Author Topic: Making Our Own Light Curves?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Making Our Own Light Curves?
« on: January 10, 2011, »
Rather than sending a set of lights to RJ, it would be nice if there was a way for us to make our own light curves for our Expresses. There are so many more brands, models, and sizes of lights out there than what's on the list. I've found a match that's pretty good for my lights, but I'd be willing to fiddle with it myself to make it a bit better.

Thoughts anyone?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline scharbon

Re: Making Our Own Light Curves?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, »
I think you would have to work with RJ directly on this one.  Coming up with the un-normalized curve would be relatively easy (all you need is a lux meter, a sealed container to test the lights in, and the patience to step through all 256 power levels and record the lumens at each power level - and maybe do it more than twice to ensure consistency in your readings) and you might be able to convince RJ that you can generate the raw data necessary to develop a light curve to the same standard he expects of himself.  And he might accept that input from you if he is convinced you consistently do it correctly (because others will use what he loads up). 

But the next step (converting the raw data into the curves implemented by the firmware) is probably not going to happen.  RJ's process is a lot more involved and technical than the Vixen 2.5 method of just assigning a reference table to a channel.  As I understand it, he actually changes the code in the PIC so that it accounts for the uneven dimming (he has 1024 steps as opposed to 256 steps).  Given that quality control and configuration management are paramount in his mind with respect to the Lynx line of products, you would be best to probably enter into a PM discssion with him on the topic.  I could be wrong - I often am - just ask my wife, but that is my two cents worth.   

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Making Our Own Light Curves?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, »
Hi Gary

From how I understand the process Steve is right on the money. There is a lot going on to create the curves. I think in March RJ said he would start accepting more light strings to create more curves.  Of course PM him before sending anything as things change all of the time

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required