Author Topic: Smart String COOP info  (Read 20857 times)

Offline skulldan

Re: Smart String COOP info
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I figure here will be good too so that it is with the pricing info.
If I have figured correctly...
128 max smart string pixels per controller
1 4 meter flexible strip per controller
4 1 meter rigid strips per controller
42 square modules per controller
42 rectangle modules per controller

Trying to plan out what I can handle with the controllers / hub that I have ordered and plan to what I will need to order in the future  ;D.

Thanks again RJ

You are under guessing on the modules, check out the table in the wiki for this :

The plastic modules I came up with 120 of them on a SSC based on the current I read on them.

The Metal units use more current so they are limited 80 per SSC.

Hope this helps you.

RJ

Thanks RJ  had not noticed the updated wiki.
Dan

building my collection of blinkys

Offline ptone

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, »

The plastic modules I came up with 120 of them on a SSC based on the current I read on them.

Hope this helps you.

RJ

Sorry - but can we get clarification if the wiki is correct, it states the opposite of this:

Metal : 120
plastic rectangle : 80

I'm hoping the rectangles are the 120 ones.

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, »
RJ,

I saw the video you made that describes the process of water proofing the nodes. Is the water proofing still a necessity with the new water proofing process being applied by the manufacturer?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, »

Hope this helps you.

RJ

Sorry I believe I typed wrong since I was looking at the wiki when I did it. I can check but if that is what I gave ricky on the night we did the testing it is what is correct.

I will test one to make sure tommorrow.

RJ

Sorry - but can we get clarification if the wiki is correct, it states the opposite of this:

Metal : 120
plastic rectangle : 80

I'm hoping the rectangles are the 120 ones.

-P

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, »
RJ,

I saw the video you made that describes the process of water proofing the nodes. Is the water proofing still a necessity with the new water proofing process being applied by the manufacturer?

Can not say 100% yet but what I have seen looks very promising to not need it. I will be putting some new ones out in the florida summer so I can let you know 100% after a month or two. 

RJ

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, »
Is Florida Summer different from Florida Spring?  For water tightness and UV testing, Florida Spring seems like it would be ideal.  Monsoon one minute followed by intense sunshine the rest of the day!  While I love DIY, I do hope these are more waterproof, since I do not see dippining 1000 pixels as being fun.  And being the klutz that I am, I foresee everything in the garage being seeled except the lights!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, »
I had so little issue with the batch I used for my show this year and these are sealed much better.
Dipping them is nothing you can do 1000 pixels in a couple of hours. But I do not plan on doing mine.

Here is what I will do :

1- I will not use them where they are pulled on I will strain relief them on my mega tree like I showed I did in the video. (all pixel node strings should not have weight pulling on them). Eves, bushes ect are no issue since they are supported and not carring the whole strings weight. 

2 - I will connect them up and burn them in for a few days prior to putting them up on mega trees or anywhere that it would be hard to change a node out. This is no different than regular leds I do this with them.

RJ

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, »
Thanks RJ, what you have done here is fantastic, even if its different from what you originally planned.

I found your video (listed under the wiki for pixelnet ->> SS Lights Options) helpful, esp. when considering the great options you came up with at the top of this thread.

Now I am torn between so many ideas and options ... but thats a good problem to have!

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Lucas

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, »
On items #3 and #4 ... those can be combined (up to 80,120) in a single string ... but they cannot be controlled like individual pixels, correct?

My assumption is that they must all be treated like one RGB module (one RGB channel), whether it be 1 or 80 of them hooked together.

This differs from the node strings (#1), flex strips and ridged strips ... which are all pixel level controllable.

My understanding is that that each module ( a single square or rectangle ) is a node or pixel and can be controlled as such.
In other words each has 3 channels of control (RGB). However each module is made of multiple RGB leds which are controlled together, making up the pixel or module, which is why they are brighter.

EDIT: The smart string controller that RJ has created has a mode to allow you to control a whole string of these (or any other nodes) with just three channels as you describe should you want to do that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, by Lucas »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, »
So the wiki is correct and its 120 for metal backed square modules ... that's my interpretation of the posts in the thread, which are a little confusing.

To me I kind of like the rectangular form factor better, but I'd rather have the lower power usage (and higher max modules) of the square modules.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline deplanche

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, »
I am finding myself getting very confused here and I am hoping someone can help me out. 

This is my understanding, which may or may not be correct.  I am hoping someone can let me know one way or the other....

For the Smart Strings themselves, I think the number of LEDs (all having 3 colors each) is equal to the number of individually controllable elements (which I think is being called a node).  And we can order these in lengths of 25, 50, 75, 100, or 128.  There is a limit of 128 of these per SSC.    These can be cut/spliced from 1 to 128 nodes, given some spacing/overall length limits.

For the square and rectangular items, there are 3 LEDs item.  I think each of these counts as 1 node, but I am not certain on that.  These have to be ordered in multiples of 20, which I think means 20 nodes and 60 LEDS.  And the limit on these is different for each per the Wiki.   I think the squares are the metal backed ones, and there can be 120 nodes per SSC.  The plastic ones are the rectangles, and have a limit of 80 nodes per SSC.  I think these also can be cut/spliced from as low as 1 node to as high as the max number.

For the flexible strip, there are 120 LEDs, each of which I think is also a node.  We can only order this is 4 m lengths.  At the store, it is listed as a "set".  Only 1 set can be used per SSC.  It isn't clear if this can be cut and a shorter length used, or if it can only be used at the 4 m (13') length.

For the rigid strip, there are 30 LEDs, which I think are all nodes, for the 1 m long strip.  This are ordered in "pieces" which are the 1 m long lengths.  4 of these, can be used per SSC similiar to the flex strip, but clearly can be used in 1 m interval lengths.  Though it's not clear if this can be shortened to something less than 1 m.

So, does that sound correct?  If not, where am I wrong?

Thanks,

Jon

PS - For clarification, each "node" would have 3 channels in the software, 1 each for red, green, and blue.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, »
For the flexible strip, there are 120 LEDs, each of which I think is also a node.  We can only order this is 4 m lengths.  At the store, it is listed as a "set".  Only 1 set can be used per SSC.  It isn't clear if this can be cut and a shorter length used, or if it can only be used at the 4 m (13') length.

I think most of what you say is accurate.  I can tell you that the flexible strip product CAN be cut into smaller sections.  There are marks on the strip where this cut can be made.  It is roughly every 4 inches which is every third LED.

-Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, »
Jon, you have it correct.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, »
< The plastic ones are the rectangles, and have a limit of 80 nodes per SSC.  I think these also can be cut/spliced from as low as 1 node to as high as the max number.>

I don't believe that you can cut the rectangles.   So you have to use them in groups of three's  since there are three nodes per rectangle.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, »
My understanding is that each module (whether it be square or rectangular) is treated is a single node ... and all 3 LED(s) on that module are controlled as a group (like 1 node).    

If you daisy chain 10 modules, you have 10 nodes to control (but 30 LEDs total).

My understanding is that you can have either 80 rectangular modules or 120 square modules on a SSC.  I believe its referring to max modules and not max LED(s) [ not modules / 3 ] .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, by taybrynn »