Author Topic: I must say...  (Read 2383 times)

Offline ChrisB

I must say...
« on: January 11, 2011, »
I must say that I am very new to this stuff. I started getting into this 2 days before xmas. The only information regarding this on the internet led me to LOR controllers. So naturally I bought one. Now i find this site and many others and am simply amazed. Now after sitting up till midnight last night watching RJ's video manuals for the LE-5 I think I may have chosen the wrong brand controller. I was very very impressed with the diagnostic capabilities of this unit. Can I ask what software most people are using to run there shows. I am going to try and get some kind of display up for xmas 2011. Unfortunately I missed the coop for these controllers. Cant wait to get started and hope another coop for these gets going again soon. Thanks    Chris

Offline njKeever

Re: I must say...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, »
I believe most are running Vixen, then LightShow Pro. Aurora is working on DMX support, but I don't see it talked about here. I like the idea of Vixen, but it seems so far behind LightShow Pro in terms of the visualizer and RGB support.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, »
Vixen is in the process of a full re-write and I'm looking foward to see how it comes out. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, »
LOR controllers tend to have good resale value.  Don't feel too bad about it.  Actually, nearly all the gear here has good resale value to other enthusiasts.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, »
There really is no need to sell it. It is a solid piece of equipment and can work in a DMX network if required.  If you can get what you paid for it then you might consider it because you can get more channels for the money wih Lynx than you can get from LOR but don't sell it at a significant loss.  It just isn't worth it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, »
I still have some of my original LOR hardware and I use the LOR attaching it to a lynx unit via tha adapter cable.  Works good.  I don't want to give up my LOR software although I did sell off some LOR controllers a year ago and got almost what I had paid for them.  You can convert LOR sequences to Vixen and that works good for learning and for getting a head start on timing / beat tracks.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline fslopez1950

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, »
Welcome to this blinky world. Like you, i am also new to this and planning to have my first show this year.

Right now, if i were you i'll join the coup for the dongle pcb and case which is running until about the end of the month. This coop is only pcb and case without the parts. You will need this dongle to connect your controllers with the computer which you will use for your show. As for the software, try Vixen.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, »
+1

Get on the dongle and case coop.  Download vixen and start learning Vixen and sequencing now.

Sell the LOR it's evil.   >:D  j/k   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, »
I don't have any experience with LOR stuff, but browsing their web site, it seems like an excellent product with great support and a plethora of cool options, but I'm a cheapass and am good with my hands when it comes to assembling stuff, so Lynx stuff suits me just fine.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
+1

Get on the dongle and case coop.  Download vixen and start learning Vixen and sequencing now.

Sell the LOR it's evil.   >:D  j/k   

It would also be worth you while to download LightSHowPro and try it to compare the 2. I think you will be impressed with LSP.  <;d
Thanks
Mike

Offline gjbankos

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, »
I started like you - I bought a LOR 16 controller and used that for 1 year.  Then I realized that I'd need a second mortgage if I were to go bigger, so I hunted and stumbled on this pile of gold here.  In year 2, I built my own dongle and an LE and I used Vixen with LE and LOR.  I then sold my LOR and got some more LEs and I ran all LEs this year.

You'll have no problem selling off your LOR and get a good penny for it.  No problems.  You don't have to sell it off, of course, but you'll have no problems doing it if you want to. 

There is really no need to have LORs once you have found this site, in my opinion.  For a fraction of the cost of a LOR, you can get LE.  I never soldered in my life and it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  And the people on this site are simply the best for support. 

In short - you can't go wrong getting RJs stuff.  Sell off the LOR and use that money to buy MORE stuff from here.