Author Topic: DMX Servo  (Read 14573 times)

Offline soakes94

DMX Servo
« on: February 02, 2011, »
I want to be able to mount a laser to a Servo and control it with DMX so I can move the laser around and tie it in with the rest of my equipment. I have seen this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and I think its what I am after, I can etch the boards myself.

It seems quite easy to build but I was just looking for some guidance. Am I right in thinking that this has 2 channels for moving the servos and 3 for lights so maybe RGB? And also can I daisy chain (i think that's the term) so I can lets say have a MR16 then my servo controller and then another MR16? It says I can I think but I cant see where I would attach the output cable to? I think that's everything just now haha

Thanks Steve

Offline tbone321

Re: DMX Servo
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, »
The channel map states that it is set up for RGB and two servos (pan and tilt).  As for th connections, this board has no provision to mount any connector type.  It simply has the three connection points used for standard DMX.  It would be up to you to fashion your input and output connector types.  The good news is that you simply parrallel the input and output connectors and we don't use the ground so you would only be connecting the D+ and D- connections.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, »
Wow, more technology to get the creative juices flowing.

I wonder how fast you can move the servos with that hardware?  Were you hoping to move them fast enough to "draw" patterns with the laser?  That same site has plans for a DMX 2 axis stepper motor controller.  That might be another option.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, »
There is no reason that the servo's wouldn't move at their max speed so how fast they move simply depends on the servo and how heavily it is loaded down.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline soakes94

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, »
I would probably start with just servo's just to get the hang of things and with the stepper motors it could be a bit more interesting trying to design pictures using LSP or vixen haha.

Could I connect my laser to the board using the RGB connectors? and just to make sure I understand this right, if I wanted to add another DMX device to this board I would just connect the DMX in and out together and then to the DMX connection on the board?

Thanks for your help :)

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, »
Maybe some laser guys with more experience can chime in. But i believe that laser scanners are rated in points per second at a certain scan angle. 15K to 30K points per second come to mind. I don't think 44hz is going to cut it for spelling out words or drawing figures. You might get some interesting patterns however.

Ken

Offline dmoore

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, »
If you are looking for DMX controlled lasers:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=DMX+Laser&catId=0  (you'll need to remove the "#" in the link...for some reason it keeps getting chopped off)

I used a Red/Green laser in my show and pointed it at the large tree in my yard and it looked great.  I had several questions of how I managed to get thousand of christmas lights to all move like that.  :)

The thing to keep in mind with lasers is the surface you will be shooting them onto.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, by dmoore »

Offline soakes94

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, »
I'm not looking for anything to fancy I don't think, the main reason I think I am doing this is more because I think it would be cool, I don't know if I would use it in my display and if I didn't they wouldn't do to much. I think its more for fun than anything.

Steve

Offline soakes94

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, »
Can someone help me with the parts I need since the website doesn't include a BOM for mouser. I need
ATmega8515-16PU
75176B
rectifier (round)
LED 5mm red
LED 5mm green
10k resistor
390 Ohm resistor
27pF
100nF
100µF
DIP-Switch (10)
8MHz (HC49)
pin header (single)

I can sort the leds and resistors fine its the other parts I need help with, also I can get the ATmega8515-16PU fine.

Also how do I program the ATmega8515-16PU? Can I use a pickit? Or do I need something else? I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff, I can build the boards following instructions and having a nice list of parts but when it comes to working out parts I just go blank.

Thanks Steve

Offline soakes94

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, »
I've found this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm a bit confused of how I build this, and am I right in thinking I can use this to program the chip with the firmware?

Steve

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, »
You can talk to fkostyun. He built a servo based on the design you are linking too

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've found this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm a bit confused of how I build this, and am I right in thinking I can use this to program the chip with the firmware?

Steve

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, »
Frank is sending me a parts list as soon as he comes across it.  Also I bought the last 2 PCBs that he had but he can order more if there is an interest.
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, »
Frank is sending me a parts list as soon as he comes across it.  Also I bought the last 2 PCBs that he had but he can order more if there is an interest.

If Frank get's a BOM put together and is willing to order more of these I would be interested.  I really thought about getting those last two but it's good to see another DLA member got them.

Alan T

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, »
He said he would if enough people are interested.  I already asked him to get quotes.  Is there a way to run a want list to see how many on here would be interested?
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline soakes94

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, »
I was thinking about getting the boards but I'm in the UK and thought by the time I pay for postage and the boards and waiting for them to arrive I could have etched them myself and then it means I would feel like I have acheived more haha. I'm really just after what parts I need. And also I'm just wondering how many servos can I run per board? I think its either 4 or 2 but I'm not sure.

Thanks Steve