Author Topic: Animated Fountains?  (Read 7918 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Animated Fountains?
« on: February 02, 2011, »
Hey guys,
I have seen videos of people who have used water fountains in their displays and I think they look really cool. Obviously I cannot have them for my Christmas display because it get cold here in Indiana, but I was thinking about maybe doing something with some fountains in my 4th of July display. I am wondering if anyone knew of some water fountains that would work well with Lynx controllers or if there was a way to use regular water pumps to get the same effect. I have looked at some pumps online, but they are completely out of my price range. I'm just looking to see if it is possible and affordable for me right now, nothing concrete.

So if you have and idea, please share them with me.

Here is a video of someone who had some what I am kinda looking for. I don't know who they are or I would ask them, but their display has the fountains that I am talking about.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: Animated Fountains?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, »
Those are done by a person that goes by OrangeDog (i think) in Modesto CA.

There web site is LightsOfmodesto  you should be able to contact them there.

I know he uses LOR. I think the fountains were store bought, but not sure.

There are some others around that are DIY that use PVC and compressed air.

-Jeff

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, »
Google is your friend!

Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, »
Wow, that guys animation is really good. Very tight with the music and active. I like it.

The fountains don't stand out much at all. In fact it was hard to see them at all in the video I watched. What's the attraction?

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, »
I have googled the heck out of this and I cannot seem to find anything on how to build one of these.  Any thoughts?
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, »
I can think of a few ways to do this but what kind of budjet are you talking about and how big do you want to make it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, »
The fountains may play better in person than they do on video.  As cool as it would be to play around with that technology, the sub-freezing temps up here in NH at Christmas time pretty much rule them out for me.  I do like his animated fireworks displays. Might have to steal, I mean borrow, that idea.

BTW you might want to connect with the new user, May, who posted in this introduction thread :

Sounds like May is connected with the company that makes the dancing fountains in the video in that thread. They don't seem like DIY technology, though.

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, by mokeefe »

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, »
I have been to his website a couple times, but all I could find was that he had the fountains, not where he got them or how he made them, but I'll keep looking. I don't need anything thats too big, just something that will shoot a jet of water 5 or 6 feet into the air. I was think I could try building them myself by using an RGB light(with a water tight enclosure) and a water pump? Not sure about it though. I saw that he used LOR, and my thought was, if he ran these from his LOR AC or DC controllers, why can't I run them from my DIY controllers?
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, »
Looks like there is a contact link on his website.  Have you tried asking him directly?  If you uncover any additional info be sure to post it here.  I'd certainly be interested in the details even if I can't actually use them in my display.

-Mike

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, »
I can think of a few ways to do this but what kind of budjet are you talking about and how big do you want to make it?

I wouldn't say my budget is huge.  I live in the south so super cold temps aren't a problem.  I just thought that somthing small like water shooting 5-10 feet high would be cool.
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, »
Thats what I would like to do too, but like I said, I live in Indiana, so Christmas would be a problem for the fountians.

I emailed him earlier today and I am waiting on a reply. I'll post any information I find out.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, »
Thanks for giving him a holler.  From futher inspection of the video it looks like the water is just going into the yard.  I wonder if it would be possible to use some sort of pool to catch it so it is not a muddy mess...
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, »
Thanks for giving him a holler.  From futher inspection of the video it looks like the water is just going into the yard.  I wonder if it would be possible to use some sort of pool to catch it so it is not a muddy mess...

I would bet you probably could. Or you could put it in the garden or next to your flower bet and it would water your plants for you too lol  >.d9
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, »
for us cold weather folks...

If the water had some sort of safe non-freeze in the liquid  (i dont want to say antifreeze, cause people immediately think of car liquids that are very harmful, and might even violate some sort of epa law used inthis manner.) but some other liquid that could be catchable in a basin, but still wouldnt harm people that might want to run up and touch it, or the plants nearby.

I was thinking salt water, but that still freezes at some point, and would kill the grass.

thoughts?

(EDIT: or even that electrical cable that warms water pipes?) i forget what it's called. I used to see it all the time near horse barns for the water spout
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, »
for us cold weather folks...

If the water had some sort of safe non-freeze in the liquid  (i dont want to say antifreeze, cause people immediately think of car liquids that are very harmful, and might even violate some sort of epa law used inthis manner.) but some other liquid that could be catchable in a basin, but still wouldnt harm people that might want to run up and touch it, or the plants nearby.

I was thinking salt water, but that still freezes at some point, and would kill the grass.

thoughts?

(EDIT: or even that electrical cable that warms water pipes?) i forget what it's called. I used to see it all the time near horse barns for the water spout

I would have to do some research for some kind of non-freezing liquid that wouldn't harm people, animals, or the plants. I'm not sure if a heated tape would work or not. We have some for your water spout in the barn, but we really only use it after the water turns to ice. I know there are heated buckets that keep water from freezing, we have some in our horses' stalls. I bet they would work pretty for something like this, they wouldn't look real pretty, but they would work. The only thing I can think that could go wrong is if it get windy and the wind causes the water to land on the ground instead of in the buckets. Hmm....
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights