Author Topic: What is the Lynx Express?  (Read 70066 times)

Offline christmas_in_VA

Re: What is the Lynx Express?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, »
I noticed it said C9 replacement, this controller works with the C9 replacements?! Cool. I have wanted to get those to dim for a while.

Ben
Ben Ullman

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, »
OK,

Time for an update. I have made some very good progress with the Express Firmware. I have it dimming on multiple curves at this point. At least its on board LEDS. I will have parts tommorrow to do more hardware testing.

But the big news is the changes! after some arm twisting by Todd! .. just kidding Todd, I was asked to rethink my choice on the max current limits of the express and to punch them up to a commercial level. So as you can see in the picture of the updated PCB we now have two AC inputs and the triac's have been rearrainged to allow a big heatsink to be installed. This will allow the Express to use up to 2 20 amp feeds and the new max rating to be 40 amps! with a per channel rating of 4 amps per channel. This is 1200 minis per channel or about 10,000 LED's per channel! I did install some jumper points to allow you to make it a single feed. This will limit you to 20 amps. and 2 amps per channel. you will not need a heatsink for this.  the choice again will be yours.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, »
It just continues to get better!  It looks great, RJ. 

Are you using the same triacs, just requiring a heatsink for the full 4 amps?

Ron

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, »
Mmmmmmm more power

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It just continues to get better!  It looks great, RJ. 

Are you using the same triacs, just requiring a heatsink for the full 4 amps?

Ron

Yes, they are rated for 6 amps so with a good heatsink we will be in safe operating range.

RJ

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, »
Sounds great RJ.  The option for single or dual power looks fantastic.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, »
Out of 22 Pm's this evening when I got home.  Three were from people pointing out that I might need to think about what it takes to handle 40 amps of current. One said I should use a trace calculator.

I can only guess that this is because when I am showing the picture of the front of the express people think they are looking at load carrying traces and that I have undersized them.

I have attached a picture of the back of the layout to hopeful remove the concerns.  I use the same rules when every I layout a high voltage design. These come from the UL standards for trace clearances and the ANSI recommended minimums for trace sizing. These are very conservative as in most standards the 20 amp of one side would call for about 350 mils , ANSI asks for 429 mils, mine are 450 mils. This is considered at a allowable temperature rise of only 10 deg C (again conservative). UL calls for the traces separation to be 47 mils and this is the limit I used.

For the 4 amp max traces on the channel feeds most would accept 31 mils, ANSI asks for 39 mils, I used 60 mils.

The large traces in the image are the only current carrying traces on the PCB.

I feel the design is begin done with a very conservative eye. I hope this helps put any concerns to rest.
But if anyone has input they think I am overlooking feel free to PM me. Hopeful like this I can show it is OK, and if not you could help me prevent a problem.

I want to thank the three that PM me to warn me of the serious requirements of copper a current that high would require.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, »
Yeah but what about the middle layer?

what are you hiding there LOL

RIck R.

(P.S. there is really no need to response to this)
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline CaptainBli

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, »

This board is looking very good.  Is there a chance to help with Beta testing or helping out with the firmware? 

Sincerely,
Brent

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, »

This board is looking very good.  Is there a chance to help with Beta testing or helping out with the firmware? 

Sincerely,
Brent

Unless the size of the beta test goes up or someone who is setup as a beta tester drops out I do not have any openings. This does not mean you want get to test one this year. But the first protos are lined up to the beta guys. If anyone drops out I will look throught the list of people how have also posted and start at the top and work down. (only fair way)

RJ

Offline CaptainBli

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008, »

I understand,  Of course that makes sense.  Any chance that the express will be finished before the end of September, since it has gone into Beta? 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, »
It is still being designed and prototyped. It has not gone to beta. It will most likely be September before it goes to beta.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, »
It is still being designed and prototyped. It has not gone to beta. It will most likely be September before it goes to beta.

RJ

As most of you (except Rick!) could figure out I meant October not September. Sorry been working long hours he and at the real Job!

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, »

RJ

As most of you (except Rick!) could figure out I meant October not September. Sorry been working long hours he and at the real Job!

RJ

Huh?? What???

What did I do ?

Oh wait....

You mean the PRIVATE MESSAGE that I sent you. Yeah I was having fun with you but I did it in a way where you could of just made a change to the post.

I am sorry for upsetting you RJ.

Please accept my apology

Rick R.

P.S. Get some sleep
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, »
Hey Rick!, Gotcha!

I have to get back at you once in a while! I ain't mad, just giving you some static back. LOL

RJ