Author Topic: DMX Servo  (Read 14576 times)

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

Re: DMX Servo
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login      4 servo + 4 out
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline soakes94

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, »
Thats great thanks :) whats output 5 - 8 for? It would be good if I could use them to control lasers as that's what I plan to move around with the servos and then I have a completely single unit system if that makes sense.

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, »
I can't see why not, though I haven't tried.
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline soakes94

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, »
My plan  is to use 2 of these servos You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login one for pan and one for tilt and then attach a red laser with a diffraction grating and maybe another laser with a green laser and diffraction grating or I might attach the green laser to another 2 servos.

Would those servos be suitable for this kind of thing? And also does the speed of the servo depend on the input voltage because finding a 8.4V power supply could be challenging haha.

If its possible I would plan to run the 4 servos from the one board plus the lasers so I can have it all in one contained unit keeping it simple and tidy.

Steve

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He said he would if enough people are interested.  I already asked him to get quotes.  Is there a way to run a want list to see how many on here would be interested?

I'd probably be interested 1 or 2 boards, if you're keeping track.  Let us know what you hear back from Frank.

-Mike

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, »
Those servos run 3.5 - 8.4 v    According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login AC1&2 have to be connected with a power supply of 9-12V ac or dc. 3-5W should be sufficient..  The parts around IC3 are responsable for an exact Vcc of 5.0Vdc (which is within your range)

I think for your project you need to follow this:
channel map for moving lights devices
DMX     function    output pin
ch1    Servo1 (Tilt)    OUT1 (PA0)
ch2    Servo2 (Pan)    OUT2 (PA1)
ch3    Strobe    
ch4    PWM1 (red)    OUT5 (PA4)
ch5    PWM2(green)    OUT6 (PA5)
ch6    PWM3 (blue)    OUT7 (PA6)
ch7    PWM4    OUT8 (PA7)

Offline soakes94

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, »
So if I connect 12V DC to the board will I be able to run the board plus servos? I do I need a separate power supply for the servos as they can't run on 12V? And from what you say I can only run one setup (2 servos and 2 lasers) per board? Or could I run 4 servos (2 pan, 2 tilt and 4 lasers) per board? Thanks for all your help everyone :) this is a great place

Offline soakes94

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, »
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to program the pic, 3 arrived today I don't think I will program them today or anytime soon since I don't have the other parts yet. I have a computer with both a parallel and serial port and I know you can program the pic with either of these ports its just how is where I am stuck at haha.

Steve

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This seems pretty thorough it's for a 2 not sure just what the differences might be between 2 and 3 but a start none the less.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to program the pic, 3 arrived today I don't think I will program them today or anytime soon since I don't have the other parts yet. I have a computer with both a parallel and serial port and I know you can program the pic with either of these ports its just how is where I am stuck at haha.

Steve

What exactly are you trying to program?  Is it the ATMega chip that is used in the henne (or fkostyun version) board? If so, that is not a PIC and can't be programmed with the PICKIT's (unless I'm totally missing something).  I thought I saw info on one of the sites for those servo boards that talks about how to program the ATMega (via a PC printer port I believe).

Yeah, here's the link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, by mokeefe »

Offline soakes94

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, »
Yeah its the ATMega chip, I think in my post I made it seem like i said pickit 3 when i said "how to program the pic, 3 arrived today" where as I probably should have said 3 of the ATMega's arrived today haha.

I've seen I can use the parallel port on my computer, I've looked over it again and I think I've worked it out the only think I'm not sure about is pins 12,11,2,3 am I right in thinking I have to join pins 2 and 12 together and pins 3 and 11 together? Everything else seemed to make sense and I hope to order the parts for the rest of the board soon so I can start playing around.

Steve

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, »
Yeah, PIC is family of microcontrollers made by Microchip Technology -- no relation to the ATMega chip used in this board.

Looking at the document, you are correct that 2 and 12 are tied together as are pins 3 and 11 on the LPT port (pins 24 and 25 are tied together too, in case you didn't notice that).

-Mike

Offline soakes94

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, »
Oh yeah haha thanks :)

Steve

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, »
Actually I've seen a tool that can allow the PICkit 2 to program AVR chips - not sure about the ATMega specifically but maybe... Look for PK2AVRISP. I haven't used it myself as I have a separate AVR programmer but I've seen posts where folks claim it works.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, »
I was wondering if anyone had a parts list for the servo board featured here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I already have the ATmega8515-16PU so I would just be looking for the other parts and since I'm not skilled in that area I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Steve