Author Topic: What is the Lynx Express?  (Read 70058 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is the Lynx Express?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok after working the design some more during layout I came up with some more savings in the parts so the current layout the part cost for the express looks like this.

1 -  $47.74
25 - $39.24
50 - $35.38
100 - $32.25
250 - $30.48
1000 - $28.47

With a pcb cost of about $8 we could do the Express with a coop for 50 of them for about  $43.38 or $2.71 a channel complete for dimming.

If you want the optional channel led's it will add just a little in parts cost. (16 leds)

I will be pushing ahead on this now as I need at least three for my show this year. It will priority #1 at this point.

RJ

Ok RJ that does it. I have to send you my medical bills.

The Doctor has double the price to put my jaw back in its correct place (again).
That is just crazy numbers for the Express..

Full speed ahead (wait that is boat talk)
Flaps down, full throttle?? (I am not really a plane person :D)

Take care and many thanks RJ

Rick R.

Yes I can tell rick as Flaps down full throttle would be to go slow. Flaps up Full Throttle would be to go fast as well as empty my wallet faster. As in 19 gallons an hour @ $5.45 a gallon = $103.55 and hour. But man we would be getting it!
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, »
RJ... go for it!

As my only dimmers are the SSR16's I have on order, I'm beginning to get a little worried that they are not going to see the light of day (or make light at night) anytime soon in light - ok i'll stop now - of the situation with our inactive friend.  The Lynx Express would be a godsend if that is the case.

Should I be worried?

Never worry about Blinky it is all for fun and believe me it all comes together in the end. you should have seen me last year. I designed all new equipment to put a show on my first year and did 216 channels including a 2 ledtriks, robolights. If I can pull that off you got no problems.  Keep the faith and hang in there.

RJ

Offline christmas_in_VA

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, »
RJ, are you at the point that you need beta testers or do you feel the design is solid? Because if Bill and the SSR16 COOP "fall through" due to uncontrollable things. This might be a good replacement.

Ben
Ben Ullman

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, »
RJ, are you at the point that you need beta testers or do you feel the design is solid? Because if Bill and the SSR16 COOP "fall through" due to uncontrollable things. This might be a good replacement.

Ben

It would be just the Co-Op that would "fall through" as I cannot controll access to the PCB files

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, »

Ben

It would be just the Co-Op that would "fall through" as I cannot controll access to the PCB files

Bill

Bill is correct the SSR16 is not going away I would expect. This is just a bump in the road. The coop is closed but when Phil gets things taken care of I would expect it to get back on track and a new coop to get started.

RJ

Offline christmas_in_VA

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, »
Sorry, I did not to mean it a fault of you Bill, let me rephrase. The Tiger SSR16 is no meant for me due to time restraints ;)

Ben

Ben

Bill

Ben Ullman

Offline christmas_in_VA

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, »
RJ l'd be willing to Beta test 10 of these. Let me know what you need me to do.

Ben
Ben Ullman

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, »
Heres a picture of the Layout of the Express at this point. I have not tried to make it small  but instead stayed with the same PCB size and mounting as the Freestyle.  It has optional Led's for each channel that will dim with their Channel.

As you can see it is just a 16 channel Pic dimmer with on board SSR. There is nothing really special about the hardware except the pic and the extra goodie above it, a 64K flash memory chip to allow the dimming curves, etc to be stored. The Pic is a 16 bit pic and The firmware is very different to allow it to do the new abilities. The hardpart of this setup is the Firmware but it is coming along well. Allong with the firmware I am having to create the Software that programs the unit.

RJ
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, by RJ »

Offline christmas_in_VA

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, »
Heres a picture of the Layout of the Express at this point. I have ot tried to make it small  but instead stayed with the same PCB size and mounting as the Freestyle.  It has optional Led's for each channel that will dim with their Channel.

RJ

I love it RJ!!! So when does the 802.11 wireless come out? ;)

Ben
Ben Ullman

Offline Greg

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, »
Nice!

So, when does the Co-op start?  ;D
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, »
will there be any way to back port some of these advanced features to the other devices like the ssr4 so it can have channel based leveling?
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, »
will there be any way to back port some of these advanced features to the other devices like the ssr4 so it can have channel based leveling?

Just my guess (I could be very wrong) but I would think the SSR4 is too tight to add that big pic chip to. In the first post of this thread RJ mentions updating the FreeStyle once the Lynx Express is out.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, »
He mentioned a daughter board that would replace the current chip on the Freestyle.  Thus making the upgrade possible.   Couldn't the same process be applied to the SSR4?   

Larry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, by vairmoose »
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, »
Very Nice RJ

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, »
He mentioned a daughter board that would replace the current chip on the Freestyle.  Thus making the upgrade possible.   Couldn't the same process be applied to the SSR4?   

Larry

It might be. It would be done just like the Freestyle with the little module that plugs into the pic socket but might have to be attached into the case lid with a small cable to the socket. We shall se once it is complete. One giant leap at a time! LOL

RJ