Author Topic: LSP & Smart String Controllers  (Read 9268 times)

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Re: LSP & Smart String Controllers
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, »
I understand what you are saying so if the ssc is setup as HYBRID and then the hybrid channels are assigned to a layer(s) you can then do a chase as you are describing.

I am not sure how the software would determine on a collapsed controller if you wanted to treat the effect(s) as a node based or string based effect, I think that is why you would need to do the hybrid. When you do a on or fade on a collapsed controller it is actually do that effect on each node. I will forward to David at LSP to see if perhaps he can come up with anything.

Thanks for putting up with the antics of an old man as I finally understand what you are saying. <fp. <fp. <fp.
Thanks
Mike

Offline dmoore

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Again, I really think that if I apply an ON, or FADE-UP, or FADE-DOWN across four collapsed controllers ... I don't see why its different when I do a CHAS across those four collapsed controllers.  The reason I collapsed them is because I wanted a different level of control over them.

If I wanted the chase to just go into the first 4 channels of the first collapsed controller (as its doing), I would have expanded it and selected that range and done the chase there.  Since I collapsed it and selected the 4 collapsed controllers, I find it illogical that it would chase only into the First 4 channel of controller1, when doing the same on other effects would apply to all channels within all four collapsed controllers.

I just think if we are limited to object oriented operations on all four collapsed controllers, then don't let me do a chase on the four, and produce such illogical results.

It’s different because LSP isn’t design that way.  Now, what you are attempting to do would mostly work with layers and transitions.  Where you are at is right at the edge of why we need better object oriented sequencing – that chase doesn’t understand any channels outside of that controller.  So, the chase effect in LSP isn’t really OO.  I think you’ll find in LSP 2.0 this issue resolved and it will work as you’d expect.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, »
I think for what I was trying to do ... it could most easily be accomplished using the 3 hybrid RGB channels (instead of collapsed controllers), mainly because (as mentioned above) LSP handles CHASE and WAVE differently than the other effects.

So in some of the LSP videos, where the (selling) point is made that collapsing (the controller), then applying an effect across all channels (in the collapsed controller) at once ... is a great thing (which I agree) ... should have some asterisks (***) ... where *** = does not necessarily work the same way for CHASE, since it just generates (n) ON events, one per interval ... till the x-axis range selected is satisfied.   That what I really meant about inconsistent behavior.

Again, I think I'm probably just unhappy with the Chase more than I have a real issue here.  The way chase works across collapsed now seems consistent with how it works un-collapsed.  I would say that it seems like illogical results when done from a collapsed controller perspective and perhaps (the chase) could/should be disabled for use on a collapsed controller.

The wave effect actually works fairly well on the collapsed controllers, but the CHASE really doesn't, but thats just because of the simple way that is works in general.

The chase is really the most poorly implemented effect in LSP currently (**).  For software that is normally
far more advanced (in LSP) vs. the others ... the Chase is the one effect, which in its current form (1.8.x) is
actually significantly less advanced than how LOR S2 or Vixen does it.  LOR S2 finally got it right in its recent version of the chase, IMHO ... but thats just my opinion.  I also think Vixen has some great ways apply a chase which should also be considering for copying. 

**Ok, its just behind the undo/redo problem, in terms of severity., as the wild and limited undo, and lack of redo ... is the #1 worst LSP thing currently.

Thanks to all for explaining to me, and I believe I really am starting to understand LSP a lot better.  The object oriented stuff just blows me away.  The basic features, seem like they got fast-tracked and therefore lack the polish I would have expected.  Got those fixed, redo/undo, get rid of the lag, and stabilize ... and nothing will compare.

I'm being told the forthcoming version 2.x will be much better, so I'm hopeful.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, »
Dmoore, I agree ... my problem is that I want LSP to do an OO chase ... and it can't.

I also think when I select an effect range, that thats the exact range it should create the effect within, not just close.

I'm also looking for stability and refinement of core capabilities, not more ipad integration.

Any idea when the new version of LSP (2.x ?) might be coming out?

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, »
Dmoore, I agree ... my problem is that I want LSP to do an OO chase ... and it can't.

I also think when I select an effect range, that thats the exact range it should create the effect within, not just close.

I'm also looking for stability and refinement of core capabilities, not more ipad integration.

Any idea when the new version of LSP (2.x ?) might be coming out?

Hi,

As I don't use LOR or VIXEN, from a user standpoint can you be more detailed on what they can do in a chanse that LSP cant.

Can you elaborate on the "I also think when I select an effect range, that thats the exact range it should create the effect within, not just close." statement. Are you referring to just  creating and effect or using a pattern/copy paste?

Also I agree, with the undo/redo and that they need to be fixed.
Thanks
Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, »
I'll create a video of this and then you'll see what I'm talking about.

The difference is in the implementation of the chase.  The LOR implementation
is exact.  I've also tried it in Vixen and its also exact.  In LSP its a swag.