Author Topic: Smart String COOP info  (Read 20901 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Smart String COOP info
« on: February 19, 2011, »
I know many of you have been patiently waiting for the beginning of the Smart String Coop. I also have been in a hurry to get it started.

This is where we stand:

I worked with the rep and manufacture to get some stable specs set and agreed to so we can get the same items over and over.

Ordering from China you do not always get the same thing so I wanted to make sure you got what you needed without any surprises.

This part has been completed. I have agreed to specs and even had them change some wiring colors as all items did not use the same color for the same thing. On some items the ground was green, on other it was blue and green was the data, ect. They have agreed to provide us with a consistent color scheme. The pixel node strings units would have required extra waterproofing to insure all of them did not get any water in them. I asked them to do something about this. With all the diy'ers pushing for better sealing the company that makes them, changed their molding to completely seal the back of the lights.

This then made the lights closer together so I had them add to it to bring it back to the 3.5" spacing they were before.

I had them add 2 ft of lead on the front end of the strings to give us plenty of room from the SSC to the first light.

That's the lights lets talk licensing:

I also signed an NDA agreement with Philips early on in the process and began the process to be licensed to sell them under agreement with them. This went very well, if not  too slow, up until about a week ago. The Lawyer here in the states and  I got to a usable agreement and It was just a matter of the Lawyer in the Netherlands signing off on it. This is where it became a problem. We had conference calls and basically this Lawyer wanted me to pay royalties for anything that might ever come close to being hooked to a Smart String including the ATX power supply you would purchase to power you units.

It ended with them going to work it out and let me know this week. I let them know I would be moving ahead and not holding my users up any longer so they had till the weekend. Yesterday I received a email saying they wanted to talk some more next week .

At this point I feel it best we just move ahead by having you purchase them yourself. This is no worst than everyone else is doing. It will be far less work for Dad and I and in the end with the additional add on fees they were talking about adding since I would not license the whole Lynx line, I believe you would not have saved much in the long run. We would be charged More licensing fees than normal and the custom duties would have pushed up well beyond the $.63 I had worked up based on the licensing and duties. I based it on the normal fees from philip's not the newer 2 to 3 times that was being mention in our last call.

I spoke with the rep and he will be getting you the best shipping cost he can since they want our business and they know the order will be large. I made sure they understand we will be a repeat customer and so they need to take care of you or I will find another factory to make them for us. I believe you will be treated well. I myself will be ordering stuff just as you will for my show.

To start off I will ask Bill to add the links to order from, to his payment request pm for the members of the Smart String Controller coop since they are the people that need them.  

Once everyone on the coop has had time to order I will post the links for everyone for future purchases since I will not be under the licensing I can post it with no issues to me.    

Here is the price breakdown :

Pictures will be on the order link for you to look at before you place your order. You can also review the video where I was demoing them.

Item 1:

Pixel Strings - ~2 foot of leader added to the front, back sealed completely, 20 awg wire, 12v, 10cm center to center of lights:

25 node string   =  $14.70
50 node string   =  $29.40
75 node string   =  $44.20
100 node string = $58.90
128 node string = $75.40

Item 2:

( Think LOR CCR but each led is controllable)

Flexible led strip waterproof, 12v, ~2 ft lead of 20 awg wire on it for the SSC to hook to color consistent with other items, 4 Meters long with 120 nodes of led's to be compatible with SSC, can be cut to pieces and wire added every ~4 inches.

$57  each

Item 3:

Plastic rectangular pixel module with 3 5050 RGB led's controllable by SSC, 3inch long by 5/8" high by 3/8" thick with a screw hole on each end.

$1 each

Item 4:

Metal backed 1 3/8" square pixel module with 3 5050 RGB controllable by SSC, Hole in the center and on two sides for mounting.

$1.10 each

item 5:

1 meter long Ridged led strip, like the flexible strip but mounted on aluminum channel, 30 led's per meter comes with three pin watertight connectors attached.

$13.50 each  

item 6:

Pair of cable (1male / 1 female) ends to match the ridge strip if you want to use the ends on it to connect them.

$.84 each pair

item 7:

100 meter Roll of three conductor 20 awg cable same as used on these products like the Strings, modules, ect.  

$28 each roll   

RJ
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline travailen

Re: Smart String COOP info
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, »
RJ,
Thank you for the concise and informative explanation. Thanks for all the up front work you have done to get things this far. Thanks to you we have viable well thought out lights available at a reasonable cost. Speaking for myself, after that explanation, I am looking forward to putting those LEDs to work. Great job.  <res.

Thanks,
Rick S

I think the name of this group should be THE DiyLightAnimation

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, »
RJ,

Thank you for the explanation and all of the work and time you've put into the development of the smart strings.  Your work has made it possible for the average, non technical person to do some awesome things.  I can't wait to play with these!

Have a great weekend,

Josh

Offline jstjohnz

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, »
I thought these pixels weren't going to fall under the Philips patents?

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, »
I am confused about item 2 -  4m with 120 nodes would give a spacing of about 1.3" not 3.5"

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am confused about item 2 -  4m with 120 nodes would give a spacing of about 1.3" not 3.5"

Item 2 is the flexible "ribbon" strip and the nodes are closer together.  As RJ said "think LOR CCR".  The 3.5" is for Item 1 the original smart strings with individual nodes spaced 3.5" apart on a 3 wire cable.

Hope that helps.

Alan T

Offline ptone

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, »
RJ,

I'm sorry about the legal runaround.  I know you seem unflappable, but even you have to be a bit exasperated about this.

Can you fill in a couple gaps about SS now:

What is the pixel chip, is it the 1804 as some have guessed (Constant Voltage)

Are you still thinking of doing a coop for the pixel wire and stranded cat5, or did this only make sense if shipped with nodes?

Can you say anything about approximate shipping costs and times? I know you said best - but do you have a sense of what that translates to from you experience with them so far?

Thanks for all the work put in to spec this out with the factory, and in designing the boards.

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline csf

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, »
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but do we need licenses to buy them now, or is the company licensed so we don't need to worry about it.

Just want to know what I need to do to get my lights up and working :)

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, »
Thanks for the info RJ!  Can't wait to get my ssc pm for payment and link to buy nodes!!!    <pop..    >.d9    <res.
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, »
So this means that we get the quanity pricing discounts?  We could still organize a seperate purchase coop on our own?
Will

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, »
RJ, thanks for your hard work on this, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with lawyers.  I doubt I will ever understand big corporations who think they need to squeeze every last dime out of people then act indigent when someone finds a way around them.    
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, by caretaker »
Jeff Squires

Offline mnarel

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, »
Thanks RJ.... way more patience than I would ever have.

Initial pricing looks good (about $0.59 per node on strings).  My experience in ordering products from China shows an average of about 30% of base cost added on for shipping.   

Shipping from over there is based on both cubic feet and weight, so it obviously depends on what you are ordering and how dense it is, but in 5 yrs of getting everything from foam, to paper, to electronics, to metals from over there, that's a pretty good average (for DIY level quantities: ie. under 200lbs)

You can also usually ship either air or "slow boat from China' method.  Air is way more expensive, but is the usual mode quoted.  This takes anywhere from 2-5 weeks for delivery depending on factory location, port of entry, etc.   "Slow boat" can cut your shipping costs by up to 25% (down to about 20-22% of base cost) but it will take 6-12 weeks to get your order.

All this seems to translate to an end cost of either $0.75-0.77 per node air, and maybe $0.70-.72 per node by sea (if offered).  I'm just offering this up as my experience with Chinese manufacturing... obviously I have no direct knowledge of this product or manufacturer.

It would be worth knowing if they'll offer both air and sea shipping quotes though as the $0.03-0.05 differential will make a significant difference on my 5000+node order.

Also, is there any arrangement for paymentss?  Until recently most factories required payment in advance of manufacture.  In the last year or so there have been some concessions to escrow and even a few who started taking paypal.  What is the policy for these folks?  The scale of the potential sales should help keep everyone honest here, but since someof us are looking at considerable sums, a few extra layers of protection would be comforting.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, »
You will be able to work it out with them shortly as you will have the link for it and I am sure they can make you happy they have been good to me so far.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, »
RJ,

What is the pixel chip, is it the 1804 as some have guessed (Constant Voltage)

Are you still thinking of doing a coop for the pixel wire and stranded cat5, or did this only make sense if shipped with nodes?

-P

I really don't know why people are concern what chip set. I don't know and I don't care

No coop for pixel wire or stranded cat5. You can order 100 meter of wire from the china and RJ will post where to buy the cat5

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, »
Thank You!
My 2010 Videos