Author Topic: A few LSP questions  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
A few LSP questions
« on: February 01, 2011, »
So last year I used Vixen and had no problems what so ever. I have been hearing some great things about LSP and had a few questions about it. Want to get basic questions answered before i try a demo.

1. Being a vixen user and switching to LSP am I going to have a hard time to the transition? I have heard that LSP is a more in depth program.

2. with LSP you can sequence video?

3. I have been doing some reading and it seems you can transfer vixen files to LSP. However, I have heard that sometimes the files wont work the same way. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance  ;D
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Re: A few LSP questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So last year I used Vixen and had no problems what so ever. I have been hearing some great things about LSP and had a few questions about it. Want to get basic questions answered before i try a demo.

1. Being a vixen user and switching to LSP am I going to have a hard time to the transition? I have heard that LSP is a more in depth program.

2. with LSP you can sequence video?

3. I have been doing some reading and it seems you can transfer vixen files to LSP. However, I have heard that sometimes the files wont work the same way. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance  ;D

1. Some different concepts to be sure.
2. Yes
3. Not sure what you me by "work the same way"
Thanks
Mike

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, »

Sorry. I have heard that the completed vixen sequences would be blank when transfered to LSP.
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, »

Sorry. I have heard that the completed vixen sequences would be blank when transfered to LSP.

If you would send me a vixen sequence I would be happy to try an import for you. I have imported a few of them and they seem to import fine. I am far from a vixen expert however.

e mail is bmulvenna at hotmail .com. If you decide to send the sequence be sure to send the song file also so we are working with the same thing.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, »
Trevor,
I built all of my sequences with Vixen last year. I thought Vixen was extremely easy to use
I downloaded the demo of LSP and had a very difficult time trying to use it. I was so used to using Vixen that I was unable to grasp the concepts of LSP. This is an old dog, new trick thing, not the software's fault.
I tried converting some of my Vixen sequences to LSP and never could get them converted. David said there was a problem with the conversion program and that it was going to be fixed, so I assume it has.
As soon as I have some spare time, I am going to try LSP again. Maybe they will come out with a LSP for dummies.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, »
Trevor,
I built all of my sequences with Vixen last year. I thought Vixen was extremely easy to use
I downloaded the demo of LSP and had a very difficult time trying to use it. I was so used to using Vixen that I was unable to grasp the concepts of LSP. This is an old dog, new trick thing, not the software's fault.
I tried converting some of my Vixen sequences to LSP and never could get them converted. David said there was a problem with the conversion program and that it was going to be fixed, so I assume it has.
As soon as I have some spare time, I am going to try LSP again. Maybe they will come out with a LSP for dummies.

John

John,

Do you know what version of LSP that was? Or at least a time frame and I can glean the version from that.

Do you have a sequence that you can send me so I can verify if it imports or not? I have imported some vixen sequences

Thanks
Mike
Thanks
Mike

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, »
Trevor,

John

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I am having the same problem..I watch tutorials, and look at it and am like HUH!?!?!?!? Im honestly thinking about not fixing whats not broken and sticking with vixen.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, »
Guy's,

Please send me a sequence so I can try it so I cant determine what is wrong.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, »
Mike,
I don't know which version. It think it was early fall of last year. I posted on the LSP forum when I was having the problem.
I don't have any sequences here at work. When I get a chance, I will send you a sequence from home.
I haven't given up on LSP, I still want to give it a fir shot.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, »
Mike,
I don't know which version. It think it was early fall of last year. I posted on the LSP forum when I was having the problem.
I don't have any sequences here at work. When I get a chance, I will send you a sequence from home.
I haven't given up on LSP, I still want to give it a fir shot.

John

Great, thanks John.

Lots of updates since then. When you send a sequence, can you send it with the mp3 and both attached and not attached to a vixen profile. For LSP to import it I seem to remember it needs to be attached to a profile.

Mike
Thanks
Mike

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, »

I messed with both Vixen and LSP.

LSP made sense to me, vixen did not.

Just my thoughts.

May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline barbotte

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, »
well last year it was my first year with animation ..and i learned with vixen then i purchase lsp and i could never succeed to make it work ..maybe because i was starting to be used to vixen that i could not get lsp to work ...who knows maybe i am a old dog that is too dummy to learn new trick but it made me very upset when i hear people making a song in like 2 hours with lsp when i spent 2 week and could not past the first 30 sec lol so i give up on it ... this year i am going from 75 channel to close to 200 so i really would like to learn again to make think easier/faster as 200 channel with basic light nothing fancy will be very challenging
cheer
 <md..

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, »
I'll make a disclaimer that I have been sitting at a very low channel count until now.

I like vixen in general when dealing with "strings" since the effects you are building visually correlate to the grid in a logical way.  Simple you learn very quickly to correlate visual pattern X to a certain "Squiggle" Y in vixen.  However, what I found out when starting to go node based is those squiggles become less and less understandable.  For example a mega tree in the traditional sense going in a circle is easy to visualize in vixen.  However, going top to bottom (unless you orrentate the channels that way), not so much.

I think it is to early to judge which tool will be better in the long run, but right now LSP with with "layers", makes doing a node based mega tree quite a bit easier.

One thing I've been wondering is if we can go "equation based" (like higher end tools do) for certain complex items (like node based mega trees).  As long as people could map their tree to a certain matrix, it would be possible to share equations where you plug in your variables to get certain effects.  The cool thing about starting with a mega tree, you can 3d to 2d map to a rectangle.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, »
Hi,

You can do the matrixes with LSP. You define the size of the matrix say 30 x 10. You can then populate the matrix grid in any fashion that you want.

It currently does not do equations like you are suggesting however.

Mike
Thanks
Mike

Offline dmoore

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, »
I think it is to early to judge which tool will be better in the long run, but right now LSP with with "layers", makes doing a node based mega tree quite a bit easier.

One thing I've been wondering is if we can go "equation based" (like higher end tools do) for certain complex items (like node based mega trees).  As long as people could map their tree to a certain matrix, it would be possible to share equations where you plug in your variables to get certain effects.  The cool thing about starting with a mega tree, you can 3d to 2d map to a rectangle.

If you'd like to see what is possible using transitions in LSP to sequence thousands of channels, take a look at the developer of LSP's personal display:

Watch how the matrix in the middle is “connected” to the RGB pixel verticals and RGB pixel fasica border – all done with transitions.  Doing that my hand is just about near impossible at the speeds shown in his videos.