Author Topic: Dongle coop Question  (Read 5738 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Dongle coop Question
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, »
You are correct, 4000 channels.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, »
I'll throw my question in this thread, maybe RJ will set it.

Does anybody know what version of the PCB is in the current coop?  Is it the v2.0 board or have there been changes made to it?

Thanks.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll throw my question in this thread, maybe RJ will set it.

Does anybody know what version of the PCB is in the current coop?  Is it the v2.0 board or have there been changes made to it?

Thanks.

Ron

I never sell old versions of PCB's the latest Dongle is V2

I am updating the silk to show the smaller cap.

RJ
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, »
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess with all the excitement with the smart strings I should have figured that was behind some of the  numbers. I liked the idea of having a couple of extra boards on hand in case a friend of gets interested in DLA, so I increased my board order by 2.

Thanks again,

Rich

Offline keitha43

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, »
Okay I am new to RJ's dongle building procedure. I have put my request in for boards and have ordered the parts and case. My understanding is that there is a PIC chip that I will need to send to a member from the WIKI page to be programmed correct? And I assume the "Pixelnet" flash isn't out yet to get this ready for SmartStrings yet correct? If I am correct, where would I watch for to know when to mail the chip to get the "Pixelnet" flash?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, »
You are correct, the chip will need to be programmed.  I don't think that the flash for Pixelnet has been released yet but RJ will make an announcement when it is in the Pixelnet coop when it gets going.  I wouldn't worry about missing that as many will be talking about it in the dongle and smart strings sections as well and you should also see it appear i the Wiki.  If you are going to be putting smart strings in your display you may want to invest in your own programmer because if I understand it correctly and I may be wrong, each string controller will also have a pic and may need to be programmed down the road.  Normally Pics come programmed in full coop kits but the shear volume of them in the upcoming smart string coop may prevent that from happening this time and once again, the large number of them may also overwhelm the members volunteering to program for others which could extend your wait time to get the Pics back. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, »
There's a group of helpful folks listed in the Wiki that will program your PICs for you.  Just select somebody close to you and shoot them a PM.

Ron

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, »
IMHO, with all the money we put into our displays, buying a pickit and adapters is just a rounding error in our spending.  I have had to reflash all my LEs and wireless equipment at least once and I firmly expect that I will need to do it again.  For me there is no answer, but to own my own.  By the time I start spending postage money sending chips back and forth I would also be spending money that could have gone toward owning my own pickit and I would not lose time in mailing things back and forth and running to the post office.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, »
What kit are you using to program your pic?
Is there a good one we should consider?
RW

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, »
Here you go:

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, »
Is that the one you use? It says it does the  18f2450 but the description acts like the software that comes with it is squirrely.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, »

that is what I use

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, »
You need the 28 pin ZIF (ICSP28) to do the 18F2450.  I recently researched the issue to make my Pic programmer decision...

Kirk
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline kbowen

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, »

that is what I use

Do I need all of that? I am just getting started & didn't want to have a bunch of stuff that I don't need. Do I just need the one for the 28 pin ?

Thanks