Author Topic: A few LSP questions  (Read 5284 times)

Offline LondoB5

Re: A few LSP questions
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, »
I think I'm basically sold on LSP.
I just want to make sure:

1. That I can use smartstrings with LSP
2. That I can run rainbow floods off of my MR-16s with LSP -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
3. That I can control servos (in particular, the controller by Frank Kostyun)  -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If all the answers are yes, then I'm totally sold and just need permission from "the boss" to make the purchase.
And yes, transitions is what sold me on the software as well...totally cool stuff.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I'm basically sold on LSP.
1. That I can use smartstrings with LSP
2. That I can run rainbow floods off of my MR-16s with LSP -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
3. That I can control servos (in particular, the controller by Frank Kostyun)  -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

1 - I seem to recall that the SmartString Protcol was in the last 1.8 version of LSP.  It also already supports E131, so I suspect that EtherDongle (?) would work also.
2 & 3 - Yes, LSP handles DMX output just fine using a variety of different output devices (dongles, E131).  You can also mix and match, so you could use a standard DMX dongle and a smartstring enabled dongle on the same PC outputting the two different protocols (yes, you could also break off the DMX out of the SS hub also).

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, »
I would try the free demo for a while first.

The LSP learning curve is fairly steep and the program has some 'features' you'll need
to experience first hand before deciding to buy ... and p.s. -- it requires a heck of a PC to run.

To me I own it and want to love it in the worst way, but even version 1.8 is fairly hard to love.

LSP version 2.x is promising a lot of huge improvements, which I sure hope materializes.

For me, I"m seeing taking my LOR sequences which are pretty well done and then importing them
into LSP and then doing the RGB stuff at the end in LSP, because I can't see doing an entire song in
LSP till the usability stuff gets worked out.

Like I said, the promised 2.x version could change all that and that would make me very happy.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, »
When you say "heck of a PC" what do you mean?
Obviously, I won't be able to scale up on the use of LSP until all of my hubs are built and attached to lights.
So, some extra info in this area would be appreciated.

I was going to stay with vixen, but when I saw the LSP transitions and easily importing video and modeling lights around it, well,  those were pretty much the features that did it for me.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, »
Well, I'd say try out the free trial of it and see how your machine does with it.

LSP does have some features which are 'to die for' ... mainly the RGB stuff and the
object oriented programming (on layers).  It also seems to have a fairly nice visualizer.

LSP just needs to improve its fundamentals and performance and stop adding gimmicky
new features.

I have a machine with a Quad Core + 4GB Window 7 ... and LSP is none too fast on it.
Overall, compared to using say LOR S2 ... LSP feels like a turtle by comparison.
It's also not written to take advantage of multiple CPU cores.

Also, the timing intervals make a huge performance difference, so avoid using small fixed intervals,
or it'll kill the performance.  Certain operations create tons of intervals and some effects are implemented
strangely, like the chase.

The UNDO is lacking and sometimes troublesome ... and there is no REDO

LSP 2.x is pending and supposedly a lot better. 

I can't wait, because I "NEED" and WANT  LSP to perform
for me in 2011, since its the only sequencer besides Vixen to support it all
and as you said, its got some killer transitions and RGB toys.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, »
Wait...are you saying that DURING a show the performance is lagging, or while CREATING a show the performance is lagging?

I can live with a slow computer while setting up a show. I will not put up with a show program that loses it's sync with the music or hangs or doesn't perform as intended.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, »
Wait...are you saying that DURING a show the performance is lagging, or while CREATING a show the performance is lagging?

I can live with a slow computer while setting up a show. I will not put up with a show program that loses it's sync with the music or hangs or doesn't perform as intended.

I run 33 sequences on and old dell desktop with windows XP. Each sequence had a corresponding video. My sequences use in the area of 400 channels using incans and LEDS. I realize that is a small channel count compared to the thousands that people are using with pixels.

I do the sequencing on a laptop running VISTA.  Dell inspiron 1420, 3gig ram, 32bit, 1.83 GHZ processors and have no slowness issues.

You will get all kinds of comments on LSP. I would suggest you DL it and give it a run to make up your own mind. 

I have used it for 2 years and am a very satisfied user

Best of luck
MIke
Thanks
Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, »
Just while creating the sequence.  I think playback is fine.

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, »
OK, so its only potentially when creating sequences.
Given the advantage that LSP has over the others, it looks to me like it is worth it.
I have D/L'ed LSP from the website. I've only gone thru a few tutorials.
I was waiting for my Lynx Expresses before giving the D/L a total workout.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, »
OK, so its only potentially when creating sequences.
Given the advantage that LSP has over the others, it looks to me like it is worth it.
I have D/L'ed LSP from the website. I've only gone thru a few tutorials.
I was waiting for my Lynx Expresses before giving the D/L a total workout.

Hi,

You dont have to have the actual hardware to start slearning and sequenceing with LSP

I think it would be worth your while to go through the tutorials that are in the TIPS and Tricks Section in the LSP forum. If I can answer any questions or be of any help feel free to ask. I visit this forum often, but not as often as the LSP forum. Questions on LSP will normally be answered more quickly on that forum.

Happy sequencing

Mike
Thanks
Mike

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, »
Will do, thanks Mike. I'm currently taking some time off of builds and xmas stuff to work on some more important things.
I'll be ready to hit it again in about 2 weeks.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, »
Hey, I'm in agreement with Mike.  Download it and start learning how to use it.  Its demo is fully functional except it can only control one controller, but you can still do all the sequencing you want and experiment with setting up smart strings, etc.

I've already bought LSP and want its usability to increase.  Does it work?  Yes ... Could it work better?  I think so.

Everyone I've talked to who used the 2.x beta says it will be just that.