Author Topic: DMX Servo  (Read 14574 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: DMX Servo
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, »
If you want to do that you could probably have an easier time with a pair of servo's.  Using stepper motors can be quite complicated.  Remember that a stepper motor is just that, a motor.  You would have to build the control surfaces yourself for the motor to connect to the device that you want it to move.  You would also have to determine your ratio's to determine how many steps you would need to move the device to the proper positions.  You also need to determine if this controller is using an open or closed control method.  If it is open (and I suspect that it is) then the motor doesn't know or care were it is when you power it up and you would have to come up with a method to get it to a start position for your position commands to do what you want them to do.  The real advantage to stepper motors is that they are not limited to 180 degre travel like most servo's but that advantage comes at a cost.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline soakes94

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, »
Could I create a liquid sky effect with a servo? I wasn't sure if they would move fast enough to create that effect? I was just thinking that if I'm spending a lot to create this laser I want to be able to do some cool stuff with it haha.

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, »
I am not much into lasers so I don't know what a liquid sky is.  If you want to just spin the mirror then I would use a standard brushless motor to do that and use servo's to position the laser on the mirror.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline soakes94

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, »
That could work maybe, my problem is that to create a white laser you need a red, green and blue/violet laser and then using special parts you mix the colors, so I would have to be able to move the whole setup around I would think, I'm trying to think of a way just to move the laser maybe using a mirror but I'm not sure yet :(

Thanks for all your advice and hint and tips, its really appreciated :)

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, »
Checked Frank's site today it seems he has more in.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, »
Frank never got back to me on the updated BOM after I received a couple of boards from him, so I just went with the BOM from the website. I'll let you know how it works out when I get the parts from mouser. The ATMega doesn't ship until the 23rd.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Frank is sending me a parts list as soon as he comes across it.  Also I bought the last 2 PCBs that he had but he can order more if there is an interest.

If Frank get's a BOM put together and is willing to order more of these I would be interested.  I really thought about getting those last two but it's good to see another DLA member got them.

Alan T

I got the parts list from Frank last year. Here is a link to the mouser parts that I ordered. I have the board and parts but have not yet built it.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks
Mike

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, »
It appears that this DMX servo solution is not always readily available. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to have our own DMX servo controller here at DLA? I've been giving it some thought and could put something together without too much trouble. Given a simple design, it would be really inexpensive too. I have a basement full of R/C equipment, so I have plenty of servos to play with. I was thinking I'd like to try some servo-driven animation myself anyway.

Are there many DIY servo controllers available? Just doing a quick google, the only DIY solution I see is the one discussed in this topic. It might be more convenient to have our own design so that we can get the coop managers to run a board coop when needed.

What do you think?

Offline gforman

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, »
I think this is a great Idea.

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, »
You got my vote!  I don't know anything about development, but would be glad to help in any way possible! 

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, »
In addition to driving servos, it should also drive at least two RGB LEDs (for eyes or prop lighting).  I'd just add a TLC5916 to the board.
/mike

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2011, »
New topic started on servo controller design. Let's allow this thread to get back to the original topic.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline soakes94

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2011, »
Just about to place my mouser order and I have noticed that this BOM You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login doesnt contain things like the rectifier as this BOM was for franks board which even though is based on this board You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login seems to have some different parts and as I'm etching the board from hoelscher I need the parts to match up, could someone help me here, I'm fine working out the basic parts like the switches and IC sockets its the resistors and caps and things like that I need help with.

Steve

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2011, »
[Edited, since I'm not paying attention to which thread I'm in.  Sorry.]

/mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, by n1ist »

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2011, »
That BOM is not for the board that we are discussing here (I haven't even drawn up the schematic yet).

/mike

Actually that BOM IS for the board we are discussing here.  This thread was started to discuss the hendrik and/or Kostyun DMX servo board.  The potential DLA version of a servo board that you and others are working on is being discussed in a separate thread (although it was briefly alluded to in this thread).  Don't want to confuse people even more.

-Mike