Author Topic: Where to start?????????????  (Read 3005 times)

Offline PhillDill

• my light and display site
Where to start?????????????
« on: January 08, 2011, »
I am posting as a new member and new to DMX. I am looking at building a total of 1024 wireless channel system from scratch. I am planning it in stages maybe have to start with 1 wireless send/receive and one box to learn and go from there.  I know nothing about it or the software involved but I have a computer and design background. I did watch the video RJ and has me interested as I have priced the LOR system and to start with a 128 channel system is pricy to say the least although it is ready out of the box and I know how the software works as I was a “hypercam” user once.  From what I have heard this is a much more controllable system and better to add to as well because I can do it for just a few dollars at a time till I get where I want to be in the end. From where my computer will be to the longest part of the property is 192’ and is clear run so wireless is a better option for me. For the 2011 year I will be running 402,500 mini led lights, 2 blowup units and a few spotlights.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Where to start?????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, »
Welcome!

Glad to have you on board.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline gforman

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, »
for starters I would jump on the two current COOP's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for that many channels you will need at least 2 Dongles. that is where I am starting.

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, »
Welcome

Bill

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, »
If you need lights CDI has its presale going on.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, don't forget about power!   A lot of people use SPT2 wire off of spools to get power to their devices.

Read up on the Smart Strings section of the forum!

Welcome aboard!

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, »
Welcome aboard!

These people will have you up to speed in no time!

Wealth of information around here is an understatement! :)

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline PhillDill

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, »
Thanks for the info both on the lights and dongle but I have bought over 402000 already to start with for 2011. I am looking for probabaly 3000' of spt2 for sure. I am changing info on my paypal account so I can use it again as if i miss it this time will happen again.

Not advertising anything.. I put some info on a little site I have started as well  "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login" in the plans photos is what I intend to try this year.

Been looking at Home Depot but may order stuff online in buld as I need lots of PVC fittings then just get pipe locally.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, »
Go big or go home!!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Mabey this will help with the pvc fittings they have all types Oh and Welcome to DLA
Jeff

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, »
I am posting as a new member and new to DMX.  For the 2011 year I will be running 402,500 mini led lights...

Oh... my... god...

Where do you get so many lights from? I assume you get a volume discount?   :D

Offline PhillDill

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, »
I hit home depot, family dollar and big lots after Christmas sales. Home Depot was the best as they had commerical light sets for cheap 3 sets of 200 and 2 sets of 200 multi lights were 14.97 each when  I showed up they sold out and they are on rolls for easy storage.  100 clear and multi  mini for 1.99. 50 clear and multi  mini for .49. I spent several dollars there and have to have a second person come to help me get them home. Big lots had 75% sale to card holders who pledged 300.00 or more I hit the jackpot there as I pledged to spend 500.00 and I got my money worth so you got the idea even if I do not get everything I want this year I want to have some animation and FM Transmit outside. I can settle for just the arches and large tree I have all the lights and will have to have 64 channels for the tree to work.

Offline PhillDill

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, »
From what I have read it looks like 1 dongle, 1 wireles transmitter and 1 reciever, 1 case for outside with baord to get started and learn.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, »
This is from the wiki and is the basic idea of setting up your show.   You can basically substitute the cat5 connections for wireless in the diagram.  You can use cat5 and wireless together where it makes sense.

If you are going to run 1024 channels, your biggest job is going to be sequencing.  There are several good programs to sequence your lights with, but you are going to need to get moving with that real soon if you are going to build a gigantic show from scratch. 

You have gone real big for your first year!!!  It will be tough, but if you plan it out and start now, you can pull it off.  A dongle can only handle 512 channels, so you are going to need 2 dongles.

Offline PhillDill

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, »
Thanks for the diag. Well I have found out since I am in a old home I only have 100A here now there is a problem. So is am calculating what I can actually run on that with most everything off in the house. Waiting on bid to run a new pole of 220A from the power company. As stated in post I will have to run the big tree and go from there to start because I have all the parts for the tree and will put it together in april.

Offline PhillDill

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, »
I got the lor software and have been writting the seq's for everthing seperatly so I can merge and convert to LSP. Already selected music and building some items outside. The great thing is I can leave lots of things put together for storage. The leads me toward making all the items i want to use on less channels to start not as impressive but will still be great to the viewers.