Author Topic: Replace the Prog/Oper jumper with a board mount switch?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline CaptKirk

Anyone think (and I mostly mean RJ  ;) )  that it would be OK to replace the Prog/Oper jumper with a small board mount spdt switch which looks like it is designed to replace headers and jumpers for just this sort of thing.  My only wonder if the PIC needs the time it normally would take to switch from PROG mode to OPER mode?  Would it work getting quickly switched between modes?

The switch looks like this

The pins are spaced eactly the same as a three pin header, and it is shorter than the header + jumper so there is no height issue.  I have a bunch of them (like 80) and thought this would be a good use for some. 

THX!!  Kirk
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline egenoup

Do you have a part number? vendor?
 >.d9

Charles S.

Offline CaptKirk

Secme 09 03201 02

Google pops up with a bunch of info (that is how I found the link to the image),  It is a really slick little thing that I think will keep me from losing a jumper when out in the yard doing any updates for firmware or light curves or ???.

Offline tbone321

That also looks like a great addition to the ver 2 Rx/Tx unit as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
I have had problems with jumpers jumping out of my hands and disappearing in the grass or flowerbeds or shop floor. This would solve that problem.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline egenoup

Newark has them in stock for 1.40 each.  The Newark part number is 52F518.

Offline CaptKirk

Hell, I'd be willing to share a bunch of the ones I have (first come first serve- you guys are great) if we could figure out a way to mail them cheap (like a self-addressed stamped enveloped of some sort mailed to me).  I am not sure if these would mail that way though- it might need a small bubble pack to do it.  Any ideas?  I would need to hang on to some (like 20) for my projects which would leave 60 up for grabs so we would need to limit requests to something reasonable so people have a chance to try these... 

Oh, and if RJ wants some, he gets first dibs for a handfull on my dime!!  I would LOVE to see these used on his future designs- they are really slick.

Kirk

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Do they fit? and do they switch the center pin to the outer or like some I looked at they switched an outer pin to other outer or the center?

That would not work on current designs and in fact bad things would happen as you would short power to ground in one position.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline CaptKirk

Well I have not soldered one in, but I have compared to a standard header and the pin spacing is identical and will plug into a connector that takes a standard header so I am positive it will go right into a three pin header spot.

I had not thought about pinout but I just ohmed one and the center pin IS switched, BUT the slider is oposite of the pins that are connected.  SO if you switch it to the right, the left and center pins are connected, and if you switch it to the left, the right and center pins are connected.  The outer pins do not connect in either switch position. The way to think of it is that where you see the gray part of the housing indicates what is selected.

So in the picture above, the switch is left so the right pin is connected to the center pin.

Only a little confusing, but still works.

Kirk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, by CaptKirk »

Offline egenoup

RJ,

I have looked at the datasheet for this switch and it does switch the middle pin to the outter pins.  They are marketed as a replacement for the jumper selectors.  Their posts are on 2.54 pitch centers.  They labeled the pins in non-standard way, but the middle pin is #1 and 2 and 3 are the outer posts.

Thanks,

Charles S.

Offline CaptKirk

Re: Replace the Prog/Oper jumper with a board mount switch?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, »
WHAT I SAID!!!

<rtt..

;)

So the big question is - "Does the PIC (RJ firmware) need a long delay switching from PROG mode to OPER mode?"  If not, then this is GTG.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, by CaptKirk »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, »
It does not care.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, »
Want some?  My treat!

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, »
I have not had a chance to build or program any Lynx hardware yet.  I do, however, have a few Dongles, 4 LE's, a few SS hubs, and a bunch of SS controllers "on order" in the current coops (yeah the soldering iron is going to get a workout this year). Can someone tell me if these switches would be applicable to any of that hardware too?  If so, then I may just find an online source and order a bunch.

-Mike

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, »
In theory, you could replace any three pin option headers (ones that take jumpers like the Program/operate option on the Aether) directly, and any two pin option headers by clipping off one pin (as long as there is space next to the header).  You would never have to worry about dropping a jumper in the lawn again.  The down side is that these could get switched by bumping them (like if a data cable was moved and brushed the switch) so it is not a perfect situation.  For example on my Aether, I put the switch in the Prog/Oper spot as that will get changed periodically, but the wireless/cable header I left as a jumper as the unit will be one or the other and not really switched.

Make sense??

Kirk