Author Topic: Mega Tree SS Cost/Size Calculator  (Read 10157 times)

Offline Trepidati0n

Mega Tree SS Cost/Size Calculator
« on: January 14, 2011, »
I figure a lot of people will be using SS for a mega tree.  So, I figure a nice Excell spreadsheet will help.  Modify the stuff in green and the stuff that will hurt your bank account is in yellow.   A simple example:

128 pixels per string, run each string back and forth from tip to edge 3x, spacing each string 3.5" at the bottom wth a height/width ratio of 2.75:1 will result in needing 16 strings @ and approximate cost of $1600 that is ~12 feet high.  

Note: As a counter point, a RGBW of seperate strings would total about $1300 ($900 for LED strings and $400 for 4 LE's enclosed with cables).   Therefore, it is pretty easy to determine if the ~$300 cost increase is woth the nearly infinite color/pattern pallet and much simplier wiring/layout.

This spreadsheet is provided as is...no warranty....and don't count on the $/item values.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, by Trepidati0n »
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline njKeever

Re: Mega Tree SS Cost/Size Calculator
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, »
Wow, nice work. I would think most people would want to base the calculations on the size of the tree instead of number of nodes, but that's not hard to chance.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, »
Size is going to be the deciding factor me.  However, I was able to adjust my calculations and use your Excel and it worked out great.  Good job on this! <res..  It would be cool to have a node to width and height calculator. Example: if the tree were 10' tall and has a  3' radius, than you would need this length of string/#nodes for single strand.

I will be doing this and than I will keep adding longer strings or more control as needed as the show builds.

Again, this is great and works very well thought out.

Kevin

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, nice work. I would think most people would want to base the calculations on the size of the tree instead of number of nodes, but that's not hard to chance.

Well, knowing how many nodes on a string is of reasonable importance since if you start cutting nodes off the maximum...you might get that perfect height/width, but the amount of nodes per controller/hub goes lower and thus cost goes up.  If you are clever though, when you set N, it can be a 0.5 (1.5, 2.5..etc) if you meet in the middle of a run to provide a bit more flexibility.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, »
Size is going to be the deciding factor me.  However, I was able to adjust my calculations and use your Excel and it worked out great.  Good job on this! <res..  It would be cool to have a node to width and height calculator. Example: if the tree were 10' tall and has a  3' radius, than you would need this length of string/#nodes for single strand.

I will be doing this and than I will keep adding longer strings or more control as needed as the show builds.

Again, this is great and works very well thought out.

Kevin

If you want to do that, set R (in your case 1.66666666666) and N (something like 3)...and start reducing hte amount of nodes until you see the height @ 10feet.  The ansewr is ~107.  To keep it to 16 strings...the spacing is 4.7" on the base.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, »
Thank you for doing that.  That is exactly what I came up with. Nice playing with smart people.   Again, nice job on this sheet.   

Offline travailen

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, »
Working on my mega tree tonight and so downloaded your calculator.

Thanks for the effort. It is a great spreadsheet. Easy to use and easy to understand.

Rick S

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, »
Updated Zip file to put an office 97-2003 version of the file for "old school" peeps around here.  <wd..

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, »
Big Thank you for the  old school version  >.d9
Jerry Plak

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, »
Now....we just need to figure out an algorithm to make that final cost cheaper!! LOL  I was dreaming when I was just plugging in numbers to play....$5,700...ouch!  Maybe I dream to big....

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, »
Nice spreadsheet, very useful.

In the example you have, you show '62.24A' as 'Power needed per supply'.  Can you expand on what exactly you're referring to there?  How do you get 62A supplied from one power supply?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, »
62A @ 12v
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, »
Nice spreadsheet, very useful.

In the example you have, you show '62.24A' as 'Power needed per supply'.  Can you expand on what exactly you're referring to there?  How do you get 62A supplied from one power supply?

When looking for a power supply, look for single rail supplies... and in this case look for one that delivers 62amps of 12v power.

You can figure out the needed 12v wattage as (12volts x 62amps = 744watts). 

So, when wading through the choices, you know that you should only bother to look for a power supply that delivers 750 watts OR GREATER.  When you look through that list, then look for minimum 62 12v amps.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, »

When looking for a power supply, look for single rail supplies... and in this case look for one that delivers 62amps of 12v power.

You can figure out the needed 12v wattage as (12volts x 62amps = 744watts). 

It is recommended to not run your power supplies at 100% so don't forget to add some overhead.
I think most people recommend 80% so

62amps / 0.8 = 77.5 x 12volts = 930 watts.

Just because the power supply is rated at 930 watts doesn't necessarily mean it will put out 77.5 amps on the 12v rail, you need to look at the specs.

Also don't forget channel count limitations if you do not overlap channels or run in string mode:
1 universe of pixelnet = 4096 channels

4096 / 3 ch per node = 1365 / 16 SS hub ports = 85 nodes per string

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, »
I figure a lot of people will be using SS for a mega tree.  So, I figure a nice Excell spreadsheet will help.  Modify the stuff in green and the stuff that will hurt your bank account is in yellow.   A simple example:

128 pixels per string, run each string back and forth from tip to edge 3x, spacing each string 3.5" at the bottom wth a height/width ratio of 2.75:1 will result in needing 16 strings @ and approximate cost of $1600 that is ~12 feet high. 

Note: As a counter point, a RGBW of seperate strings would total about $1300 ($900 for LED strings and $400 for 4 LE's enclosed with cables).   Therefore, it is pretty easy to determine if the ~$300 cost increase is woth the nearly infinite color/pattern pallet and much simplier wiring/layout.

This spreadsheet is provided as is...no warranty....and don't count on the $/item values.  ;)

Looks very nice.

Could you make a simpler one also? Maybe on another sheet?

Just prompt for number of strings ,number of pixels, price per string.

(You also forgot the cost of the ether dongle.)

Here is my tree.

20 strings
120 pixels per string
$42 per string

I also need
20 SSC's ($10 last year)
1 etherdongle ($94 last year)
2 hubs ($62 last year)

20 10' cat5 cables ($1.50 ea. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
2 power supplies
1 50' cat5 cable to reach my computer
1 cat5 to connect between two hubs

You can also simplify the dimensions, i do this in nutcracker.

If flex strips the spacing is 1.3:, regular strings i use 3".
Calculate the hypotenuse
Assume diameter is half the height
Now you can calculate all the dimensions.

You will be very close for most peoples tree. Also you might ask if it is a half megatree (Just if you want the spacing correct for between vertical strands. my 20x120 is a half megatree.

You might extend this configurator concept and include the cost to build the same tree with Sandevices E682 and also j1sys ecg-p12r.

Both of these are $180 assembled, $110 as a kit. They have a built in ethernet connector that is e1.31. If you need more than one card, you need an ethernet switch (about $50).
They do not come with cases or power supplies.
e682 drives 16 strings and 8 universes
p12r drives 12 strings and 12 universes. If you do put 170 pixels on each (one universe), you will need power injection.
they both can drive 180x, 2801 and 2811.

They do not need the concept of a SSC if the distance is under 20'. Just connect the strings to the boards using cat5 cables
you can use the 12v ws2811 flex strips that are $0.21 per pixel for cost estimates. Our 1809 flex strip is $0.35 per pixel.

Now some one  answers 3 questions and you estimate the cost for the three main controllers.

again, good job.

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login