Author Topic: Question on the Smart String controller and hub co-op  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Night Owl

What is kit 3 in the co-op for?  Does this add parts that builds a 12V supply?  Or does it add parts so you can attach a 12V supply that does not have ATX connectors (like a bench power supply).  Based on the low price, I would assume the latter but I wanted to confirm.  I've been following the threads from the beginning and I kinda remember this being discussed, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Question on the Smart String controller and hub co-op
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is kit 3 in the co-op for?  Does this add parts that builds a 12V supply?  Or does it add parts so you can attach a 12V supply that does not have ATX connectors (like a bench power supply).  Based on the low price, I would assume the latter but I wanted to confirm.  I've been following the threads from the beginning and I kinda remember this being discussed, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

This is a few extra parts to allow a user to power a SS hub with a 12volt only power supply. If you are using a ATX computer power supply you will not need them. If you are using a different 12 volt only supply them you will.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, »
How many amps will I need for the 12 volts? AC or DC?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, »
See the power document in the wiki. It explians how to figure up what you will need.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, »
Another question. Where do I buy the programmer to be able to program the chip to the proper starting Pixelnet address on each string. How much are they?

If I use more then one hub I will need more then one power supply? or can one power supply power more then one hub even if the hubs are located in different areas of the yard?

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, »
Another question. Where do I buy the programmer to be able to program the chip to the proper starting Pixelnet address on each string. How much are they?

If I use more then one hub I will need more then one power supply? or can one power supply power more then one hub even if the hubs are located in different areas of the yard?

The start address is set by the program utility, this will be released later.

You will need a PicKit programmer the current model is the PicKit 3 to program the Pic on the SSC and the hub.  Mouser has the PicKit programmers

If using a PC power supply, yes you will need more than one Power Supply.  Even if you are using a 12V only bench type power supply I would still suggest only using one power supply per hub.

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, »
O-Man that will really add to the cost of the display at say $25 bucks per computer power supply and then 16 hubs (That is if I need that many to be able to outline the whole house). Is there a cheaper power supply that I could use to power each hub and then run maybe one string per hub? The way it will be set up is each string will need to run end to end.

Can we run, say 6 to 12 strings together say about 3 inch apart then play video to the strings to make a low cost video curtain?

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, »
O-Man that will really add to the cost of the display at say $25 bucks per computer power supply and then 16 hubs (That is if I need that many to be able to outline the whole house). Is there a cheaper power supply that I could use to power each hub and then run maybe one string per hub? The way it will be set up is each string will need to run end to end.

Can we run, say 6 to 12 strings together say about 3 inch apart then play video to the strings to make a low cost video curtain?

Each Hub will support up to 16 strings, so unless you have a need to run just one string per hub you should not need that many.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, »

I guess that I don't understand why you would need so many hubs either.  Exactly how long is your house?  Each hub can support up to 16 strings and RJ has experimented with a 100 foot cable connecting a string to the hub and it worked without issue.  If it is an addressing issue that you are thinking of, remember that the strings are addressed at the string, not the hub so all hubs send full data streams to all their ports. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, »
Are you confusing hubs with controllers?
1 hub can supply power and data to 16 controllers. 1 controller can control 1 string of up to 128 "nodes" .

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, »
That could be it. So you need one controller per smart string and one hub can handle up to 16 strings?

To keep it simple each string will be 40 feet long. Ok looking at the house from the street. I start one string at the left corner run 40 feet. Then start the next sting at the end of the first string so now I am at 80 feet. Next I want to run up the roof line to the peek which takes 1 string. Then across the roof takes 2 more strings. Then back down the left side back to were I started from which takes another string. So I am up to 6 strings total.

If each string needs a controller and the controller gets its power and data from the hub. I would need a hub at the start of each string. Unless there is some kind of extension cord.
David

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, »
That could be it. So you need one controller per smart string and one hub can handle up to 16 strings?

To keep it simple each string will be 40 feet long. Ok looking at the house from the street. I start one string at the left corner run 40 feet. Then start the next sting at the end of the first string so now I am at 80 feet. Next I want to run up the roof line to the peek which takes 1 string. Then across the roof takes 2 more strings. Then back down the left side back to were I started from which takes another string. So I am up to 6 strings total.

If each string needs a controller and the controller gets its power and data from the hub. I would need a hub at the start of each string. Unless there is some kind of extension cord.
David

How about 1 cat5 cable from the hub to each controller. so from one hub you will need a total of 6 cat5 cables running power and data to the controller/ strings. the controller will be a few inches from the first node in your string

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, »
That would work if there is not to much power loss from the hub to the controller of each string.

David

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, »
David,
RJ has tested this with cat 5 cables that are 100' long without a problem.
Instead of starting your strings from the corner of the house, start in the middle of the front and work around to the left and the right. That way you wouldn't have to run from corner to corner with your cat 5 cable.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, »
Sweet, that is great news. Thanks for the idea John about starting in the center.
David