Author Topic: Freestyle vs Grinch+Ren-C  (Read 3055 times)

Offline soakes94

Freestyle vs Grinch+Ren-C
« on: January 23, 2011, »
Hey, first I will explain what current setup I have and what I want to do for 2011.

This time last year I etched my own grinch board and it worked fine, and then I realized I would be spending a fortune on cable as my grinch had to be as close to the computer as possible, so I add the Ren-C. I have 9 AC SSRs and & DC SSRs. Something I discovered was that trying to DIM an DC SSR with a grinch and ren-c and get a nice look was pretty much impossible as it flickered all over the place.

This year I'm planning on using 3 Ren-48LSD and some MR16's. However I have all these AC and DC SSR's doing nothing now, so my question is can I use a Freestyle to control both AC and DC and get a nice display with no flickering as it wasn't cheap to build all SSRs.

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Freestyle vs Grinch+Ren-C
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, »
Hi Steve

The Freestyle is a SSR controller just like a Grinch. The Freestyle is more advance with more channels (128) along with being dmx. The FS and the Grinch don't really know what the SSR is controlling voltage wise (AC/DC). It just sends the info to have the four channels on/off or dimming. I have used the FS and SSRs for the past 3 years with no flickering. So I don't know if its the RenC or something else causing the flickering (grinch, ssr, light strings). I just remembered something when RJ designed the Grinch it was just a on/off controller with no dimming so there could be your problem. With the FS you have a better chance of no flickering and still use your SSRs. Of course you will need a DMX dongle to send the info to the FS

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline soakes94

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, »
Ok thats great thanks, I cant remember why it flickered, it was just DC it had a problem with I just cant remember what part it was. I read it was linked with the Pic code on the Ren-c or something but I'm not sure. Could I build the Freestyle so it just has 64 channels? Since thats all the SSR's I have and if I was to add any more channels it would be through an express or Ren48LSD or MR16?

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, »
I believe it can be 1/2 populated with parts for 64 channels. Personally I would load the whole board and not worry about soldering it later

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline soakes94

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, »
I would never run 128 channels of it, as then I would need more cable to run to the external SSR's I would use an express instead or a 4 channel DMX dimmer. Do you know where I could get a PCB?

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, »
he is only supplier of all LYNX pcbs

Cheers

Rick R.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, by rrowan »

Offline soakes94

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, »
Ok thats great thanks :) just wondering if you know where I can find info on how to populate half the board? As I'm guessing some parts are still needed and some are not.

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, »
Take a look at the top picture in the assembly manual

The top 16 RJ-45 connectors and the 8 chips below those connectors you don't need to install

Rick R.