Author Topic: Lead Time on Strings?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Corey872

Lead Time on Strings?
« on: January 29, 2011, »
Just watching the SSC coop climb above 3300 units (Yay! - and thanks to everyone involved for the current and upcoming hard work).   On the flip side, considering if all those units are filled to capacity, we'd be approaching half a million nodes - or even a fraction of full capacity would still lead to multiple hundreds of thousands of nodes.

Is there any current estimation on lead time to produce, ship and distribute this amount of nodes?  I'm sure most people are looking for Christmas 2011.  I was hoping to have at least some functionality for Halloween 2011.

Offline mnarel

Re: Lead Time on Strings?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, »
I'll second this question.  I'm looking at a project completion date of Oct 1 to be in time for the Halloween season as well.   Understanding as we all do that the administrators have real lives and jobs and aren't working DIY issues 24/7, we are still looking at large dollar value budgets and complex hardware and software planning that will require hundreds of hours of time.   I'd really hate to start committing all those resources without at least a warm fuzzy that we'll actually be able to have the blinkeys in time to make it all work.

Again... no disrespect, angst, or undue pressure aimed at the site folks whome we all love and cherish is intended  AT ALL.... but a general 'won't hold you to the exact dates' calendar of anticipated milestones for the whole SS hardware sourcing would really help my involuntary twitching.

Offline tbone321

Re: Lead Time on Strings?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, »
I guess that the real issue is that there is no way for them to know.  I would like to have some of the stuff prior to Halloween as well but if it doesn't happen, I will still survive.  There are just way to many variables for them to try and experience has shown it better not to.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving