Author Topic: Dongle Manual V1 & V2  (Read 2440 times)

Offline mmais68569

Dongle Manual V1 & V2
« on: January 17, 2011, »
What is the difference between V1 manual in the WIKI & V2 that is now shipping.
            Mike

Offline tbone321

Re: Dongle Manual V1 & V2
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
The version 2 dongle has indicator LED's for power and DMX output as well as a test output capability that has not been implemented yet. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, »
So the build manual on line is correct with no changes other then adding the 2 test leds.

Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, »
Hi Mike

I know there are 2 leds and 2 resistors for the leds another resistor and 2 pin jumper block and jumper added to the v2 dongle

All of the parts are outline and identify on the pcb

Hope that helps

p.s. Sorry the manual is not up to date

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, »
I just finished building it & realized the extra parts, good thing they were marked & easy to follow.

Mike

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, »
I just got out my box of parts for the V2 dongle that Mouser shipped me based on the Mouser Direct Link.  When I go to the wiki there is no BOM for either V1 or V2 Dongle or any other Lynx board as well.  There is also not a manual for the V2 dongle. 

I know about the LEDs and resistor, I can figure out the shunt, but my board says there is a 100uf capacitor, but I was shipped a 22uf capacitor.  Looks like we need to get some official docs in the wiki.  Especially with the hundreds of dongle pcbs being ordered.

What's up with the capacitor difference?   

Why do we no longer have BOMs in the wiki?  I like to print them out and use them as a checklist when my order comes in to be sure that I have everything before I start building. 

On another note, the BOM list in the manual has part numbers and no descriptions.  As a non electrical engineer I need more than just a part number.  If we need some pictures of the V2 dongle during assembly I can take them and send them to someone more knowledgable than me for making a V2 manual.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, »
I just got out my box of parts for the V2 dongle that Mouser shipped me based on the Mouser Direct Link.  When I go to the wiki there is no BOM for either V1 or V2 Dongle or any other Lynx board as well.  There is also not a manual for the V2 dongle. 

I know about the LEDs and resistor, I can figure out the shunt, but my board says there is a 100uf capacitor, but I was shipped a 22uf capacitor.  Looks like we need to get some official docs in the wiki.  Especially with the hundreds of dongle pcbs being ordered.

What's up with the capacitor difference?   

Why do we no longer have BOMs in the wiki?  I like to print them out and use them as a checklist when my order comes in to be sure that I have everything before I start building. 

On another note, the BOM list in the manual has part numbers and no descriptions.  As a non electrical engineer I need more than just a part number.  If we need some pictures of the V2 dongle during assembly I can take them and send them to someone more knowledgable than me for making a V2 manual.

For the capacitor change it is in the big read post stickied to the top of the Dongle area marked "Dongle Part change"

For the BOM in the wiki I had them removed. The only BOM's will be one bom link for each piece of equipment from now on. I go tired of users not getting the correct parts and being upset be cause there we 5 boms floating around and when a change would be made one of them would be missed.

This way we are all working from the same parts list.

I am sure rick would love some pics to use onthe beat V2 manual that has not been updated yet.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, »
Thanks RJ

I don't read all the posts for things I am not building at the moment and I missed that one.  I've had my V2 boards for a long time, but I gave up trying to build either one since the parts for them last fall had so many backorders.  I already had two working V1 dongles and didn't need them for the season.  But with all the pcbs being ordered I thought I'd check Mouser again and voila all the parts were available so I ordered one set to beat the rush that will occur once the new pcbs hit the street.

I did put everything together tonight, but the capacitor and I did take bunch of pictures.  but the iron is cool now so I'll finish it tomorrow.

I would still like to see somewhere a list of parts to use as a check off to make sure that I have everything I need before I start building.  It even says to do that in the manual.  I guess we could use the Mouser packing list, but then there is no the cross check with the manual or BOM.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, »
Thank you for pointing out the mistakes in the manual. I cleaned it up to remove some confusion and wrong info.

Cheers

Of course since I don't have a v2 dongle I can't update the pictures to match it up with the text.

Rick R.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, »

...  But with all the pcbs being ordered I thought I'd check Mouser again and voila all the parts were available so I ordered one set to beat the rush that will occur once the new pcbs hit the street.

That's a good point.  With over 800 Dongle PCB's being requested I bet Mouser is going to get hit hard when the boards start showing up.  I just followed jnealand's lead and placed my Mouser order now to stay ahead of the curve while the parts are in stock.

-Mike
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, by mokeefe »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, »
Hi Folks

The wiki now has a v2 Manual for the Dongle

It stills needs to be fined tuned but hopefully it helps

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, »
Good job Rick, thanks for the update.  I would offer up the following suggestions. 

1. in step 2 it says to look for the small black dot on the clock chip.  In the order I just got from Mouser there is no black dot, but there is a small printed / engraved circle on the top of the chip.  I took that to be the pin 1 corner.

2.  I recommend that you clarify the capacitor change from 100uf to 22uf since the board indicates a 100uf and the package from Mouser will contain a 22uf.  With all the newbies and oldies getting boards I'm sure that I'm not the only one that will wonder about this discrepancy and will not have read the sticky.

3. In step 5 is a reference to attaching the sticker.  I would clarify that by noting that a sticker image can be downloaded and a label created locally.  I don't think we want any confusion that it may be available for purchase or coming in with the Mouser BOM or the case coop.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA