Author Topic: Smart String Hub - Case  (Read 13795 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Re: Smart String Hub - Case
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, »
I saw an article where they used scotch brite pads as intake filters. You could also buy some of those reusable air condition filters and and cut them down too.

The outside piece of the snorkel facing down was to keep water from going in via gravity. The intake inside at the bottom to help establish air flow bottom to top. Exhaust at the top to pull off the warm air rising?

Also something else i mentioned but was thinking about further, if we were to direct exhaust the PSU, it would reduce the rising temperature of the box.

Keep them ideas coming, especially if we can find something simple and cheap to make it work. I was looking for weather resistant enclosures that might fit the bill besides what we already have but couldnt really find anything.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From last year, I just turned mine upside down and ran the wires out the open bottom (actually the top, except its upside down). It didn't sit perfectly flat but the controller was up inside.

+1 -- though I used USPS Coroplast boxes ... same idea, though.

\dmc

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, »
if we were to direct exhaust the PSU, it would reduce the rising temperature of the box.

I had been wondering if you could use a dryer vent hose to do this, but the fans on both my PS's are really big, bigger than the hoses I've seen.  I guess you could vent it directly out the side and something on the outside to exhaust it into which is fairly weather resistant.

On a different note, I have sprinkler valve boxes in theyard which are not used in the winter  months ... I wonder how those might be used ... they are certainly out of the elements like snow and wind.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mnarel

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, »
I like the snorkels for better airflow... especially venting out the top like a landfill.  Exhaust fans start ratcheting up the price tag and use additional power (yes it's there in the ATX but it means more wiring)  There ought to be a way to configure it for the ATX fan to supply the movement.   In combination with convection, placing the atx low in the box with the fan pointed up at the exaust pipe in the roof above should be enough to create the current and eliminate the extra fans and wiring.  It makes the final box harder to store out of season though with the holes and exterior piping.   

Has anyone done a temp analysis yet?   Practically speaking, even with a mega tree of pixelnet nodes time on vs. time off while the sequences are running should average well under 50% of max power consumption.   We're building for peak loads and finalies when you get a lot of blinky for a big finish, but really, the overall load should be fairly low... and then only at night, and not continuously.    If anyone has the ability to run a test of say 8-10 100 node strings on 'white' for about 10 minutes in an enclosed, then passively vented (open bottome, or non powered vent) case that'll give a good idea of what kind of temp increases 95% of us are ever likely to see.  We may all be overthinking this.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, »
If you look at videos you will see mine were in the same kind of plastic box with no extra fans, snorkle or anything else and this is in Florida where we had 85 deg temps some nights and it was fine. I had the power supply off the ground slightly but in the bottom and there was no heat issues.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, »
If you look at videos you will see mine were in the same kind of plastic box with no extra fans, snorkle or anything else and this is in Florida where we had 85 deg temps some nights and it was fine. I had the power supply off the ground slightly but in the bottom and there was no heat issues.

RJ

Glad I bought the same power supplies you used. They are rated pretty well for efficiency, which means less heat.
I even did a bunch of research on power supplies and the Rosewill green series rg630-s12 were the best bang for the buck, especially when you catch them on sale at Newegg.

RJ do you have any idea on temps with the show running or tests?

Maybe like you said, we might be over thinking this...
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmoore

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, »
I would avoid hot glue and stick with the epoxy.  You would be supprised how hot these cases can get inside when exposed to direct sun, even in the winter.  Hot glue never really dries and of warmed back up will release again.  Once epoxy sets up, that's it.  No fear of heat making the components move around.

This VERY much depends on your hot glue.  There are hot glues with 120f and 250f working temps, so it's more an issue of selecting the proper glue for the project.  Hot glue can also "build up" well, allowing you to fill in gaps.

Here is a sample of one mfg hot glue specs:

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, »
I just got my first SS HUB and SSC working tonight.   EXCITING!!

The Antec 400W Neo ECO 400C PS ... wow!  ... no noise at all.  The fan is near dead silent.  So probably not a real good test, but I was running some test patterns on a 120 node flex strip ... and nothing ever got warm in the least.  I honestly could not tell the PS was on, it was so quiet.

It made me feel really silly about all this talk, but we do need to test it under some real load.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, »
the venting might be more for those who do 4th of July, or summertime displays
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, »
I've been looking at this as a possible enclosure for the Hub

I haven't picked one up yet, so i'm not sure.

It's a case that can hold a car battery, and has the openings for battery cables to come out the top...

anyone alredy have one, or has seen this yet?
It's in Sears Automotive

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, »
I like the battery box....looks tuff....post pics if you get it.....
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, »
Thats funny, because a few days ago I also was thinking about a battery case just like that.

I then remembered that I had found a special battery box for my dual 12v RV gold cart batteries (think big) ... and found that a local battery supply place in Denver had sold then, and they also had a nice custom box with holes and lid, in various sizes. 

But the problem is that I think the box was like $10-20 ... so not it brings me back to these RV battery boxes or just doing the cheap $5.xx enclosures instead.

And its hard to argue with just putting stuff on a pole, then putting a bin over the top and calling it done. 

I like to use those edging stakes for everything, because they are like 12" long and really hold stuff down.  You could put 4 onto the corners of the upside down crate and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, »
I've been looking at this as a possible enclosure for the Hub

I haven't picked one up yet, so i'm not sure.

It's a case that can hold a car battery, and has the openings for battery cables to come out the top...

anyone alredy have one, or has seen this yet?
It's in Sears Automotive

This got me thinking - this is a GOOD case idea - all ready water tightish and has a way to get wires in and out still secured (no modification) and CHEAP ($9) - looks OK may WONT be wife approved but we will see (Maybe some paint).  So now going inside ... I notice my power supply and the hub is about the same size and ATX power supply's have a standard size and mount (IE: Computer Cases - depth changes).  Have a few ideas and need a few trips to Home Depot to see what I can come up with.  Thinking a compression mount for the Power Supply - to get this up of the bottom of the case and give a spot with the wholes mount to bolt on the hub on top - this idea should also work in any container.  We will see what I can come up with may be next week before I can get to it warping up all my controller cases this week.

<np..

Harrison

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, »
Well for $9 I am going by Northern and picking one up just to see what I can do with it.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, »
i hope it works...

Northern Tool, and Sears are pretty wide spread, at least in the states that anyone could get one, and being $9...  it's not bad at all