Author Topic: Smart String COOP info  (Read 20859 times)

Offline Lucas

Re: Smart String COOP info
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, »
In my head I think of it like this:

L.E.D = Light Emitting Diode ( single light source, kind of like a silicon light bulb, 2 wires)

R.G.B = Red Green Blue ( three colours )

R.G.B. L.E.D = A LED made up of three other LEDs, one each of red green & blue, 4 wires, one of each colour and a common)

Channel = A software controlled switch which can only turn on and off a single LED or colour in a RGB LED. Hence an RGB LED requires three channels to be controlled.

Pixel / Node = A single controllable point of light.  Takes three channels to allow any colour to be created. Just like the dots in your TV or computer screen. It can made up of three LEDs one for each colour or a single RGB LED. Some pixel are made of multiple RGB LEDs for extra brightness. There might be any number of LEDs but the whole thing is still a single pixel or node.

Pixel strings are a string of small pixels/nodes typically made of 1 RGB led per pixel/node. They come in various lengths. You can cut and splice them at will, provided that you do not exceed 128 pixels/nodes and you keep the max length between nodes down to around three feet.

Square and Rectangle Pixel nodes are just that. A pixel in a square shape or a pixel in a rectangle shape. You can connect up as many or as little as you like, and you can even mix them up with the smart strings, mix and match to suit your display, the same limitations apply as the smart strings.

Flexible strip is a flexible bendable strip of 120 pixels/nodes. I believe you can cut to shorter lengths of a fixed size. It can be treated the same as the pixels/ strings above so you could have a 1 meter (3 foot) length of flexible strip (30 pixels) with 5 square pixels/nodes stuck on the end.

Rigid strip is a solid strip of 30 pixels/nodes. I dont think you can cut it, but you can connect them up to other pixels/nodes keeping in mind the above limitations.

A smart string controller (SSC) is a device which converts pixelnet data into pixel/node language. It can control a maximum of 128 pixels. It also has a limit to the amount of current or power that it can put out, so the number of devices is also limited by that. (128 pixel string nodes, 120 rectangle, 80 square, 4 rigid strips or 120 flexible strip nodes - or any other combination that uses the same amount of power. )

The smallest element you can control is a channel, but that is not that useful because you need three of them to do anything. The smallest element you can physically get is a pixel/node. The term element is confusing because it can apply to both channel or pixel, which are clearly different because a pixel needs 3 channels (RGB).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, by Lucas »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, »
when in doubt, look at the number of chips...

smart string nodes have one chip in each pixel node.
small metal backed pixels have three rgbleds, but only one chip...
the plastic rectangle has three rgbleds, but only one chip...
the flexible strip has one chip per each set of three rgbleds...

each chip is 3 channels in vixen(or other software), each rgbled is a color mixable light
the limitations are based from staying below about 4amps (roughly) and less than 128 nodes per smart string controller.

the chip is the 16pin TM1804/1809 chip that controls the R,G, and B

the pictures are not entirely accurate, as they will ALL only have three wires. DataA, Ground, and 12v.
the pictures that show 4 wires, are only giving you an idea what the hardware should look like, not necesarily the wire pinouts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, »
i wrote that each chip is three channels in vixen...   yes, i know about hybrid, and string modes. I just wrote it that way to reduce confusion. most people will be sequencing their lights in pixel mode.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Lucas

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i wrote that each chip is three channels in vixen...   yes, i know about hybrid, and string modes. I just wrote it that way to reduce confusion. most people will be sequencing their lights in pixel mode.

Except for the chip in the rigid strip, it takes 9 channels to control the three pixels per chip   ;D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, »
In my head I think of it like this:

Channel = A software controlled switch which can only turn on and off a single LED or colour in a RGB LED. Hence an RGB LED requires three channels to be controlled.

A smart string controller (SSC) is a device which converts pixelnet data into pixel/node language. It can control a maximum of 128 pixels. It also has a limit to the amount of current or power that it can put out, so the number of devices is also limited by that. (128 pixel string nodes, 120 rectangle, 80 square, 4 rigid strips or 120 flexible strip nodes - or any other combination that uses the same amount of power. )

LEDs can also be dimmed.

The SSC is limited to 128 pixel nodes but that is only for a safely reason, so we don't pull too many amps though the cat5 cable causing the wire to over heat or worst. It was purposely limited in the Controllers's firmware.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, »
This is the simple no confusion answer,

If you are running the Smart String Controller in individual mode where you can control each node seperate:

The flexible strips are 3 channel per led. So 4 meters x 30 leds per meter = 360 channels.

Each module Square or rectangle is 3 channels (forget about the 3 leds they do the same thing).

Ridge can not be cut (not reasonably anyway) it is 30 leds so it is 90 channels per bar.

I would recommend from mixing and matching different things on the same controller. The color order can get you if you do that.  not all are RGB some are BGR ect.  The SSC will handle this for you so you work with them all as RGB but not per item on the string.

If you run the SSC in String mode then:

The whole sting of whatever you have is just three channels total.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2011, »
I'm confused on ordering the flexible strip. The web site says:

4m waterproof LED digital strip by tube (DC12V input),without controller,10pcs TM1809IC/m,30pcs 5050 RGB LED/m;DC12V input
$53 for 1 Set

This sounds to me like a strip will only have 30 LEDs on it.
So for $53 I get 90 nodes not 120?
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline Lucas

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2011, »
The flexible strip has 30 RGB LEDs (pixels/nodes) per meter (30pcs 5050 RGB LED/m) so the 4m of strip gives you 120 LEDs/nodes/pixels.

- Lucas

Offline deplanche

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2011, »
If I am understanding all this correctly, then the flexistrip actually would have the lowest cost per node, at $0.44 each.  It also appears to have the lowest shipping costs on a node by node basis.  But you can only by it in 120 node (4 m) increments.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2011, »
If I am understanding all this correctly, then the flexistrip actually would have the lowest cost per node, at $0.44 each.  It also appears to have the lowest shipping costs on a node by node basis.  But you can only by it in 120 node (4 m) increments.

Flex strips may be cheaper per node, but they are almost 3 times more per foot.

So be sure you are comparing apples to apples, depending on how you are using them in your display.

Also if you covering any large area with flex strips keep in mind the extra controllers and power supplies needed.

There is a place for each of them.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, by smartcontrols »

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2011, »
If I am understanding all this correctly, then the flexistrip actually would have the lowest cost per node, at $0.44 each.  It also appears to have the lowest shipping costs on a node by node basis.  But you can only by it in 120 node (4 m) increments.

While you can only buy the strips in 4 m lengths, it can be cut (about every 4 inches)  to shorter lengths.  Shorter lengths can be reconnected with some soldering to make longer lengths (so long as they don't exceed the maximum number of nodes per controller).

-Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, »
I think the description at the vendor page for the flex strip ... is somewhat inaccurate and probably a copy and paste error.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, »
I think the description at the vendor page for the flex strip ... is somewhat inaccurate and probably a copy and paste error.

Just curious what part of the description for the flex strips did you think was inaccurate?

-Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, »
10pcs TM1809IC/m
I wasn't sure if this was correct.

It also mentions "strip by tube" and I didn't think these were strips in a flexible tube, but maybe they are.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rm357

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, »
The TM1809 is a 9 channel controller chip and can control 3 of the RGB LEDs.
There are 30 of the RGB LEDs and 10 of the RM1809 controllers per meter.

Also, the strip can be cut into pieces (as marked) with each piece containing one TM1809 and the 3 RGB LEDs that it controlls. Each piece being 100mm or about 4 inches.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA