Author Topic: Cheap alternatives to CG-1500 ?  (Read 9318 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Cheap alternatives to CG-1500 ?
« on: January 25, 2011, »
Anyone have something which is truly a cheap alternative to using the (increasing hard to find an pricey) Keptel CG-1500 enclosures?

I know some folks throw controllers into containers, etc., but does anyone have some truly inexpensive and easy to do which works instead of using the 1500 enclosure? 

Would like to see what people have come up with, since I'm cheap ...
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptKirk

Re: Cheap alternatives to CG-1500 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, »
I am cheap as they come.  Hell, I've been known to use BOTH sides of toilet paper before flushing it.  :o   ;)  I started looking for a cheap alternative also, but nothing I looked at was as guaranteed to protect the money and time put into each LE.  Plus the whole shock hazzard was the key to push me over the edge and get the $10 cases.  That is really inexpensive compared with killing an LE or yourself or a child because you stuck a zip-lock bag over it and left it at that (hey, that might work AND make the house much quieter without kids anymore-  hmmm)  besides hospital visits with electrical burns is expensive- ask me how I know soemtime!!.

Anyway, seriously consider these cases as they are REALLY nice and will last forever (saving you more TIME) as far as I can see!

Kirk
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, »
Yeah I have to agree. For $10 I do not know of anything near as nice as them and this is why I patterned the pcb to screw directly into them. I think they are a bargain when you consider a project box for a dongle cost half as much as these and these are 20 times the size, have latching doors and rubber seals ect.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, »
The LOR cases are about $24 and although expensive work very well and a good value.  The only downfall is they fade a little over time.  The only down fall of the CG-1500 is it size.  Other than that it's very rugged, has a lock hole and solid hinges.

I have used other cases and nothing compares to these, besides a steel LOR1602W (but they can rust).  From what I can see they cost more but act as an investment.  My point being is people will pay a fair price for controllers that are professional built, have three wire dongle cords and a standard case they expect (CG-1500 for LE or standard LOR case for a LOR controller). 

Take the same high quality controller with a poor enclosure and poor cord setup and people shy away from it.

Just something I have learned over the past few years.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, »
taybrynn,

I recommend the CG-1500 enclosure, however, right now Home Depot has a showbox plus size see-thru storage box for $.99 that appears to be the right size for an LE to go into.  Not sure how one would orient it to keep the weather out (the lid does not seal) but the size and cost are right in the ballpark.  I picked up one for fun to see if I could figure out a good mounting method (and to store parts).  I think you would need to use it upside down but do something different with the lid so it does not gather water.

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, »
You could get some nylon stand-offs and create your own mounting bosses. See the end of this thread for an example of how I did the same for the SSR4:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If your material is too thin for threading the stand-offs, then just use nylon nuts on the back. A little dab of silicone to seal it and it might work for you. Assuming the lid doesn't leak.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, »
Assuming the lid doesn't leak.

Therein lies the rub...

Maybe some thin weather strip on the edge of the box would do it?  Getting the cords in and out would be a hassle.

Weather strip and run the box sideways?   Cut out one side (that is bottom with the box on its side)?  Hmmmm......

OR us the damn CG-1500 and be done!!   ;)

Kirk

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, »
For me, it is not worth spending a bunch of time trying to weatherproof a container when I can buy one for $10. I realize this is DIY, but I would rather spend the time building a new display element or sequencing.
Of course, this is only my opinion.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, »
Thanks all ... I agree ... and I've got 8 of the 1500 cases already, with LOR boards in them.

For $10, its worth it.

THe shipping hurts, because these are big.

What was I thinking?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, »
I recommend the CG-1500 enclosure, however, right now Home Depot has a showbox plus size see-thru storage box for $.99 that appears to be the right size for an LE to go into.

Do you have an SKU? Or at least can say in which department you bought it?

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, »
My Home Depot has all their storage boxes out in one area.  This one was $.99 had a brown lid and clear box and is about 12-14" wide, 7-8" tall and deep.  I will need to look for my receipt tonight for a SKU...  It is this one: 470036  Just picked up 12 more to store projects.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, by CaptKirk »

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, »
Anyone have something which is truly a cheap alternative to using the (increasing hard to find an pricey) Keptel CG-1500 enclosures?

I know some folks throw controllers into containers, etc., but does anyone have some truly inexpensive and easy to do which works instead of using the 1500 enclosure? 

Would like to see what people have come up with, since I'm cheap ...

Since the cheap CG-1500 are out of stock, I chose to use Rubbermaid Roughneck 3-Gallon Tote $5.27.

See my alternative.  I'm not saying this is the way to go, but if you want cheap and easy way to protect your project take a look at my alternative.  Sorry for blurry photo's, I think we were celebrating our first completed working Lynx Express with a bottle of wine.  I really didn't have any choice since the cheap CG-1500; what I wanted, was out of stock.

Material:
Non-Metallic 3/8 inch clamp connectors for NM Cable (5 per bag) for the (groups of 4) 16 channel leads and the 2 120 volt feeders. I don't have the price I just had a bunch on hand.
Crown Bolt Clear #10 Nylon Washer (5 Pieces per bag)  $0.61 each bag for protecting the PCB while using the nuts to tighten it down on the standoffs.
Crown Bolt Stainless Steel #10 - 24 Machine Screw Nut (4 Pieces) $.098 each bag (corrosion protection)
Crown Bolt Stainless Steel #10 - 24 x 1 in. Round Head Combo Drive Machine Screw (3 Pieces) 2 bags $.098 each (corrosion protection)
Watts 1/4 in. x 25 ft. Polyethylene Tubing $5.64 (enough to last for all your controllers and cut to make standoff from the bottom of Tote (cut as needed for the 1 Inch bolts to work)

Then what I did was use RTV silicone rubber on the bolt heads at the bottom of the container.  I applied a liberal amount on them, waited about 15 minutes then set the tote with the RTV on wax paper for nice water proof footing.  When it dried, the wax paper came off clean made really nice rubber feet for the tote.  I also used RTV on the 6  clamp connectors for NM Cable to seal everything except the lid.  The lid will have a piece of painted plywood on top to make a roof so the water will drip off like it would on your house with no gutters (not shown now, but will provide when I finish).

I think the whole cost per container (after the first one because of the Polyethylene Tubing $5.64) was close to $10 each (total of 3) and I didn't have to pay for shipping.  I know the CG-1500 is the better configuration, but when there is no stock available one has to come up with a substitute and I am very happy with the results.

I paid $1.14  for each 6 ft extension cord for the 16 channel leads, I mean, how cheap can you get and they will each easily handle 4 amps per channel.  Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, »
That is a fine looking case for the Lynx Joe.  I see you put TLC into making it.  Thank you for sharing your creation.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline barbotte

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, »
Yeah I have to agree. For $10 I do not know of anything near as nice as them and this is why I patterned the pcb to screw directly into them. I think they are a bargain when you consider a project box for a dongle cost half as much as these and these are 20 times the size, have latching doors and rubber seals ect.

RJ
hey RJ since you did such a good job making the lynx t board to fit those cg15-000 are you planing modified the board  as now the new cg 1500 does not match the hole pattern ?
thanks

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, »
Don't forget to call your local cable/phone company!!  "cheap-cheap-cheap!!!!"

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)