Author Topic: SSC programming  (Read 4039 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: SSC programming
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, »
I use the 3 pin quick connects on all my strings and my SSCs.  I keep one SSC programmed in straight string mode with 128 nodes.  That way I always have a known SSC that I can use to test lights and always use the first 128 (x3) channels for testing.  If find that xlights tester is very good and easy to use and a lot simpler/easier than having to create and/or open a sequence in Vixen to do testing with. Not withstanding that the sequence can be nothing but defined in order to use the test channels function which does nothing but turn a channel off or on as compared to xlights tester doing RGB cycling or chases, or testing different colors, etc. and more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, »
The burn in won't fix anything but will find additional node problems that may not show up initially such as colors off because either red, blue, or green led out. Or node stuck on or causing problems like nodes not coming on after the defective one. But better to find it during a burn in period than during a show :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, by keitha43 »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, »
Good write up. The only thing I would change is to mention after you click to "stop" the smartstring utility the nodes will continue to flash white until unplugged or the hub is powered down. I assumed "stop" would make them stop flashing but it won't.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, »
Thanks petandvanessa
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, »
i'd make the suggestion to help everyone be clear on things...  the terminology used.

instead of "programming" i'd like to you flashing for when you are attempting to load firmware onto a pic using a pickit device.

and use "configuring" when you are trying to use a software utility to update settings on a pic that already has firmware loaded on it.

if i started a test topic and said that i'm having trouble programming my ssc, half of you would think the first issue, and half would think the 2nd...

it's just my 2 cents, and hope it will clarify.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, »
Well, I have created a strand with 18 nodes, the original working 18 nodes; snipped the wires between 18 and 19! (power was off).
With the SSC still flashed with the test firmware, I don't have any lights now!
Not sure why that would happen.

Update: I reflashed the SSC again and it worked.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, by IndianaChristmas »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, »
congrats!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i'd make the suggestion to help everyone be clear on things...  the terminology used.

instead of "programming" i'd like to you flashing for when you are attempting to load firmware onto a pic using a pickit device.

and use "configuring" when you are trying to use a software utility to update settings on a pic that already has firmware loaded on it.

if i started a test topic and said that i'm having trouble programming my ssc, half of you would think the first issue, and half would think the 2nd...

Good point, I'll clean up the doc tomorrow and repost

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, »

I've updated the set up guide to reflect this, see doc below:

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, »
Thanks for the PDF peteandvanessa. Very nice!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, »
Thanks for the PDF peteandvanessa. Very nice!

Thanks for the comment, just trying to give something back to the wider DLA team. It's certainly been a steep learning curve for me and I found a couple of key learnings along the way and hence, I've tried to document what I did to get the smart strings working.
Hopefully it's useful to a few folks on here.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, »
I got back to looking for the problem.  I took a look at my Cat 5 cables.  Apparently one of the cables wasn't working right.  It was providing power but the data wires must have been broken.  I tested the string and it failed.  Plugged a new one I got blinky!  I trusted a cable I didn't make and it bit me!

Thanks for all the great input guys.

Eric