Author Topic: Smart String Hub - Case  (Read 13792 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Smart String Hub - Case
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, »
Ok, I just bought the same group 24 battery box from Walmart ... and it was just under $7 ... which I thought was very reasonable.

Its got carrying handles on either side, which could also be used for exhaust ports, as they are also covered ... and there are 4 total places where you can feed cord/cable in or out.

The only issue with this box is that there are a couple small (sliding) exhaust ports in the lid top, which could leak water or snow down into the hub  from above.  So I'm thinking I'll seal that up with silicone caulk or hot glue ... to prevent that from happening.

But really for $7 how can you go wrong?

I think an exhaust fan addition to one of the exits and/or an air intake snorkel would still be possible improvements to consider if heat is an issue.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, »
I decided to go with the battery box. I used left over chip shipping tubes to support the SS Hub. It is easy to remove for access to the power supply.

That battery case is a great idea. Went to Wal-Mart yesterday and got a couple. They had quite a variety of sizes.

I tie wraped my PCBs to the chip tubes to add stability to the mounting.

The only modification that I see needs to be made is the two vent holes on top need to be sealed by using hot glue or silicon to keep water from directly seeping in the top. Otherwise this is an excelent solution available from multiple sources.

If someone didn't have the plastic tubes you could use 1/2 inch pvc pipe as well.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2011, »
Has anybody had a power supply under load in this box to see how hot it gets?

Looks like a simple solution if it doesn't overheat in the small space.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline c56

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2011, »
Yes, using a battery box from Wal Mart I measured about an 8 degree F temperature rise on the box exterior after running for 10 hours (box closed with lid).

Test setup included a closed battery box containing a hub and 600 watt Corsair power supply (no additional fan), five SSCs of 100 nodes each, and one SSC with 50 nodes for a total of 550 nodes. All SSCs were loaded/run with the test software to exercise the nodes fully and run simultaneously for the 10 hours. I used a non-contact IR thermometer to run the test; I checked several objects in the room to make sure the thermometer was accurately reading test targets.

I considered instrumenting the inside of the box to measure temps at the PS and on the hub, but with such a small temp rise on case exterior I do not consider this necessary. By the way, I left a number of the nodes bundled as received from Ray, and the node temps rose to 115F in this test setup. Obviously, spreading them out and using a more typical duty cycle for a show will result in substantially lower temps.

All in all, it looks like there's nothing to worry about with the Battery Box setup from a temperature standpoint.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, »
I'm not sure if I read this right.  Did you take a reading of the outside of the box?  You might want to run your test and at the end of the time frame, open the lid and take the temp of the supply itself.  A low temp on the outside of the case may only be showing the cases insulating properties. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2011, »
i went back into sears yesterday, and bought my battery box, they actually had two sizes, a car battery size for about $9, ans a slightly longer one for about $10. i got the one for $10.  i do notice, i'll have to cover the vent holes in the lid, but i think that's all i'll have to do.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline c56

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2011, »
I'm not sure if I read this right.  Did you take a reading of the outside of the box?  You might want to run your test and at the end of the time frame, open the lid and take the temp of the supply itself.  A low temp on the outside of the case may only be showing the cases insulating properties.

Yes, I did read the outside of the box. You are correct this does not directly measure the air temp inside the box, nor the temp of the hub or Power Supply. Even if you did take a measure of the power supply, you would not be reading the temp of the components inside directly, which is where you would be most interested to gauge component reliability. There is some insulation value provided by the polypropylene case, however it's relatively thin and therefore doesn't provide a great deal of insulation; there is also the fact that the case is by no means sealed and there is some air exchange with the outside environment.

While I could repeat the test and put a thermocouple on the hub PC board and the power supply (or run a detailed thermal analysis), I do not feel it's worth the time given the relative small rise in temp on the battery box.

Skip

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, »
warning, sarcasm inserted...

just drill a hole in the top, and insert a roasting thermometer  ;D

sarcasm off...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, »
I run PC power supplies in plastic shoeboxes located in the yard for driving my MR16 flood lights and have never had a problem with moisture or heat for that matter.

These battery cases provide a large amount of air flow so I just don't see any overheating problems being created at all.

The worst thing might happen if a chipmunk was to squeez into one of the vents for some reason.  ;D

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, »
The worst thing might happen if a chipmunk was to squeez into one of the vents for some reason.  ;D

Then you'd have "chipmunks roasting on an open power supply..."

-Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2011, »

-Mike

That's funny I don't care who you are!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2011, »

-Mike
<la..
That one really made me laugh. Classic!
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, »
Allways happy to contribute to the enjoyment of the community.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2011, »

-Mike

Tastes like chicken, they say.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline JZ

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2011, »
I picked up the small battery box from Wal-Mart yesterday to house the Smart String Hub and PC power supply.  I noticed that if you turn the SSH board so that it's long dimension goes across the short width of the battery box it sits nicely on the little ledge molded into the battery box.  It is slightly snug which keeps it from sliding around but does not deflect the sides of the box enough that the lid doesn't still fit easily.  I think this will be how I use it.