Author Topic: Smart String Calculator  (Read 2587 times)

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Smart String Calculator
« on: January 15, 2011, »
Late for posting this but might help users in the future. Please feel free to poke holes and make suggestions for improvements.

Note, the string length is your string length not necessarily the order length

Thanks
Mike M
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, by mmulvenna »
Thanks
Mike

Offline tng5737

Re: Smart String Calculator
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, »
I put in 126 nodes and 4 strings - it gave number of hubs as 0    If I understand it correctly you always need at least 1 hub

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I put in 126 nodes and 4 strings - it gave number of hubs as 0    If I understand it correctly you always need at least 1 hub

Easy to fix.   In the cell that calculates the # of hubs...   put in "=ROUNDUP(F6/16,0)"  .   That will fix that miscalculation.

One additional calculation that might be useful   "=ROUNDUP(((J9*B8)/12 +(B9*J8))*12,0)"    where B8 is the wattage per node, J9 is the number of nodes, B9 is the amperage per controller,  and J8 is the number of controllers (one controlle3r per string).   This will give you the total required wattage...    This is total wattage needed, not the wattage needed per each hub as that will depend on how you have the strings spread over all (assuming more than one)  hubs.     

Based on what smart people have written in this forum,  I'd suggest PSUs that are capable of 2x that requirement.   

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, »
I put in 126 nodes and 4 strings - it gave number of hubs as 0    If I understand it correctly you always need at least 1 hub

Easy to fix.   In the cell that calculates the # of hubs...   put in "=ROUNDUP(F6/16,0)"  .   That will fix that miscalculation.

One additional calculation that might be useful   "=ROUNDUP(((J9*B8)/12 +(B9*J8))*12,0)"    where B8 is the wattage per node, J9 is the number of nodes, B9 is the amperage per controller,  and J8 is the number of controllers (one controlle3r per string).   This will give you the total required wattage...    This is total wattage needed, not the wattage needed per each hub as that will depend on how you have the strings spread over all (assuming more than one)  hubs.    

Based on what smart people have written in this forum,  I'd suggest PSUs that are capable of 2x that requirement.  

Larry

Thanks for the corrections and additions, that's what so great about this forum. I have updated the rounding error.
I will make the suggested addition later today.

Thanks
Mike

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, »
I have uploaded a new zip file with these changes

Added dongle price to be include in totals
Added calcs for AMPS and WATTS
Added cells for number of Power supplies
Locked the  calculated cells....just unprotect the sheet if you want to change anything   no password required

Thanks for the suggestions. As always feel free to post corrections or suggestions for improvements.
Thanks
Mike

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, »
My Apologies, I did not see Trepidati0n' s thread until it was updated today.
My old eyes of 63 years did not see it earlier. Although it may not look like it I did build my spreadsheet from scratch and copied nothing from Trepidati0n's.  

It is much more detailed than mine if you are calculating for a tree as mine is more generic for just calculating a generic environment..

Again my sincere apologies to Trepidati0n :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Mike
Thanks
Mike

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, »
Bring out the pitchforks I say!  Oh wait....bring out the blinky!  There is always room for different ways to look at a problem.  :D
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, »
Man this could get quite expensive, couldn't it?
Will

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, »

Could get expensive.  I'm just using these calculators to figure out how many nights i'll be on the couch.   >.d9
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, »

Could get expensive.  I'm just using these calculators to figure out how many nights i'll be on the couch.   >.d9

Can we add THAT calculation to the spreadsheet??   <yk..
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, »

Can we add THAT calculation to the spreadsheet??   <yk..

<md..
Will