Author Topic: 4 Dongles a problem?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline fbinthesouth

4 Dongles a problem?
« on: January 16, 2011, »
I am planning on needing 4 dongles for the smart strings. In addition there will be a LOR network that will be running on the same computer. Both would be using LSP to run the shows.
Will I have problems getting all 5 USB adapters running on the same computer?
I have never run more than two LOR adapters.

RW

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: 4 Dongles a problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Will I have problems getting all 5 USB adapters running on the same computer?

Does your computer currently support five USB ports (I'm guessing no)?

You can then go with a PCI card that has multiple USB ports on it or a powered hub. Both *should* work, but you'll probably need to platform this early on to make certain.

\dmc

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, »
I can not answer. I have not run this many. I did run two pixelnet dongles and a DMX dongle but that was it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, »
I have six USB ports but that is not my worry! I am worried about having 4 pixelnet dongles talking at the same time.
Any reason that the pixelnet dongles should not be able to co-exist that anyone can think of? I mean, if you are going to have a lot of nodes, they better be able to "get along". I was planning to have about 60 strings of 80 nodes and that is 14400 channels. If I am right, that will be 4 dongles.
Does ANYONE have four dongles they can try even if not flashed as pixelnet? i know there are a lot of us wanting a lot of nodes and we will need to know. I have the dongles on order and have my mouser parts already but waiting on the coop boards.

Just thinking I might want to make sure I can get the dongles to talk before ordering a bunch of controller boards and nodes!

My wife beckons so have to go.
RW
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, by fbinthesouth »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, »
RW:

I think if I were planning the scope of the show you outlined in the last message, I would want to wait to see how the Ethernet adapter (E1.31) that RJ believes he will design comes out. It will certainly be cheaper than four USB dongles and will certainly control the number of channels you are projecting.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, »
In time for THIS year? I understood it to be in the undetermined near future...
RW