Author Topic: Laser Tunnel  (Read 2194 times)

Offline soakes94

Laser Tunnel
« on: February 14, 2011, »
Hey :) I think I might use some lasers in my show depending on how I get on with proto-typing things. I want to create a laser tunnel like this video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Because I didn't have much of the stuff to hand I improvised haha. I mounted a CD on a computer fan since I didnt have a small mirror and it ended up slightly unlevel because of the glue. I only had a laser that was marked as <1mw powerful in red.

I got a circle on my ceiling which I was pleased with but it wasn't a very big circle, does anyone have any ideas what would cause this? Is it my stand in "mirror" or my weak laser? It seems to work but just small. So any ideas would be great since I want to do this with my display.

Thanks Steve :)

Offline tng5737

Re: Laser Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, »
Some years ago we used to glue a small mirror onto the side of a speaker which would relfect the light into patterns in accordance with the music playing thru the speaker.  Similar idea, but no rotating parts and more varied light pattern.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, »
You need to have your reflective surface at more of an angle.  A front surface mirror will give the best results, check out this like to the instructable site: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  or more complex You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for the effect to show up you will need some time of fog (such as a fog machine) present.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, »
Steve;

Here is a link to a few DIY videos on laser effects. The site has many other cool tips as well.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this helps
Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, »
things to watch for...

it might not be much of an issue with small powered lasers, but can be a problem as the lasers get bigger.

be careful where you're aiming the laser...  even if it's properly aimed, sometimes it can get misaligned (weather, kids running up to it. etc...)

It might be enough of a distraction, it somehow it gets pointed into the street as a car goes by.
It might be an issue if someone decides to look into it. (people are curious, or even out looking for potential lawsuits)
If it points into the sky, and a pilot happens to see it, He's required to report it to FAA  (which have been looking into an ever increasing number of incidents of lasers pointed at aircraft already.)

it sounds like a cool idea, but please be careful.  even small lasers come with warnings.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline soakes94

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, »
Thanks for all the links and information, it looks like my attempt at trying to get the reflective surface as flat as possible actually caused me the problem haha.

Steve