Author Topic: Smart String Hub - Case  (Read 13793 times)

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
Smart String Hub - Case
« on: January 13, 2011, »
What case was the Smart String Hub mounting points designed for?

Harrison

Offline tbone321

Re: Smart String Hub - Case
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, »
There is no case specified for them.  This currently is going to be a DIY part of this process.  Some are thinking of using computer cases to hold them and the computer power supply that they are designed to use.  I am on the fence with this one because most computer cases were not designed with outdoor use in mind and may be subject to significant corrosion issues if exposed to the elements like that.  I guess that you could keep them inside and run the wires out a window but that would not work out in my display.  I think that I will look for an enclosure that I can keep outside that will potect the componens even if I have to build it myself.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, »
Ya - Just wanted to see if the mounting holes were designed for a case pattern.

Harrison

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, »
keep in mind that the specifications on an atx power supply require the heat to escape the back of the power supply, and to suck air in though the vent that would be inside a pc.  placing this inside a "weathertight case might cause a supply to overheat.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, »
That depends on a lot of factors like how big the supply is (watts), how hard you are pushing it, how hot or cold it is outside, and the insulting properties and size of the weathertight case.  If the case is plastic or wood you could vent it like a PC but then the power supply would still be drawing in damp air that could have negative results on the hub as well as the power supply itself.  I would probably consider passive venting where there is some limited vening but not directly connected to the power supply and monitor the temp to see where it goes.  If the supply is getting too hot the I could alter the venting to that of a PC to draw in more outside air.  This and last year here had average temps in the low 30's and some nights in the teens during the show season so I doubt that I would oveheat the supply.  I plan on setting up a show for halloween and then it could be in the 70's at times and that will give it a real test.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, »
I have successfully used a PC power supply for the past 2 years outside in the same enclosure that the LE uses.
Granted I was not pulling the amount of amps that I will need for the Smart gear, but for what I was doing that past 2 years it has worked out fine.
Everyone just needs to take a close look at what there needs will be and then design a solution that best fits what they need.

Bill

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, »
just remember something from my data center days.

Ideal humidity for electronic components is between 30 -70% humidity

<30%  increased static electricity build up
>70% condensation and corrosion.

just a tidbit

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, »
I know I am bring this back from death (and I HATE when people post to a WAY old topic) but now everyone has the PCB in there hands and started to work on assembling them – anyone come up with a way to mount the hub for weather proofing and still allow for the 20 cables in and out?  I know RJ left this up to the community to figure out.

Harrison

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, »
I'm going to try a prototype SSH Case using a $5.xx HD plastic storage bin (rough neck?) that seems to be the perfect size for an ATX PS and the SSH ... and room to spare in between.  My rough thoughts are to mount on a couple pieces of wood, and then glue those mounting boards to the enclosure walls with either hot glue or constructive adhesive or epoxy.

I think the venting might be something where I could optionally attach a short dryer vent hose or PVC pipe for venting.

I'm not concerned about moisture in CO, as its typically dry and rain isn't a risk either.  I've had very little problem with controller buried in the snow, etc.  I put them on the roof and they have all been fine.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, »
I would avoid hot glue and stick with the epoxy.  You would be supprised how hot these cases can get inside when exposed to direct sun, even in the winter.  Hot glue never really dries and of warmed back up will release again.  Once epoxy sets up, that's it.  No fear of heat making the components move around.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, »
I'm going to try a prototype SSH Case using a $5.xx HD plastic storage bin (rough neck?) that seems to be the perfect size for an ATX PS and the SSH ... and room to spare in between.  My rough thoughts are to mount on a couple pieces of wood, and then glue those mounting boards to the enclosure walls with either hot glue or constructive adhesive or epoxy.

I think the venting might be something where I could optionally attach a short dryer vent hose or PVC pipe for venting.

I'm not concerned about moisture in CO, as its typically dry and rain isn't a risk either.  I've had very little problem with controller buried in the snow, etc.  I put them on the roof and they have all been fine.

I did something similar this past year when mounting some controllers before I upgraded to demarcation enclosures.

I used screws with washers to attach the pieces of 1x2 wood from outside of the rough neck container to the inside. I then unscrewed them a little and put a dap of silicone to seal the new holes I made.

It was a little more flexible than I wanted but that could be fixed with cross pieces. I then mounted the control board in them and turned them upside down. No problems for the whole season last year. I would recommend making a few small holes in the lip of the container, water collects there.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, »
Thanks for the great tips.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, »
pictures!  pictures!

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, »
 <np..

OK, don't twist my arm to hard.

So I made 2 of these enclosures for my 2 Ren24SS last year.
Pictures 1-3

It all started with I didn't want to spend the money on demarcation enclosures, and I said "I can build something better". So I saw this thread:
and decided I really wanted to build that enclosure that XmasInGalt did. (See pics 4 & 5 if you couldn't see the pics at the above link.)

I got all the holes cut out and plugged all the outlets in and started to slide the board in, but it was about 1/4" too small to fit the controller board inside with plugs on both sides. (I had 6 outlets on both sides for mine). (insert sad trombone sound - Wah wah waaaaahhhhh)

So instead, I took these bins and mounted the boards with cheap walmart electrical plugs (less than a $1 a piece) connected to my outputs.
I was like great, I can connect my lights directly to these plug channels and save on extension cords...... NOT!

The cords aren't long enough to reach where they plug into the outlets so I had to use extension cords anyways.  :(

Oh well it worked pretty good for controller boards, but why waste the time and money because demarcation enclosures are perfect. They are what I am using for all my controller boards this year, except maybe the SS hubs and power supplies. I guess I have a use for those old modified storage bin enclosures after all.

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, »
that first pic looks kinda scary,  that 4th pic looks pretty sweet.