Author Topic: Program to add Channels to Vixen for SS  (Read 5165 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Program to add Channels to Vixen for SS
« on: January 29, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

The other day I want to see how much fun it would be to create SS channels in Vixen. I quickly learn that it wasn't any fun. So then I try it with Excel while better still not fun. So my next step would be to write a program.

Program Features:
1 - Create a table for a whole SS universe (defaults to 4096 but can go up to 16384)
2 - Flexible Naming (SS Prefix, Object) of the channels
3 - Allow for the 3 know modes of the SSC (String, Pixel, Hybrid) and create the channel requirements for each mode
4 - Allow for multi SSCs
5 - Adjustable start channel and number of nodes needed
6 - Imports Vixen's channel list text file
7 - Creates new text file to be imported back into Vixen.

SSC Group Prefix defaults to SSC, can be changed to anything you want
Object Name needs to be something before the Go button will work. ie: Mega Tree, Arches, Roof, etc
The Description column in the table is editable

New feature under the Tool menu opens up a second window and does a simple Amps and Watts calculations

This is beta ver 0.2. The program is written with VB 2010 express so it does require .net 4

I added pictures below showing each mode and the output.

Currently I am working on an update to the program to work with the Profile. The advantage of the profile is I can preset the color for each RGB channel.

So once that is completed I'll add the program to the forum so you can give it a try.

My hope is we don't need this program and have better options from other programs. But I don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket and base my 2011 show on hope new sequencing software.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Program to add Channels to Vixen for SS
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, »
Excellent idea and execution...      I was dreading how to build even a measly 500 channel package, let alone something that could extend into the thousands.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, »
Very Cool Ricky!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, »
Nice Rick!   :)

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline bugless

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, »
Just wondering...

... one other function that is not fun in vixen is setting the channel output order, and this will get even unfunner with 4096+ channels!

Barring what updates that might be going into upcoming versions of vixen, is this something you could add to your program?

Bugless

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, »
Thanks guy. The program is coming along nicely

Bugless, Agree changing the channel order is not fun

The Profile xml file does contain the saved sort order. Basically it has a saved name and channels in number order.

How would you suggest doing the channel order?

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline bugless

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, »
I don't know much about VB 2010. 
Does it have, or can it use a database style file structure?
This will take some pretty flexible record creating/sorting abilities.

Also I don't suppose you have the file definitions that KC has used for the file do you?
It would be helpful to know what the final output has to look like in order to know how to
create the files to do the sorts.

Doug

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, »
Hi Doug,

I think you are over thinking this.

The profile is save as a xml file. So the layout is built into the file itself.

I guess my question was not really that clear.

Should there be a

1 - Sort by description
2 - Sort by color
3 - Sort by manually number each row (not too much fun but the most flexible way)

Then give it a saved name

Hope that makes more sense

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, »
Hi Rick-

Does the import process workaround the 4 digit channel issue RJ had on his test of vixen with more than 10K of SS channels?  Another member on that thread mentioned manually editing the XML file allows Vixen to work with more than 10K of channels.  Have you tried it with your program yet?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, »
Hi gophergrove,

Well there is a work around for the channel count. Create a new sequence and use the wizard. When you get to how many channels you can enter a number larger then 9999. It only shows 4 digits so I guess KC missed that one. To answer your question, Yes the channel input works just fine I did 16384 and it was a lot faster then the wizard way which takes a LOONG time. I didn't try the profile yet because that code is not written yet.

There is another problem with the number of channels and setting up the dongles.

Cheers

Rick R.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, by rrowan »

Offline pokey

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, »

Well this would have been a lot more usefull if I hadn't just discovered it, about 24 hours after I manually typed in 512 channels -- good thing I didn't do all 4096!!!!

Nicely done!   I look forward to trying it...

Offline bugless

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, »
I think you are over thinking this...
You're probably right...  :)

1 - Sort by description
2 - Sort by color
3 - Sort by manually number each row (not too much fun but the most flexible way)

I am thinking about the hybrid set up where you would have the first/last 512 channels of lynx controllers and the remainder as SS's (it's tough enough scrolling through 100 channels let alone 512).  Would it be an idea to have a sort that would bring the first three channels of each SS controller to the top of the list (and all the nodes at the bottom)?

Another helpful option would be to be able to sort ascending or descending.

And then another possible scenario that has been running through my brain...  ???
I can have a maximum of 128 lights per string, should I assign my channels that way even though at the moment I may only plan 60 lights?  If so, a sort that would drop all unassigned/disabled channels to the bottom might be something to think about.

Going from a maximum of 512 channels for a universe to 4096 and beyond is a big jump (a real exciting one at that!) But with that number of channels, I think that being able to slice and dice the order is going to be a very important factor in order to maintain a decent level of sanity.   :o

Doug

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

Just a update and later a video (as soon as vimeo converts it and allows viewing)

I have killed off the Channel Building project. I started a new project which I am calling VSB or Vixen Sequence Builder. Now before anyone gets all excited it does NOT sequence the channels to music. It really just creates and setups a new sequence for you. It does the SS channel setup along with setting the color for each channel. It sets up some basic configuration, total channels, event timing, Enttec DMX dongle. In the video I mention a couple of things I need to finish before I release the software. So I think in a day or so the program should be ready for use.

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

Just a update and later a video (as soon as vimeo converts it and allows viewing)

Cant wait to see it

I have killed off the Channel Building project. I started a new project which I am calling VSB or Vixen Sequence Builder. Now before anyone gets all excited it does NOT sequence the channels to music. It really just creates and setups a new sequence for you. It does the SS channel setup along with setting the color for each channel. It sets up some basic configuration, total channels, event timing, Enttec DMX dongle. In the video I mention a couple of things I need to finish before I release the software. So I think in a day or so the program should be ready for use.

Cheers

Rick R.

Is that a programmers day or so or a user's day or so? >.d9 :-\ :-X
Thanks
Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

Me again. I notice one issue with the video. The install will look slightly different when you do the first install. The setup program will do a check for the required files and download them from Microsoft if they are not on your computer. The setup program will also ask you if you want to install the program with an unknown developer.

Here is the promised Video for VSB

Cheers

Rick R.