Author Topic: Group types  (Read 2119 times)

Offline csf

Group types
« on: January 17, 2011, »
To really make groups powerful each group needs some additional data of what type of lights there controlling.

EX turn on all red lights, turn on all blue lights, and so on.

Then these types will be used in the effects to figure out what to do with what.

Now eventually it may be nice to have all types and effects handled by an out side scripting language,  but for now I think it will make things  easer for every one to just be coded in.

That being said I would like to open up the type list to the community to give feed back to.

Currently I have
Red
Green
Blue
White
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Pink
Multi Color
Figurine

Does any one see something I am missing that I should add to the list?

It really does not matter if it's and LED, Incandescent, flood light, spot light or so on since red will stile be red and I don't see how entering that data will be useful to the program or the end user, if you disagree please fell free to let me know.

The more I have developed the ideas for this program the more it comes down to getting groups right, so I want to get it right the first go around ;)

Offline ptone

Re: Group types
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To really make groups powerful each group needs some additional data of what type of lights there controlling.

EX turn on all red lights, turn on all blue lights, and so on.

Not seeing how you've structured your code, my comments may or may not make sense or be appropriate.  But why wouldn't all red lights be a group.  At some point the user needs to tell the software what color a string (for fixed color lights), so that action might as well just be the adding of it to a group. (you could have some standard groups set up for this if you wanted)

If a given channel or light can be in more than one group than you would have for example:

Channel 5 = red string on right side of roof

add it to the roof group
add it to the red group
add it to the all_lights group
add it to the top group (for vertical stuff) etc

Then these types will be used in the effects to figure out what to do with what.

I think that for color effects, we start talking really about RGB.  I'm not sure what kind of interesting color effects you can do with fixed color strings?

One thing you might consider in mixing fixed color and RGB lights, is to assign a Hue value (from HSV color space) to a fixed color string and let the user assign the label for that.  you could then use that to match RGB strings to fixed color strings in whole display effects.

The more I have developed the ideas for this program the more it comes down to getting groups right, so I want to get it right the first go around ;)

Its a good solid puzzle isn't it.  I've already re-architected a few things along the way as I realized I coded myself into a corner I didn't like.

I've come to a decent stabilized approach with the concept of the LightElement, which may be a single light, a group, or a chase etc.  And a LightGroup, which is a collection of elements (including other groups, or chases)  In fact a Chase is a subclass of a group.  So you can combine these in some very powerful ways (for example a chase of groups, nested groups, or a group of chases triggered in unison). 

Effects are processed after elements, so they have a chance to modify the light output (primarily change color or intensity in some way over time - strobe,pulse etc).

I'd be interested to hear more about the data structures you've come up with for groups, and how a group interacts with the sequence.

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline csf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, »
Ptone I think we have come to allot of similar conclusions.

Take a look at the image I am attaching, I think it will explain what I am going for pretty well.

Basically the groups will form a type of tree structure.

Then you will pic a group you want to transverse down and a method will return each VC with there type to to the effect.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, by csf »

Offline ptone

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, »
how's it going?  Any updates?

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline csf

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, »
On temporary hold for a few reasons.

1) Matt is doing allot of work on xlights, so I want him to get his changes in place so I can build correctly on top of them.
2) My original idea was for standard and RBB display elements. The pixel stuff is changing the ball game quite a bit, so I want to see how it develops and get my hands on some hardware before making the final design.
3) Right now between class, work, and an internship I am doing close 70 hour weeks, so my time is very limited. So I figure by the time I get out of class I will hopefully have some hardware I can play with and finalize the design :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, by csf »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, »
3) Right now between class, work, and an internship I am doing close 70 hour weeks, so my time is very limited.

This is good training should you decide to go into business for yourself -- don't ask me how I know ;-) ...

\dmc