Author Topic: smart string hub  (Read 3266 times)

Offline shaunkad

smart string hub
« on: January 10, 2011, »
IF I only want 1 string to play with and 1 controller do I need a controler hub I will have to run 2 dongles I know.

Offline tbone321

Re: smart string hub
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, »
The hub is your power injection point for the smartstrings so you will need one of those.  I don't know why you would need more than one donge.  If you are talking about pixelnet and DMX, remember that the smarstring hub can also output your DMX universe so unless your combined chanel count exceeds 4000 channels, you only need 1 dongle to run your show.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, »
I was hopping to save some funds. I am already in the LE dongle PCB and case coops then you through the smart string right on top of it and they all end at the end of the month except the LE .

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, »
The coops do sometime start up quickly at the beginning of the year, especially if new thngs are comming out like the smartstrings. Remmber that it is not an LE dongle, it is a DMX dongle and will control any DMX512 device.  And with the upcomming firmware, it can become a pixelnet dongle.  The good thingis like I said before, if you intend to run both pixelnet and DMX dvices in your show, RJ has made the pixelnet hub capable of outputting 1 DMX512 universe so if you can give up 512 pixelnet channls, you only need 1 dongle and the hub to run both so that should save some money. 

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, »
Lets see if I understand rght. I want to run DMX for my DMX controllers, LOR for my 2 LOR controllers and then Pixelnet for the smart strings.
When using the Hub with the smart strings I will be able to run one DMX universe, and then how many smart strings can I run? Also how will I control my LOR controllers?

I also have a LOR i1ooo DMX thing. Can I use it?

More information please.
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, by lightingnut »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, »
The first problem that you will have is trying to use the LOR contollers in their native mode.  Your best bet would be to use them in DMX mode.  In the past if people wanted to use native LOR commands, they would sequence in LOR software and use an IDMX unit like you have to control their DMX units.  The problem now is that you have pixelnet in the mix and the IDMX controller does not support that and the smartstring hub does not support LOR native commands.  Fortunantly, the smartstring hub supports pixelnet and DMX and the LOR controllers can also work with DMX which is why I suggested using the LOR controllers in DMX mode.  

As for the strings that you can run, you really can't look at it that way because after all, what exactly is a string?  A string can be any length from 1  to 128 nodes and can be configured in one of three modes which affect the numbr of channels required.  In pixel mode, every pixel that makes up the string uses 3 channels while in string mode, the entire string regardless of the number of pixels only uses 3 channels.  In hybrid mode, each string uses 3 channels per pixel plus 3 more for string control.   If you decide to have the hub output DMX, then just subtract 512 from the 4096 channel pixelnet universe and you have 3484 pixelnet channels available.   Then just determine how you intend to configure the strings and do the math to determine how many strings you can run on that universe.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, by tbone321 »

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, »
So my next question are the hub and controler coop only? Or are there going to be extra PCBs like the LE or the dongle

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, »
Thatis really for RJ and the admins to decide but from he time I have been here I would say that as far as the boards go, it's a pretty good bet that they will become available in board only from RJ in time.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The first problem that you will have is trying to use the LOR contollers in their native mode.  Your best bet would be to use them in DMX mode.  In the past if people wanted to use native LOR commands, they would sequence in LOR software and use an IDMX unit like you have to control their DMX units.  The problem now is that you have pixelnet in the mix and the IDMX controller does not support that and the smartstring hub does not support LOR native commands.  Fortunantly, the smartstring hub supports pixelnet and DMX and the LOR controllers can also work with DMX which is why I suggested using the LOR controllers in DMX mode.  

Or you can use LSP which will run DMX, PIXELNET, and LOR in their native mode. You can DL a trial version for free.
Thanks
Mike

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, »
LSP will run all 3 modes that is nice to know. I was reading some place that LOR controllers will not run in DMX mode. Know of any links that talk about that?
David

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, »

Or you can use LSP which will run DMX, PIXELNET, and LOR in their native mode. You can DL a trial version for free.

Are you sure about that or does LSP just have a good file converter.  I don't use LSP so I am just asking.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, »
LSP will run all 3 modes that is nice to know. I was reading some place that LOR controllers will not run in DMX mode. Know of any links that talk about that?
David

I don't know where you are reading, but I have run LOR controllers on my LYNX network for two years now.

Also don't confuse sequencing with support for hardware controllers.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, »

Are you sure about that or does LSP just have a good file converter.  I don't use LSP so I am just asking.

100% sure
Thanks
Mike