Author Topic: SSR8 (no DMX) PCB  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Jobefx

SSR8 (no DMX) PCB
« on: January 10, 2011, »
Would anybody be interested in a ssr8 pcb for use with the freestyle?

After this Christmas I realized that I wanted an 8 channel ssr for use with arches and bellagio fountain poles. So I am in the process of making one. I use freestyles so I am not adding a dmx option to the pcb, which also makes the circuit very simple. The SSR8 would take 2 cat 5 cables from the freestyle. Basic set up would be 2 cat 5s from the freestyle, one power in, 8 channels out in one box.

My question now is whether should home etch the pcbs I want or have them made. The only way I can afford to have them made is by doing a coop. If there is enough interest I will design the board for manufacturing. If there is not I will design it for home etching.

So, anyone interested?  I am expecting the pcbs to run around $5 each if I get 50 made and of course less for more pcbs.

This is not a coop yet!!! I am just trying to gauge interest to see which design route I should follow. I appreciate your input.

Offline tng5737

Re: SSR8 (no DMX) PCB
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, »
Why not just mount two SSR's in one box.  You could still have one power cord coming in and run power to both!

Offline Jobefx

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, »
I could of course do just that, mount 2 ssr4s in 1 box. 

But I also wanted to make a change to the ssr so that I would not have to hunt down that cursed SIP that mouser never has in stock when I want to make an ssr4 :P

either way I am going to make the boards I want, I just was wondering if anyone else wanted one.

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, »
I would be interested, but how much will the parts be for your design?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, »
Before people get to carried away wih this remember that RJ has rules on who can run a coop and he also doe not release his boards to the public.  There is of course nothing wrong with designing your own SSR8 board that will work with the Freestyle and if that's what you want to do then have fun.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jobefx

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, »
Yes I did plan on designing my own board this is not a copy of RJs board, it is based on the SSR4 circuit though. If RJ doesn't want me to make a new board based on his work I wont. I respect all that RJ does and I don't want to step on toes.

And again I am not running a coop I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested at this point. I was just trying to decided if I should design a one sided home etch board or a 2 sided manufactured board.

parts for one would cost $20.46 from mouser. This would go down if multiples are ordered.

The board will fit in a keptel CG1000 or CG1500 (~$20) 

I am using the same parts as the ssr4 with the exception of using resistors instead of the SIP, the sip saves board space but is always back ordered

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, »
No,

I want people to develop new things what is sometimes mis communicated is I do not want multiples of the same thing or copies of other peoples designs with slight changes.

If you want to design a new SSR 8 channel then go for it. The coop rules are a totally different issue.

We do not allow user with less than a year and that have not been approve to run a coop. This is to protect the users. You need a track record for someone before you feel comfortable alloing them to collect money from people.

If you design the SSR and want it coop then simple get with the admins and we can work to help you make it happen.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, »
Would it be illegal if i did a board also and used rjs programming in the chip, just do a different concept? Ive been thinking about  a totally different concept. I havnt learned programming yet.  But i havnt started my electronics in college yet, still doing basics, but i can make my own ssrs.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, »
I see it's been a while since anyone responded to this thread.  Was there any progress on the 8 channel version?

I would be interested in this 100%.  I have several locations, ideas and pieces where an 8 channel is more efficient than a 4 or 16 channel hardware piece.

Just asking.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, »
Ditto.  I like the idea of an 8 channel board.  It would come in handy on arches like was said above.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tpctech

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, »
I have a SSR8 board designed made and tested. It is about 2" x 4" with 2 RJ45 connectors and a terminal strip for AC in and 8 outs.  It has no neutral connection.  For my application I just bussed them all together in the box.

I will dig up the pictures to post.  I will look to see what the run of boards cost to have made.

KEN

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, »
I have a SSR8 board designed made and tested. It is about 2" x 4" with 2 RJ45 connectors and a terminal strip for AC in and 8 outs.  It has no neutral connection.  For my application I just bussed them all together in the box.

I will dig up the pictures to post.  I will look to see what the run of boards cost to have made.

KEN
With that footprint, I'd be interested.
-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, »
Just make sure it is done properly under the coop rules.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, »

KEN

Would that work with the Freestyle system?

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tpctech

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, »
Yes!  now to find the pictures......