Author Topic: LE program display  (Read 4611 times)

Offline CaptKirk

LE program display
« on: January 26, 2011, »
RJ,

I was needing to productively use some time in an online meeting and got thinking about the LE display.  And I thought about the sometimes confusion about the representation of the letters PRG you used on the 7 segs.  I did a little research and I found that you did not use the usual segment pattern for the "R" and I also found a better "G" that is not like any other number.

From Wikipedia at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For the R, I like the left most image here:

For the G I like the left image:

Resulting in:

That could not be confused with anything number related!  No more questions as to what PA6 means!

What do you think?

Kirk
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline gforman

Re: LE program display
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, »
I have been a few meetings like that. <fp.

Glen
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, by gforman »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, »
Yeah so I could either go throttle some people within inches of their lives   <md.. , OR bug RJ with minutia.  RJ won!!   <yk..

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, »
Thanks but I think it is fine as it is.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, »

So what does PA6 stand for again??

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, »
it's the first part of...

Pennsylvania 6-5000     lol!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So what does PA6 stand for again??

Wow

Really??

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, »
<uncalled for rant removed by author>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, by CaptKirk »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, »
No not really- just making my point.  A parting shot as I give up after unsuccessfully attempting to influence what obviously is already a perfect design.  How could there possibly be ANY way to improve perfection.  I just need to stop trying and just use them as intended.  No need to try to improve confusing dispalys, or fix documentation that is incomplete and inaccurate, or to try to make it easier for the next guy to get over the steep learning curves because how could any of those sorts of issues exist.  Just saying.  Don't get me wrong I love the designs, really appreciate the hard work involved in making them avaialble- so much so I was offering my help. But I guess if you are not in the "inner circle" then don't even attempt to make suggestions because how could someone with over 30 years experience in the electronics and computer industries across a wide variety of product offerings and disciplines (including tech doc and customer support) possibly know anything about improving a product or increasing "user friendliness".  

And yes I *AM* having a bad day....   <md..  been working late working on Aethers and not getting enough sleep...  and can't type...

Do you feel better now? Get everything off of your chest?

First there is no inner circle. This site and all Lynx hardware is all RJ's baby. He designs what he wants and how he wants to use and then shares it with the members. Of course there is always something that can be added or changed if warrant and time available. So a proper way would be Hey RJ the next time you are working on the firmware for the LE can you take a look at my suggestion. You can't take the stance that RJ works for you and you start demanding things on him like he is your employee.

I can guarantee one thing. Any suggestion that might make sense to you but can cause a newbie or inexperience person a safety risk will not be done. (read your fuse change for the Aether)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, »
I was not going to respond to the post but changed my mind.

I neither believe the design is perfect nor do I believe it can not be improved this is you saying this. But lets look at your issue. We have many thousands of these out in the world in use. I can not get them out fast enough nor keep up with demand. And how many people have had issues with this ? 

I will let you guess.

DLA is founded on a few principals that I and a few members that founded it dreamed up and believe was a good way to open up DIY to everyone not just highly technical people.

One of these is that we would not have technical talk on the open forum so it appeared as easy as it really is to new users to build DIY instead of making them think they are stupid and can not do it.

That we not let people redesign existing items so that there is consistence in the builds and troubleshooting so all builders become experts to help others since they would be building identical items. There is really no reason for 5 different layouts for a 4 channel SSR on the forum and just causes more difficultly for the newer users.

That we let people design things the way they want and see what happens with no requirements as to what they must provide (source code, pcb layouts, schematics).

With that said you getting upset because I did not change an existing design of mine that has been out for years and has many thousands working fine the way they are, because a new user got board in a meeting and decided he did not like the way it looked, is something I will have to just live with.

As far as the "inner circle" I can only assume you mean the staff at DLA. You know those people that do all the work behind the scenes for no pay so members like you can benefit. The ones that help start DLA in some cases. Yes they are the inner circle along with all of the users that chip in and help to make it run. Every coop manager that sorts hundreds or thousands of parts so members can save money. The users that jump on the post of a user needing help with an issue or just reassuring them the correct way to put the part on. They are my inner circle.  The user that creates the next neat item and puts it out for all to use. They are my inner circle.

But none of them are asking me to change my stuff to make them happy and when they have in the past, If I did not they did not get upset and post similar post.

I understand you were trying to help. But everyone of the 2000 users on DLA have opinions, I can not try to please everyone but make myself happy and if a minor change early on in the life of a design that does not make me unhappy makes some happy I do it.  Otherwise I build them for me and offer them to others.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, »
Well said.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, »
 <res.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, »
 <res. to RJ and rrowen and the people making this site work.  I consider you all my friends and support in the only hobby my life affords.

from a non-inner circle.  All i can say is thank you and goodnight.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, by onesmoothhead »

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, »
Hey Kirk....  For some reason the episode title "I MUDD" comes to mind.  Not the episode just the title.

Sorry, I could not resist.......                           <la..

TREKSTER

"I, Mudd" is a second season episode of Star Trek: The Original Series first broadcast November 3, 1967
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, »
Hey Kirk

First I would like to say I am sorry you are haveing a bad day, and their is a inner circle and you are part of it all DLA members are. I thank you for all your suggestions and encourage you to keep thinking but remember RJ made this site so it is his baby and he allows us to join in. from what I have seen RJ and Staff have always looked at all suggestions and if warranted have used them. I am a 1 year newbie with no prior knowledge of any electronics or computer skills so I am no expert but with the help from this site I am learning and feel great about it. God Bless you and have a wonderful day, OK beam me up scotty :D
Jeff