Author Topic: Lynx Express - Configuration Program  (Read 24144 times)

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
Re: Lynx Express - Configuration Program
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, »
i think so
 this will assign address to controller so more than one controller can be placed on network
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, »
No this is more for programming the light curves RJ has a bunch of different once already pre-programmed you could put the start address in but no need.  That is part of what the 3 digit display is you can do it right at the controller with nothing hooked up to it.  This meaning you can change the start address on the fly and not worry what controller goes where in your yard.  Doesn't seam like a cool feature till you think about it and then you say "everybody should have that feature."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, »
i think so
 this will assign address to controller so more than one controller can be placed on network

It can assigned an address to the LE but it also allows for custom dimming curves for LED lights and incandescent lights

Also you can assigned the address to the LE right on the board with the push buttons

btw: you can have more than one controller on the same address and they both will work. They will just duplicate each other

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, »
I'm trying to use the config program to set light curves and the channel.
This is a new LE, I can set the channel using the push buttons.  I can also see DMX successfully control the board by turning on lights.
The manual, and the instructions above are a little mixed up... for example:
Note Next two steps are swappable.
    • Put your Express in prg mode by hitting the mode button and when "PRG" shows up hit the edit button to turn the decimal on the right on. It should show "PRG." 
    • Now hit the Program button and the express should program and reboot.
The windows program will stay in transmit mode until you click on the stop button. This allows you to walk around your yard and program all of your Expresses if needed.

This are constructive suggestions...

I think the word "edit" above should be "Select"

Also, when working with two components, its useful to identify what is being referred to... especially if the terminology is similar at both ends...

"Now At the computer hit the Program button and the express should program and reboot. "

Next... the link to the video demonstrating the config utility no longer works.  This is a problem in the posting above, and also in the manual.

Another problem... on my windows 7 machine I found that the utility aborted each time until I ran it as administrator.

Back to my original problem...  I press Mode-then-Select getting the "PRG." state...  I use the utility to set the COM port, the desired channel, and the curve info...  I press "Program" at the utility but nothing happens at the LE... not blinky (like a SSC), the LED panel remains unchanged, and it does not reboot.

Suggestions?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Lynx Express - Configuration ProgSam
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, »
Steve if you have issues with the wiki just make changes. You have in the past and you have full member access there.

Are you using a USB dongle or the Etherdongle? The Lynx config program won't work with the Etherdongle or with the USB dongle with pixelnet firmware loaded.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, »
Steve if you have issues with the wiki just make changes. You have in the past and you have full member access there.

Are you using a USB dongle or the Etherdongle? The Lynx config program won't work with the Etherdongle or with the USB dongle with pixelnet firmware loaded.

Rick R.

I felt uncomfortable changing someone else's wiki posting.  But I'll make these changes.
I WAS using a USB pixelnet dongle and a smart hub to get my DMX.  I saw LED on the Express blinking with DMX activity, so I didn't suspect the pixelnet as my problem.  I'll give a DMX dongle a try.  Thanks!
Also, I didn't see a mention of pixelnet nor EtD in the manual... I'll add that tidbit as well. 

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, »

Rick R.

I felt uncomfortable changing someone else's wiki posting.  But I'll make these changes.
I WAS using a USB pixelnet dongle and a smart hub to get my DMX.  I saw LED on the Express blinking with DMX activity, so I didn't suspect the pixelnet as my problem.  I'll give a DMX dongle a try.  Thanks!
Also, I didn't see a mention of pixelnet nor EtD in the manual... I'll add that tidbit as well. 

Steve

Steve or anybody else. The whole reason for the manuals in the wiki format is to allow any DLA member to make updates where they see a problem. Trust me when I say that RJ and I are NOT word smiths. We do what we can to make it easy enough for anybody to build a device. That said there is always room for improvement. I get a lot of members telling me how to improve something and most times I will do it for them but at some point I need members help to with the wiki.

Rick R.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, »
In the software section of the wiki. I did this chart a while ago. In fact I need to see if it needs to be updated.

It does show that the LE conf program only works with the usb DMX Dongle.

Hope that helps

Rick R.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, »
that was it!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, »
I've updated the Express Wiki section "Lynx Express Configuration Utility":

Please review, and let me know what should be corrected/improved.

• I've added some detail around the light curves, and explained the Strobe curve.
  • I've added the note about admin rights in windows
  • I've added the info about the USB DMX dongle requirements
  • I've updated the procedure to configure the Express by calling out the place where the changes are made, and clarifying the names of the buttons as they appear on the PCB.
  • I've added a debugging section
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, by Steve Gase »

Offline DonFL

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, »
Can't say enough good things about the config utility..its one of those little extra features that to me helps set the Lynx Express head and shoulders above any other AC controller out there.