Author Topic: Question on the Smart String controller and hub co-op  (Read 4879 times)

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: Question on the Smart String controller and hub co-op
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, »
Saying almost the same thing as John is (he types faster). Using your description and Only you can understand your exact layout, just trying to give some ideas.

Your hub is in the left corner of the house. You have the first 40 foot sting that runs across the front of the house connected to the hub with a few inches of cat5. With this first string you also run a 40 foot cat5. Your second string would connect to this. For your third string you would run an 80 foot cat 5 with the first 2 strings and it would connect to it. (Still within the 100 foot limit. That may not really be a limit, it is just what RJ has tested) You then have your other string going "back to where I started" meaning it sounds as thou it "ends" close to the hub, that string you connect directly to the hub using a few inches of cat5. You then have the other to string across the roof you connect them with a 40 and 80 foot cat5 like you did the front.

Hope I said all that correctly and understandable.

-Jeff

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, »
I just threw together a rough idea. I made the string nodes a non-straight light so it stood out in the drawings

See if that makes any sense

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, »
That helps, kind of
What I want to do is have the strings in order from say left to right so when I do a chase it goes left to right. One string ends at say channel 384 I want the next string to start at channel 385 which means that sting needs to begain at the end of the first string. I assume there is no way to tell the string which end is to be the lowest number. So if I want a chase of 4 nodes that will run the whole outline of the house while all other nodes are dark. My thinking is the strings need to run in channel order?
David

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, »
That helps, kind of
What I want to do is have the strings in order from say left to right so when I do a chase it goes left to right. One string ends at say channel 384 I want the next string to start at channel 385 which means that sting needs to begain at the end of the first string. I assume there is no way to tell the string which end is to be the lowest number. So if I want a chase of 4 nodes that will run the whole outline of the house while all other nodes are dark. My thinking is the strings need to run in channel order?
David

I guess my text notes on the drawing didn't make sense then.

SSC 1 which controls the left side of the house is program on the pic as reverse order. So the first node (say channel 1,2,3) will be the far left side of the house and the channels continue in order to the max number of nodes on that controller (center of the house). Using your  Channel example of  384. SSC 2 is forward mode so the first node/channel is 385 which is right next to to the last node in SSC 1, example channel 384. Then the nodes continue to the far right side in order. So in your seq software it will be from the left side of the house to the right side of the house in order Channel 1 to 769 and you don't need long cat5 cables.

Left side of house ...................Middle of house................Right side of house
Channel 1...............................384 385..........................769 (unless my math is wrong :))
............................................SSC1 SSC2

.................................................HUB

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, »
Now it makes much more since. Did not understand you could tell the string which way to number. So that clears up a lot. Thanks
David