Author Topic: I have a dream...........  (Read 2414 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
I have a dream...........
« on: January 09, 2011, »
Guys, I have been doing a lot of thinking and discussing about 2011 and beyond with respect to my display and this hobby/passion we have. I think the SS's are very cool, and am waiting for the coop like everyone.

How absurd is it to think that with a tight enough resolution, (and yes some sort of software interface) could the SS's manage video?

We have all seen Galaxia, and some of the RGB matrix panels/screens. I dream of a mega tree that can be a traditional Mega, ZTree, Spriral, and message board to boot. Instead of a singing wireframe tree with a few channels of animation, why not make your Mega do this, or I have a great roof face that is just itching for a RGB matrix as well. Is that possible at some point with the SS's?
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline Lucas

Re: I have a dream...........
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, »
I have no doubt this will be possible. 

With enough smart strings in your mega tree you would have no problem producing spiral tree or scrolling messages & other styles of trees.

The key is of course the software.... It would be a bit of a task for "grid" based control, who wants manually control every pixel of every frame? The new software people are working on will make this sort of thing a breeze.

Also what is a Ztree? :)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, »
A ZTree is famed for Mike Ziemkowski in Sheman Oaks, CA. It is a horizontal Mega Tree. He is also known for being the first to incorporate video and I believe animatronics into a display:

A DIYer from way back without calling himself a DIYer.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, »
Sounds like a good plan Zman, and I think it could look very cool.  It sucks to see the hardware again beating the software.  For video displays/RGB, I think LSP is ahead, but for ease of use I cant beat Vixen.  Hopefully this year will make it easy, with 2 newer offerings (Xlights/Prancer) and maybe Vixen 3.0 making an appearing.

Anything should be better then a 16K channel grid outline.  HAHAHAH Im dreading that sequencing if something good doesnt come down the pipeline.

-JS

Offline gforman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, »
Yep, this is what we all dream about.

we have the greatest and best hardware and Software people associated with this DLA group.

we will get there.

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, »
I dream of winning the lottery so I could pay for all this stuff.  LOL.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, »
There is actually a tutorial video somewhere for LSP where they take a video and LSP crunches it up on the house using all of the RGB's and any other lights that are in the layer they were working with.  That was about the time I really started searching for RGB leds.  I would like to see if another version of Aurora or Vixen will include a similar utility here pretty quick.  I think everyone has seen the writing on the wall that RGB is the next big thing.  People's signatures will go from tens of thousands of lights with a few hundred channels (which is an very outstanding display) to ten thousand channels with thousands of lights over the next few years.  Should be fun to watch!

I'll see if I can find that again and post a link.  Looked very interesting to me.  

And, "AMEN!" to winning the lottery.  LoL

Travis

p.s. found that video. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It is using a different controller, but I wouldn't see why you couldn't use SS for the same effect.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, by TAdamsOK »