Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 15770 times)

Offline urthegman

Power Supply Question
« on: February 25, 2011, »
I have calculated my power consumption at maximum to be approximately 45 amps and approximately 500 watts. Other than spending too much money, can any damage be done by using a power supply rated for 750 watts or on the flip side are there any advantages? Also what type of connector for the hub should the supply have. Thanks in advance for any help. George

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, »
a 750 watt power supply is rated for all the rails in the supply combined.

you want to look at the supply's Amp rating on the 12v rail. and it's a good idea to get a single rail power supply.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, »
SS Hub -  Power Supplies - last updated 3/3/2010

All prices shown are price including shipping.  AR=after rebate price  Some old prices may be striked out.

21A / $14 (AR) $24 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  [RAIDMAX] **unproven brand**

29a / $29 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [EPOWER] **unproven brand**

34a / $51 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [EPOWER] **unproven brand**

40a / $40 $64 NO STOCK ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ANTEC, 80 PLUS] ;D

40a / $60 (FS, amazon) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [CORSAIR]  ;D

50a / $60 $96 $66 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ROSEWILL, 80 PLUS] :(

52a / $61 (AR) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [CORSAIR, 80 PLUS]  ;D ;D
...3/3 $81 with code EMCKGKG26 . A $20 prepaid card is available by mail-in rebate.

53a / $80 (AR) $104 .... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  [CORSAIR, 80 PLUS BRONZE] ;D

54a / $70 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ROSEWILL, 80 PLUS] :(

60a / $100 (AR) $90 (AR) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [CORSAIR, 80 PLUS]  ;D
...3/3 $99 with code EMCKGKG26, FS. A $10 prepaid card is available by rebate.

60a / $80 AR ** PROMO CODE EMCKGKB22 $10 OFF, $20 REBATE ** ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ CORSAIR, 80 PLUS ] ... same supply as above, just on Mardi Gras Sale

69a / $97 (AR) $122 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ THERMALTAKE, 80 PLUS BRONZE]  ???

70a / $125 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [SEASONIC, 80 PLUS SILVER]  ;D ;D

85a / $146 (AR) $159 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [XCLIO]  ???

104a / $216 (AR) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  [OCZ, 80 PLUS GOLD]  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, »
Do not use Rosewill....please.  Here is a list of makers to avoid

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Arrow,
Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxconn
Foxlink
Hercules
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Key Mouse
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
Macron Power
MGE
Mustang
Okia
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
QMax
Qtec
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Real PC Power
Rhycon
Robanton
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Thermaltake (SIRTEC and non-Toughpower Units)
TMP-ANS
Tsunami
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (X-Connect only)
US-Can
Viomax

No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline mnarel

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, »
"What do you mean 'Don't cross the streams'?"

"It would be bad."

"What do you mean 'bad'?"

"Imagine all life on earth ending in an instant as every molecule in your body explodes outward at the speed of light".

"Ok, that's 'bad'.   Important safety tip."

Gonna need a judges ruling on that list above.  I've used four of the brands listed above in computer systems over the years without a hitch.  These systems ran (some stilll run) 24/day for YEARS without a power problem.   I definitely appreciate any guidance on brands or models to avoid, but by what criteria are you eliminating what looks like about 40% of the ATX power supplies in American homes today? 
 ... And what does 'bad' mean.   Will these burn down my house?  fry my smart strings and hub?  or just die an untimely death in my garage when murphy finds an opportune time?

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, »
These power supplies makers have been shown repeatedly in numerous PC systems to fail...and sometimes in a spectacular fashion.  If you want to debate me..that is fine.  But if you can get any reputable PC review site, especially one that focuses on PC supples, to recommend any in that list...I would be SHOCKED.

And even if vendors above finally managed to outsource to a reputable house, there is no guarantee that model will stay at the same builder.  In short...Rosewill could make (they don't make squat, it is built by some third party) a good supply, but who knows how long that will last.  Companies like Antec, Power PC&C, Corsair, BFG, OCZ, and a few others have been shown to have a 5 year+ good track record.  Hell Power PC&C actually send you a report from their certified tester including full load tests.  Open up a Rosewill and a good vendors supply...it is night and day difference in terms of quality.

Now, if you want to hook up a few hundred if not thousand dollars of equipment to the cheapest supply builder, that is your choice.  But if a friend asks me for my advice, I could not recommend the above in good faith.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, »
a 750 watt power supply is rated for all the rails in the supply combined.

you want to look at the supply's Amp rating on the 12v rail. and it's a good idea to get a single rail power supply.
Thanks Chris, I have been looking at single rail only, my question is can you have a supply that provides too many amps or will the smart string hub only draw what is necessary? I don't want to damage anything by providing too much power   <md.. LOL

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, »
25a for $25 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

40a for $40 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

50a for $60 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

54a for $70 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

69a for $97 (25 rebate) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

70a for $125 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

78a for $146 ($10 rebate) ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks Taybrinn, Are there any specific ATX connectors we should be looking for? I have come across different versions ie. : v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 , ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91, ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 and I'm just wondering which one the hub requires. Thanks for all the links as well. Ever since I started looking I get a banner in my AOL email account window for Newegg power supplies, talk about your direct marketing!!! LOL
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, by urthegman »

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, »
Do not use Rosewill....please.  Here is a list of makers to avoid

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Arrow,
Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxconn
Foxlink
Hercules
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Key Mouse
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
Macron Power
MGE
Mustang
Okia
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
QMax
Qtec
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Real PC Power
Rhycon
Robanton
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Thermaltake (SIRTEC and non-Toughpower Units)
TMP-ANS
Tsunami
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (X-Connect only)
US-Can
Viomax

Thanks Trep, I have been leaning toward a Corsair so I'm glad they are not on your list and that we can all benefit from you doing your homework. LOL

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, »
should be similar to a PC, if the supply has more amps than is needed, the hub will draw what it needs.

I don't know the exact percentage of hand, but RJ reccomended getting a supply where your requirements are about 75-80% (i think) of the power supply's capabilities.

if you get it too close, you may find the supply getting overworked or getting "hot" which will cause stress and eventually failure  (release of the magic smoke)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, »
I think all you need to be sure of is: (1) single rail (2) amp rating at 12V exceeds your requirements by say 20-30% and (3) its an ATX power supply.  I don't think going over (the required amps) will hurt a thing, but will determine how many things you could (someday) put onto that SS Hub.  Consider what your load might be when that SS Hub is fully loaded (all 16 ports used), if your only using say 6 of the 16 ports in the first year.  

So if you determined that with all 16 ports in a SS Hub connected, that you only needed 30 amps ... then I would minimally take 30 * .2 (20%) and/or 30 *.3 and get at least a 36-39a rated supply ... and that would be 36-39a continuous and not just peak.

I've owned several rosewill supplies and never had a problem with them.  But that said, its nice to know who the better quality PS makers are.  Since we could be pushing the limits of these supplies, I'd buy the best quality you can afford.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, »
oh yeah, one more tidbit...

newegg is more common in their reporting of how many 12v rails a power supply has. I'm not saying everyone should buy there, but at least do your specs research there. Then you can buy the model from anywhere you normally use.

Most places dont really report the number of rails as it's not really that important while a supply is fitted in a computer. (one rail usually goes to the small 12v motherboard connector, one to the drives and/or the 20/24 pin motherboard connector, or even those are seperated, etc...  each "rail" goes to a different part of the computer,

but with a smart string hub, you need to harness all that atx supplied amperage. if you get a multiple rails power supply, you'll get the rail from the 20/24pin connector, and the 4pin hard drive cables if you connect them ( i reccomend it), but if there's a rail going to something else, it wont get connected, and wont be part of the hub power.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, by chrisatpsu »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, »
I guess I  am a test pilot!  I used rosewell power supply to power my MEGA TREE!   <fp.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, »
I was not exactly sure just what the rails were.  I know it was more then one source or supply of the 12 volts.  I googled it and found this.  It helped me to understand it more. 

A short history of PC power supply voltage rails

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, »
I dont know much about the power supplies...what about this one?

Will