Author Topic: Bare bones computer specs  (Read 2889 times)

Offline zwiller

Bare bones computer specs
« on: February 03, 2011, »
Can anyone point me to minimum specs for Vixen on a bare bones show machine?  I have some old PC's and would rather not use my laptop this year.  I am not a true PC geek with linux and such.  Any words of wisdom from pc techie blinkers welcome!

THANKS!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline ratroder

Re: Bare bones computer specs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, »
From what I would imagine, it is not much to speak of. I am not particularly sure what operating system vixen will run on but I would imagine that the minim is win xp. And anything else is fine. You are just going to have to make sure that your dongle will install onto the machine. And You might need USB 2.0, I don't know if a slower USB (1.0) will work or if it will effect you show at all.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, »
i went to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i clicked on community wiki.

For Vixen, i found this...

Processor - 486 or greater
Memory - 128MB or greater
Hard Drive - 2GB or greater
OS - Windows 98 or newer with the Microsoft .NET Framework installed.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, »
I would concur.  I think Vixen and LOR run on any semi-modern machine.  Even my old P1 laptop (IBM T40) runs LOR just fine. 

Now if your thinking of running LSP, then that requires a really fast machine.  On my quad-core, its really not enough.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, »
I must also put  that those were the "minimum" requirements as stated by a wiki that's linked from the website's page as it's wiki.

I'm not entirely sure the minimum could handle multiple of thousands of channels running. so, your mileage may vary.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, »
.NET Framework is going to be the limiting factor for a baseline machine. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login shows: 1Ghz processor, 512 MB RAM and 600 MB disc space. This is for version 4.0 of the runtime. What .NET runtime version Vixen use? If it is 2.0-3.5 it may require less hardware.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, »
Unless you are planning on a very small layout and short shows then I would not pay much attention to those minimums.  When Vixen and others were written, channel counts were much lower than they will be in the near future.  A person running 64 channels was getting big and over 100 was massive for the average Joe.  Now and with RGB nodes and Smart Strings showing up for the DIY'er this channel count can go well over 1000!  Even with Vixen, this will require much more than the min requirements suggested.  I believe that the newer software on the way that will be able sequence and control these massive number of channels will be much more processor based and require a machine that has some power.  I understand that par of DIY is to bring costs down but if you want the mega-channel multi-thousand dollar display then you wil need a machine capable of dealing with it and the old 486 in the corner will simply not be able to do it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, »
Thanks for all the info.  I looked all over at vixenlights and gave up...  That is exactly what I wanted!  

The pc I have in mind is old but not a dinosaur.  It still specs out ok although it is Win98.  The .NET minimum specs appear to be a good baseline.  I am probably going to erase the hard drive and reinstall OS, .Net, vixen, etc.

I am not on the bleeding edge of this blinky thing.  You guys and your 1000 channels!  I am happy to stay under 100 channels for a while and tinker with some SS this year.  I agree you'll need processing power for the rgb thing, but I will wait patiently to learn vixen 3.0 if it is launched.  
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, »
I am not on the bleeding edge of this blinky thing.  You guys and your 1000 channels!  I am happy to stay under 100 channels for a while and tinker with some SS this year.  I agree you'll need processing power for the rgb thing, but I will wait patiently to learn vixen 3.0 if it is launched.  

It won't take too much tinkering before you're above the 100 channel level.  At 3 channels per pixel (assuming you're not running in string mode), it only takes 34 pixels to surpass that mark.  That will likely get you half a Smart String. Just saying, it's going to be hard to keep channel counts low and do much with pixel level Smart Strings.

-Mike

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, »
Instead of looking for minimum specs think about this.  I recently purchased a used off lease corporate Dell with dual core cpu, 2GB RAM, 500Gb hard disk and with a real XP Pro license for $200.  XP Pro by itself (if you can find it anymore) would cost you at least $140 for a new OEM version.  That is way beyond minimum specs and not much money compared to what you will be spending on lights and controllers.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, »
Holy smokes Jim,

What truck did THAT equipment fall off of??   ;D  Did they also have car radios with wires cut reallly short also?  ;)

That is a HECK of a good deal and sounds ideal for a show system!  Wow, congrats on that find.

Kirk

Modified for language RJ
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, by RJ »
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline lightguy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, »
Here is another deal on a PC which would probably run blinky blinky ok, its just $99 with free shipping!!

Lightguy

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, »
A bunch of people must have flooded the website because it is sold out. lol  <fp.
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"