Author Topic: Talking/Singing Animatronics  (Read 3463 times)

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

Talking/Singing Animatronics
« on: January 07, 2011, »
Hi all,

I have been pondering the idea of adding animatronics to my light shows.  I have found several sites that discuss Scary Terry Audio Servo Drivers and Servos doing the work problem is this the Audio Driver.  How is it possible to have them differentiate between the different voices in a song?  Should I just hook the power source for each one up to the LE and turn the channel on and off during the solos?  Any thoughts?     ???
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If anyone else wants to try this PM I have found several good sites that explain it step by step as well a links to the best deals on the equipment even DIY servo drivers.

-Rebecca
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

Re: Talking/Singing Animatronics
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, »
I searched and found my answers I think, just not sure how this system will work in addition to the Vixen light show.  Going to order the parts and keep a video blog.  Let you all know how it goes.
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, »
Sounds Good

Bill

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, »
If anyone is interested I have posted the blog : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    I will also have many links on how to's and equipment deals I have found.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, »
Looks good

Jack is a great character

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, »
So I posted on my local Craigslist a bunch of items I was interested in and a few things I had to trade.  First I traded my dogloo for a craftsman 2 gallon air compressor.  That was a little small for me so I traded that and an old weedwacker type rototiller to a guy for 10 dc servo motors with encoders and a few other industrial items.  Well as it turned out the dc motors were not what I could use so I put up on ebay first auctioning of 2 @ 127.50 each then put the other 6 (2 were different kinds) at BIN @150 each obo.  Just sold them for 125 each.  Immediately I bought the Pickit 3 with all the boards and now I am hunting down a bunch of other goodies.  Yippie I may be able to pull this off after all.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, »
 Might look more into the professional stuff heres one that runs on dmx. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Last year you could buy different stuff for a 3 axis skull here. but there doing maintanence right now .You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, by holland lights »

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, »
Check this site for some great  DVD's.   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mechanical
Circuit boards...building your own
PIC basic code...writing your own
relays
triggers
Servos
Pneumatics

Lots of great stuff on 3 different DVD's

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, by mmulvenna »
Thanks
Mike

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, »
Check this site for some great  DVD's.   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mechanical
Circuit boards...building your own
PIC basic code...writing your own
relays
triggers
Servos
Pneumatics

Lots of great stuff on 3 different DVD's

yeap i have all of his movies on animatronics

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, »
I started playing with the idea of doing a 3-axis skull for Halloween a few months ago.  ctmal over at DIYC came up with an AddIn for Vixen that allows you to program a skull using a mouse or better yet a joystick.  I used a modified Renard controller to drive the skull servos so I'm not sure that Vixen and the Addin would work with directly with DMX but I think it might be worth a try.  If your interested in seeing my admittedly early stages take a look at my 3-axis skull test at:

Some of the links and information I used for the build can be found at:

If additional information is needed, please let me know.

Luceat lux vestra

Offline jess_her

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, »
Hey check this one out  Robo bones  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Chris builds robots works for universal as a tec. I never contacted him but it sounds like to share info.
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, »
I have built two of the 3 axis skulls basically using the info in the DIYChristmas thread....
I bought some of the parts (baseplate and brackets) from traxialskulllabs.com (not sure if they still sell the parts)..
There are other parts sources around if you look....
Keep in mind that the mechanics can be a pain to build and adjust. The complete kits seem very costly but after you have built one you will understand why that may be...

I'll try to post some video of it being controlled by VSA over a serial based servo controller....
zappedmyself.com