Author Topic: Is the lynx dongle more comparable to the enttec open dmx or the enttec usb pro  (Read 5958 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Just wondering which one the lynx dongle was more comparable to.

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Enttec USB Pro

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just wondering which one the lynx dongle was more comparable to.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Is it better then the lynx dongle

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
From what I've heard, no, its not better.  Maybe about the same.  Lynx DMX might have fewer technical issues, perhaps.  Hardware wise ... both are considered the same thing ... in the software that seems to support them.  I think the main thing is cost wise, Lynx is less and you can flash it with Pixelnet (for Smart String Controller support) would could be a big advantage.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
I would consider them equal for what we use them for.  I had bought a Enttec Pro first since RJ did not have the Lynx dongle out yet.  One thing the Lynx dongle does not support is sending messages back to the PC but that is not needed for the Lynx controllers.  Then the big advantage of the Lynx dongle is the price compared to the Enttec Pro.

Todd

Is it better then the lynx dongle

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
I thought the spec for DMX communication was one way only communication. The dongle might talk back to the PC, but i don't believe anything running at spec for DMX512 talks back.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Yes DMX512 is just one way communication.  I was referring to DMX RDM which the Enttec Pro does support.

I thought the spec for DMX communication was one way only communication. The dongle might talk back to the PC, but i don't believe anything running at spec for DMX512 talks back.

Offline mokeefe

You are correct that DMX512 is essentially a one-way communications protocol. However, there are many applications where you want to have the PC (via the USB DMX Dongle) to act as a receiver of DMX data from another controller.  In theater applications, for example, PC based sound effects programs can be triggered by DMX data sent from a lighting console. For our lighting animation needs, being able to receive DMX at the PC is not all that useful (for now).

-Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
good to know.

would there be a use in the diy world for it?  I dont know anything about that protocol.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Just wondering ... can you flash either one with Pixelnet ?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
well i was just wondering which one was better. Im needing a dongle right now. But RJ only has enough pcbs for the coop that ended.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
And enttec has a rdm usb pro protocol also. Butttt its 700.00 dollars, so that's a big no for right now.

Offline mokeefe

And enttec has a rdm usb pro protocol also. Butttt its 700.00 dollars, so that's a big no for right now.

Yeah, at that price it makes no sense, nor is there a need for it in our applications.

I see that enttec has device called the Open DMX USB interface which is a send only device that lists for $60.  That's pretty close to the cost of Lynx Dongle counting parts, PC board, and case.  I don't know if it's compatible with any of the sequencing software, but I do see a Vixen link listed on their page.  Might be worth investigating.

-Mike

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
There was something on here about the open dmx not being stable enough to set the channels on the controllers. I think Rj posted it.

Offline mokeefe

There was something on here about the open dmx not being stable enough to set the channels on the controllers. I think Rj posted it.

Here's a link to a brief discussion on the limitations of the Enttec Open DMX unit:

-Mike