Author Topic: Light Normalization questions  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
Light Normalization questions
« on: May 16, 2009, »
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to do a 16 ch test of my Expresses and have been reading about the Normalization utility. Watched Bill's video, nice work Bill. The only thing that was not explained was what the Green light should have been set to, to have the same curve as the Red mini's and White LED's. Maybe that wasn't known yet, which bring me to my first question.
1. As most of us, I have several different brands of lights. If I don't know what brand the lights are, Does the normalization process have to be a test of each string of lights that will be driven by the Express?

2. Maybe I'm over thinking it. My 4 expresses will be controlling Arches with only White, 100 ct mini's. But there will be different brands involved.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Light Normalization questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, »
Well in the case of 100ct minis it makes little difference. The Wal mart 100ct minis will likely work great for you. The color does not matter as the lights are painted to make them colors and the bulbs are the same.

It is when different count, or you use the energy saving mini's that it might come into play for you. When you start looking at LED's of CFL's, ETC. then it is a whole nother thing. The colors matter as the leds of different  colors use different voltages and come on at different times. The curves are all over the place, etc.

Hope that answers your questions. If not I did not understand it well. Let me know.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, »
Thanks for the response RJ.

So if I understand correctly...I should be able to use the LE as is, with no normalization, since all of the lights I will be using are 100 ct mini's, either Wallmart or other common brands.

Brad

PS, Just picked up 32 16/2 6' extension cords at HD for .96 each in brown. ;D
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, »
I would still use the wallmart 100ct mini light curve set that as curve one and all 16 channels use curve 1

The lights will look better than the default and give you the full range of light

imho

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, »
I agree with Rick.  If you are using all Walmart minis set the curve to that for all your LEs.

I use almost all Walmart minis and I tested it after last season.  It looks much better using the curve.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, »
Yes I mean use the curve. My point is with 100ct standard mini's the curve not being the exact brand will not be a real issue so use the wal mart mini's and they will be great. They will come on at level 1 and max out at level 255 or 100%.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, »
Okay.
That's what I'll do.
Thanks guys.
Brad