Author Topic: I "might" have a solution for running vixen in Windows 7  (Read 2372 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
I need a volunteer that has Windows 7 64 or 32 bit editions in either Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate versions.
Not Starter or Home Editions.

AND...

had a USB Lynx Dongle and able to control the blinky blinky  :)

Edited to add 32bit
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline gforman

! have two setups that might work.

Windows 7 64bit Proffessional
windows 7 32bit Ultimate

Let me know how I can assist

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have all of the above and I do not have any trouble running Vixen.  My show computer for 2010 was running Win7 Pro x32.  My sequencing computer is Win7 Home Premium x64 and my test computer in the yard and at my workbench is Win7 Ultimate x32 running on a netbook.  What is the problem with running on Win 7.  Works everywhere I try it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

some people have trouble running some of the add-ins while running on win7

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have all of the above and I do not have any trouble running Vixen.  My show computer for 2010 was running Win7 Pro x32.  My sequencing computer is Win7 Home Premium x64 and my test computer in the yard and at my workbench is Win7 Ultimate x32 running on a netbook.  What is the problem with running on Win 7.  Works everywhere I try it.

My 2010 Videos

Offline gophergrove

Chris is probably refering to configuring Win7 Pro with XPmode (a virtual install of XP on Win7).  It works great for legacy apps which are not compatible with Win7 - you can even have shortcuts to the XPmode apps on the Win7 desktop so the end user doesn't even realize it is running inside XP.  However, XPmode being virtual doesn't have direct access to the hardware including USB ports - it is virtualized by the host OS and this is where the testing needs to come in.  Even though Vixen will work fine in XPmode you might trade off one problem (plugin working) for another (dongle not working)...
Chris, if this is what you are thinking, I'd be happy to test once I get my dongles built.  But if one of the other members who have the hardware and Win7Pro want to do it and need assistance I'd be happy to PM some directions.

Offline chrisatpsu

Yes, that's is my idea, I dont have a dongle yet to implement either.