's and DMX Dongles!  Incredible!  Seems like this hobby is getting a little more popular, or, we are all putting way to many channels in our shows:)  (Just Kidding, there is no such thing as too many channels:)  )

Again, thank the COOP volunteers for their work!  It is appreciated!

Mike.

650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, »
Maybe we can coop the enclosures since they might be easier to ship...   

FWIW, here's my take on SSR4-DMX enclosures:

HTH.

\dmc

Offline riri7707

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, »
I used this year freestyle and SSR4 for the first time.
I built a Megatree with 52 channels

All was great and worked quite well.

I face only 2 problems i need to check :

1°) As i used cheap strings from CHINA on 220v, i modify them replacing the basic controller by rectifiers to connect to the SSR4.
One channel burned, after a couple a raining days, due to waterproof PB in one string probably.... So the fuse didn't burn, but only the output... Means i will need to replace the triac once i will dismount my controller box who is still outside...

2°) I was not able to make the strings dimming at all with Freestyle using LSP or VIXEN. So modify my sequence on LSP according to this limitation.

Maybe i didn't use the right firmware for 220v on Freestyle ? I need to check for that too.

Other way, all was perfect....

Henri